Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Waiting for the iPhone

Waiting for the iPhone

Old Aug 4th 2008, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of
Default Waiting for the iPhone

is anyone else seriously contemplating shedding blood at their local Optus World store waiting for the global shortage of iPhones to be rectified?

I have been waiting 2.5 weeks now since signing up to my contract...

GRRR
Old Aug 4th 2008, 7:19 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waiting for the iPhone

I waited and although placed a pre-order didnt go through with it.

Frankly I'm glad for a number of reasons, but primarily that telco's are now having to reconsider things in terms of the packages.

Virgin mobiles plan for iphone basically wins hands down now and since they use the Optus network there is no real difference.

I'm still holding back and will see what happens once stock of the 16gig is actually readily available.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

ianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud of

Im waiting for it on 3 and the release of a 32Gb one before taking the plunge with the 3G version.

Have had a 1st Gen iPhone since the US launch so not too bothered about upgrading, not a surpirse that stock has been short over here though its impossible to get anything new :curse:
Old Aug 4th 2008, 10:39 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I think the excess data rates are killer over here, Telstra get you by the balls.

The GPS/Map function is ment to chew data.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 8:44 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pommy Dan
is anyone else seriously contemplating shedding blood at their local Optus World store waiting for the global shortage of iPhones to be rectified?

GRRR
Ohhhh, tell me about it!!!!! :curse:

Ordered mine 3 weeks ago and still waiting - bloody useless Optus scrotes!!!

Have been told so much crap - first I was 10th on the list, then she was gonna move me to 1st place - rang up next day and spoke to the bloke that sold it to me (told previous day he had been sacked ????) only to be told I was 6th on the list!!!???

Wouldnt mind but am paying for the contract for a phone I dont yet have!!

Grrrrr..........!!!!
Old Aug 4th 2008, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Ohhhh, tell me about it!!!!! :curse:

Ordered mine 3 weeks ago and still waiting - bloody useless Optus scrotes!!!

Grrrrr..........!!!!

Call the TIO, make a complaint that they wont let you out of your contract even though you haven't got the phone. He'll give you a special complaint line for Optus that they HAVE to take seriously.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 12:09 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer

Grrrrr..........!!!!
Tell me about it - being doing likewise for a car for 2 months. It finally arrived at the lease company last week - with a broken window.

(The Geek got his iPhone the day it was released. I almost killed him when he confessed how much it's costing him in total contract fees, when he gets a paid company phone. :curse: )
Old Aug 5th 2008, 12:55 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

A few people I know in the UK didn't rate it that much and one mate wished he hadn't committed himself to it.

My Dad has got one of the LG Viewty(?) phones and said that is shite, battery runs down super quick.

I went for the latest Nokia N95 (I think it is) and so far I am impressed.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 12:59 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
A few people I know in the UK didn't rate it that much and one mate wished he hadn't committed himself to it.

My Dad has got one of the LG Viewty(?) phones and said that is shite, battery runs down super quick.

I went for the latest Nokia N95 (I think it is) and so far I am impressed.
I think the iphone is way overrated. It's a fashion statement more than anything else. I have the HTC Tytn II, and although it's an awesome piece of technology, the actual phone function is a pile of crap. The phone I would buy right now is the Nokia E71.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 1:18 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
... It's a fashion statement more than anything else. ...
Oh god yes. Just for the fanbois and grrls. The Geek doesn't even use his as a phone. (He could have worse vices, so what can I say? )

Good feedback on the Viewty, PP, thanks. I'm looking for something to replace my dying O2 and would have considered that as it has a stylus.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 2:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Considering the iphone2 has already come out in the UK, I'd say it's a waste of money getting this. Haven't met anyone who was actually impressed once they started using it anyway.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pommy Dan

GRRR
I'm getting a HTC Touch Pro as it's more important to have a functional PDA rather than a fashion statement. A few people at work have the new iPhones and they seem pretty but not very useful to me.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

ianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Haven't met anyone who was actually impressed once they started using it anyway.
Depends what you want from a phone I suppose, if you want an all in one media device which syncs everything between your phone and your computers all in one fantastic UI then it cant be touched by anything else on the market.

As a standalone phone its not the greatest but as an all in one package nothing comes close IMO.

As usual its way to easy to just dismiss it as a "fad" or a "fashion statement" with it being an Apple product, same as the laptops I suppose which also fall into the same bracket for useability.

Last edited by ianhutch1; Aug 5th 2008 at 3:36 am.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianhutch1
Depends what you want from a phone I suppose, if you want an all in one media device which syncs everything between your phone and your computers all in one fantastic UI then it cant be touched by anything else on the market.

As a standalone phone its not the greatest but as an all in one package nothing comes close IMO.

As usual its way to easy to just dismiss it as a "fad" or a "fashion statement" with it being an Apple product, same as the laptops I suppose which also fall into the same bracket for useability.

Exactly! I've been looking and waiting for an all-in-one PDA which syncs seamlessly, out of the box, with my Macs for years.

Not too fussed about the phone aspect as nobody ever calls me out of work anyway

I resisted the temptation to rush out and buy one on day 1 and prefer to wait until they get real with the data plans.

Excess data charges can be a killer. I heard on ABC radio that 1GB of excess usage with Virgin would result in a $15k phone bill.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 9:34 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tictac
Exactly! I've been looking and waiting for an all-in-one PDA which syncs seamlessly, out of the box, with my Macs for years.

Not too fussed about the phone aspect as nobody ever calls me out of work anyway

I resisted the temptation to rush out and buy one on day 1 and prefer to wait until they get real with the data plans.

Excess data charges can be a killer. I heard on ABC radio that 1GB of excess usage with Virgin would result in a $15k phone bill.
Nope - Virgin are offering 5 GIG per month and $520 of credit for $100 per month.

Now thats actually good value for a change from an Australian Telco.

Virgin have the best plan out there and I dont think any of the other companies are going to match it. Vodafone has patchy 3G, Telstra is...Telstra and 3 havn't got it.

If you are after a simple phone then there are better out there. Nokia is about to release the N96.

If you want something to synch seemlessly, actually be able to use the real internet, have an ipod, play games and about the only thing it doesnt do it make coffee (yet) the iphone is hands down the best product out there and makes all the other smart phones look like Tomy My First Phone.

I already use an Ipod Touch and thats the same thing without the calling and camera features of the iphone and it, quite simply, is amazingly slick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.