Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Wanted down under prog

Wanted down under prog

Old Jul 19th 2010, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

wannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nice
Default Wanted down under prog

repeats of wanted down under revisited programmes are being shown again.
today at 2pm - bbc 2 is the family from Warrington that went to the gold coast I think. Hopefully they are still there and still enjoying their new life, anyone know? Worth watching to see different areas of australia.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

Dee01 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wanted down under prog

Originally Posted by wannabees
repeats of wanted down under revisited programmes are being shown again.
today at 2pm - bbc 2 is the family from Warrington that went to the gold coast I think. Hopefully they are still there and still enjoying their new life, anyone know? Worth watching to see different areas of australia.
Its worth watching as I have ping ponged, returning in Jan 2011 with partner and baby who have never set foot on Aussie shores, so been making him watch but some are unrealistic, they get job offers off pat, the one I watched yesterday was an ex-pro footballer now electrician but with a porche in the drive here in UK and a £500 000 house in Cheshire. He set up his own business after a few months as didn't want to work for a boss and it shows their million dollar pad on the gold coast with all the mod cons etc... can be a bit misleading for the average joe looking for a new life downunder!
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chippy01
Its worth watching as I have ping ponged, returning in Jan 2011 with partner and baby who have never set foot on Aussie shores, so been making him watch but some are unrealistic, they get job offers off pat, the one I watched yesterday was an ex-pro footballer now electrician but with a porche in the drive here in UK and a £500 000 house in Cheshire. He set up his own business after a few months as didn't want to work for a boss and it shows their million dollar pad on the gold coast with all the mod cons etc... can be a bit misleading for the average joe looking for a new life downunder!
Why not? What's wrong with seeing people from all types of financial backgrounds. In the last series I watched hardly anyone had more than $250k to spend on a house and they were nearly all looking at jobs paying around $50k. I think many people would not be able to relate to that either.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Why not? What's wrong with seeing people from all types of financial backgrounds. In the last series I watched hardly anyone had more than $250k to spend on a house and they were nearly all looking at jobs paying around $50k. I think many people would not be able to relate to that either.
Sorry if I came across as negative, you may have mis-read my post but I did start my reply by saying "its worth watching!" and I have been eagerly watching each episode as broadcast what I was trying to get across that it was the first episode my partner had watched and it was (I feel personally) the wrong one for him to watch as I was trying to "sell" our move to Aus to him, and yes he has now seen some other episodes
Old Jul 30th 2010, 12:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chippy01
Sorry if I came across as negative, you may have mis-read my post but I did start my reply by saying "its worth watching!" and I have been eagerly watching each episode as broadcast what I was trying to get across that it was the first episode my partner had watched and it was (I feel personally) the wrong one for him to watch as I was trying to "sell" our move to Aus to him, and yes he has now seen some other episodes
I was just referring to your comments that it is "unrealistic" and "misleading" to include somebody just because they have more money than you believe is the average. Because by definition 50pc of people will always be above the "average".
Old Jul 30th 2010, 12:40 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

by definition 50pc of people will always be above the "average".
Actually they won't.

Large numbers from few people raise the average above what is representative of the majority.

Now it's years since I had my maths hat on but isn't it the mean that helps smooth that out?

To put it another way I'm being pernickety today Bermuda.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 12:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bix
Actually they won't.

Large numbers from few people raise the average above what is representative of the majority.

Now it's years since I had my maths hat on but isn't it the mean that helps smooth that out?

Old Jul 30th 2010, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bix
Actually they won't.

Eh, what are you waffling on about. Without going into all the details of different types of averages, they are by and large in the middle. Hence you get people above and people below. It doesn't take much maths skill to understand what an average is.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 1:31 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Eh, what are you waffling on about.
I'll have you know many, many years of misspent time have gone into perfecting said waffle.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 1:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Confess... I defy ANYONE who has made the move to deny the fact that they watched ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING that pertained to australia... from Wanted Down Under to the Worlds deadliest snakes, Border control, Australian Chef programs... you name it, we watched it...... anything that merely mentioned Australia became compulsary viewing... and for some of us we extended that to include NZ too... (we didn't know how far away and how different NZ was from Aus... we do now)

The program is about "the promised land... where the streets are paved with gold... OF COURSE ITS WORTH THE WATCH!!!!
Old Jul 30th 2010, 1:53 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Aye, we were the same Eddie.
Sponges for anything mentioning Australia.

Same on the internet too.
Favourites folder chock a block.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 1:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Aye, we were the same Eddie.
Sponges for anything mentioning Australia.

Same on the internet too.
Favourites folder chock a block.
Ozophiles mate...
Old Jul 30th 2010, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

Because by definition 50pc of people will always be above the "average".
Eh, what are you waffling on about. Without going into all the details of different types of averages, they are by and large in the middle. Hence you get people above and people below. It doesn't take much maths skill to understand what an average is.
??
Someone earns 40k
Someone earns 60k
Someone earns 110k

Average 70k. 2 under 1 over, not 50% is it.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Gjn200
??
Someone earns 40k
Someone earns 60k
Someone earns 110k

Average 70k. 2 under 1 over, not 50% is it.
dunno... my maths aint that brilliant on my days off.... ask me tomorrow
Old Jul 30th 2010, 7:24 pm
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by eddie007
Confess... I defy ANYONE who has made the move to deny the fact that they watched ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING that pertained to australia... from Wanted Down Under to the Worlds deadliest snakes, Border control, Australian Chef programs... you name it, we watched it...... anything that merely mentioned Australia became compulsary viewing... and for some of us we extended that to include NZ too... (we :didn't know how far away and how different NZ was from Aus... we do now)

The program is about "the promised land... where the streets are paved with gold... OF COURSE ITS WORTH THE WATCH!!!!

Russell Coight - All Aussie Adventures. We love that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.