Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Watch BBC iPlayer anywhere in the world

Watch BBC iPlayer anywhere in the world

Old Aug 20th 2016, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Watch BBC iPlayer anywhere in the world

This has probably been mentioned elsewhere in other threads but the latest edition of ComputerActive magazine has a workshop showing how you can watch BBC iPlayer from anywhere in the world. I've scanned the article and post it here in 4 bits in case it is of use to any BE'ers who weren't aware of it.

<<<SNIP>>>

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 21st 2016 at 12:55 pm. Reason: Copyright infringement. Please post links to the article. Thanks
Old Aug 21st 2016, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Watch BBC iPlayer anywhere in the world

I use a DNS (Getflix).

But I thought the changes coming in on 1st September regarding licence fee and iplayer will stop VPNs being used to access Iplayer?
Old Aug 21st 2016, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
I use a DNS (Getflix).

But I thought the changes coming in on 1st September regarding licence fee and iplayer will stop VPNs being used to access Iplayer?
Well the magazine published this 10 days before the change and didn't mention that it won't work after the changes? Try it after 1/9.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly, can't get this to work with BBC iPlayer.

Despite what the article says there's no option to select the UK in the drop-down menu. As per the illustration in Step 3, you only get options to select 'Optimal Location', Canada, Germany, Netherlands, Singapore and United States.

BBC iPlayer obviously doesn't like any of them and won't work. If anyone can tell me how to select United Kingdom when there's no option for it, I'd be very grateful..
Old Sep 5th 2016, 5:00 pm
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering if there has been any problems accessing BBC iPlayer and the suchlike since the changes closing the licence loophole last week? I'm returning to Australia next month and was thinking about setting up UnoTelly again or a VPN for such things when I get back.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

No.

All that happens now is you get a pop-up box that asks you to confirm that you have a TV Licence.

Click 'Yes' and everything works like it used to.

We use UnoTelly. Since Netflix put the screws on, you will see that UnoTelly has changed it's appearance and doesn't 'offer' overseas TV viewing. Still appears to works like it used to, with the exception of Netflix.

Last edited by withabix; Sep 5th 2016 at 5:06 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 5:08 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
No.

All that happens now is you get a pop-up box that asks you to confirm that you have a TV Licence.

Click 'Yes' and everything works like it used to.

We use UnoTelly. Since Netflix put the screws on, you will see that UnoTelly has changed it's appearance and doesn't 'offer' overseas TV viewing. Still appears to works like it used to, with the exception of Netflix.
I am confused about Unotelly these days, as the VPN works but not the smartDNS, The web site shows all of their region pickers to be down. Are you using DNS or VPN?
https://www2.unotelly.com/dynamo
Old Sep 5th 2016, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

The DNS is still working fine for me.

We have the VPN as well, but only use that for logging on to some UK websites that block overseas logins.

Region Picker seems to work, its just the message at the top that suggests it doesn't.

Try submitting a support message - they usually respond almost immediately.