Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

We all agree its cold now, so why are.....

Wikiposts

We all agree its cold now, so why are.....

Old Jun 8th 2011, 12:49 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We all agree its cold now, so why are.....

I wonder how some of todays kids would feel if they had those restrictions of that era - as in no computers, mobiles, TV on demand, restricted bedtimes.

Forced to do games at school, eat what their parents tell them to and when they tell them to, make their own entertainment outside and play with their mates in all weathers.

Only get the clothes that their parents can afford and live within the restrictions of finance.

Last edited by Cheetah7; Jun 8th 2011 at 12:51 am.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 12:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishbloo
We got a pound between the six of us.Somehow we got loads with it.
Thats coz you used to get three or four penny chews to a penny.... I remember the first time I spent a whole pound on sweets ... I was given it for my birthday and was taken to the sweet shop on the corner at my grandparents in clacton and told to spend the whole thing!!!!!!

I brought flying saucers, fruit salads, sweet cigarettes, coconut tobacco, black jacks, chocolate mice..... I must have had at least one of evrything on the counter.... It was magic!
Old Jun 8th 2011, 12:53 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Thats coz you used to get three or four penny chews to a penny.... I remember the first time I spent a whole pound on sweets ... I was given it for my birthday and was taken to the sweet shop on the corner at my grandparents in clacton and told to spend the whole thing!!!!!!

I brought flying saucers, fruit salads, sweet cigarettes, coconut tobacco, black jacks, chocolate mice..... I must have had at least one of evrything on the counter.... It was magic!
Chocolate mice! fizzy cola bottles, pear drops, - oh god to fill up a little bag with goodies like that and they would last me ages, well until my sisters nabbed them.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 12:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I wonder how some of todays kids would feel if they had those restrictions - as in no computers, mobiles, TV on demand, restricted bedtimes.

Forced to do games at school, eat what their parents tell them to and when they tell them to, make their own entertainment outside and play with their mates in all weathers.

Only get the clothes that their parents can afford and live within the restrictions of finance.
Ummmmm... Hateto tell you this mate, dont get too nostalgic,..... My kids eat what they're given... When they're given it.... Ok they can fix themselves a snack, but meals are set... As is sitting down together to eat it...

Tv is limited

They are always off out doing stuff with other kids in All weathers

They only get the clothes they need/ we can afford... No branding ....

I thinks its australia... They can have the kind of childhood we had in the sixties/early seventies without the pressure of peers... With freedom.... A proper childhood....We have NEVER once heard "I want because all my friends have" I think thre's altogether less of that in perf.... Well certainly the area we live in

The only difference is... A penny chew now costs 25 cts
Old Jun 8th 2011, 12:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Only sport i enjoyed was hockey... And thats coz I got to wield an offensive weapon and cause injury, pain and destruction in a ligitimate arena...
Your name's not Heather Mollett is it?
Old Jun 8th 2011, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Now,if I dropped a pound I dont think I would have the energy to bend down and pick it up.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Your name's not Heather Mollett is it?
Nope its Eddie
Old Jun 8th 2011, 12:59 am

Ummmmm... Hateto tell you this mate, dont get too nostalgic,..... My kids eat what they're given... When they're given it.... Ok they can fix themselves a snack, but meals are set... As is sitting down together to eat it...

Tv is limited

They are always off out doing stuff with other kids in All weathers

They only get the clothes they need/ we can afford... No branding ....

I thinks its australia... They can have the kind of childhood we had in the sixties/early seventies without the pressure of peers... With freedom.... A proper childhood....We have NEVER once heard "I want because all my friends have" I think thre's altogether less of that in perf.... Well certainly the area we live in

The only difference is... A penny chew now costs 25 cts
Deffo right, I think it is the childhood we had for sure.

My nephews would be horrified to live here, they seem to have so much more where they are materialistically, they are more grown up and just 'older'. Our lives here would not suit them.

But you know what, I know which I would prefer and I reckon your kids are very lucky (we all know how I feel about Mumbles)

Now can someone please get me a flake.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 1:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by irishbloo
Now,if I dropped a pound I dont think I would have the energy to bend down and pick it up.
Its probably not WORTH bending down to pick it up...

Saying used to be

See a penny pick it up and all daylong you'll have good luck...

Nowadays its see a fifty buck note and pick it up.... Etc etc etc
Old Jun 8th 2011, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Nope its Eddie
Eddie007 .
Old Jun 8th 2011, 1:02 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Nope its Eddie
She was a bitch at Hockey.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 1:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
She was a bitch at Hockey.
So was eddie
Old Jun 8th 2011, 9:40 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Blakes seven... Yep but a pound!!!!! 20p paid for my Beano comic And sweeties... Never had a pound!!!!!
I used to get 20p a day pocket money - my lil'bro got 25p cos the suckarse used to get up early and set the fire.

I remember the ecstatic joy of changing to weekly pocket money after my Auntie bought me a record player, so I could spend 75p on a single (there was no way I could have saved 4 days pocket money otherwise.. lol.. things don't change much )
Old Jun 8th 2011, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I used to get 20p a day pocket money - my lil'bro got 25p cos the suckarse used to get up early and set the fire.

I remember the ecstatic joy of changing to weekly pocket money after my Auntie bought me a record player, so I could spend 75p on a single (there was no way I could have saved 4 days pocket money otherwise.. lol.. things don't change much )
20pa day... Jeez yer rich barsteward
Old Jun 8th 2011, 9:48 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

20pa day... Jeez yer rich barsteward
lol.. we were really lucky as kids, thinking back. My dad worked at the Steel plant in Consett which was shut down when I was about 11. He couldn't get a proper job for another couple of years, we managed on my mam's wage as a doctor's receptionist and whatever my dad could get - windowcleaning blah blah etc - but me and my brother were completely unaware of any hardship. They scrimped and saved to make sure we had what we needed (not necessarily what we wanted, but everything we needed).

I love my mam and dad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.