voyager 1

Old Sep 14th 2013, 2:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: voyager 1

Originally Posted by GarryP
Probably a more interesting question for alpha centauri, given its actually part of a triple star system with orbits for the main pair at roughly the distance of Pluto.

In general their heliopause distances are probably comparable to the sun's, or maybe slightly more (alpha centauri is bigger than the sun). That leaves a lot of space inbetween. If you assume that it has an oort cloud similar to the sun, then you'd have:

<---1 light year---> <--------2 light years --------> <---1 light year --->
Sun ...................... Oort Cloud ................................. Oort Cloud ..............Alpha Centauri

Or maybe the 2 light year space between the edges of the cloud are filled with such debris where the gravitational binding gradually switches between star systems. Nobody knows.
somewhere around uranus would've been a funnier answer
Old Sep 14th 2013, 3:42 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Probably a more interesting question for alpha centauri, given its actually part of a triple star system with orbits for the main pair at roughly the distance of Pluto.

In general their heliopause distances are probably comparable to the sun's, or maybe slightly more (alpha centauri is bigger than the sun). That leaves a lot of space inbetween. If you assume that it has an oort cloud similar to the sun, then you'd have:

<---1 light year---> <--------2 light years --------> <---1 light year --->
Sun ...................... Oort Cloud ................................. Oort Cloud ..............Alpha Centauri

Or maybe the 2 light year space between the edges of the cloud are filled with such debris where the gravitational binding gradually switches between star systems. Nobody knows.
i wonder if i'll still be alive when the alpha centauri eats the voyager

or will there be a tug-o-war between the sun and the nearest star
Old Sep 14th 2013, 4:08 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
somewhere around uranus would've been a funnier answer
Would it, would it really?

Originally Posted by commonwealth
i wonder if i'll still be alive when the alpha centauri eats the voyager

or will there be a tug-o-war between the sun and the nearest star
No, they wouldn't get to Alpha Centauri before 70000 CE, and IIRC the direction of Voyagers 1 & 2 isn't towards Alpha Centauri anyway. Voyager 1 went 'up' out of the ecliptic (eg northern hemisphere) towards Ophiuchus and Voyager 2 stayed mainly in the ecliptic, towards Sagittarius. Neither therefore went south - towards Alpha Centauri.

See http://www.heavens-above.com/SolarEscape.aspx

And with the slow escape speeds of either craft, the stars aren't going to be in their current position when they get there anyway.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

By the time it get as far as Alpha Centauri RDA will have already strip mined Pandora for its Unobtanium. Any remaining Navii will no doubt give it the finger as it passes by.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 4:54 am
Account Closed

Would it, would it really?

yes, yes it would, I'm very immature
Old Sep 14th 2013, 10:04 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it would.

Steve, did anyone ever say you are immature?
Old Sep 15th 2013, 9:38 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Steve, you're soooo immature
Old Sep 15th 2013, 9:54 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
See.
I must have had a psychic moment and foretold someone was going to say it.
I should be on that sceptic thread.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Had to laugh at the mention of Oort clouds back there - I read that as Ort clouds and for us stitchers Orts are the little bits of yarn that get snipped off when you get to the end to your thread - some of us have Ort boxes (to be shared with birds at nesting time, often) so the thought of the sun on an Ort cloud was just precious - then I noticed the missing O - what a difference an O makes!

I thought Voyager 1 had gone long ago!
Old Sep 15th 2013, 11:22 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Had to laugh at the mention of Oort clouds back there - I read that as Ort clouds and for us stitchers Orts are the little bits of yarn that get snipped off when you get to the end to your thread - some of us have Ort boxes (to be shared with birds at nesting time, often) so the thought of the sun on an Ort cloud was just precious - then I noticed the missing O - what a difference an O makes!
Named after Jan Oort, who's idea it was, it's actually not far off your description - the bits of stuff left over from the local group of stars forming out of the gas cloud. It's thought to be the origin of the new, long period comets that bombard the solar system every so often (their aphelion all tend to be out at a light year).

There's a bunch of comets due soon, Comet ISON, and Comet Lovejoy amongst them - though probably not as bright as hoped.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 5:57 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bix
Yes it would.

Steve, did anyone ever say you are immature?
Originally Posted by Kapri
Originally Posted by Bix
See.
I must have had a psychic moment and foretold someone was going to say it.
I should be on that sceptic thread.
it's a reputation I do my utmost to cultivate, and I'm 45 1/2
Old Sep 16th 2013, 11:13 am
Bix
da Bonehead

it's a reputation I do my utmost to cultivate, and I'm 45 1/2

It can take a lifetime I'm led to believe. A bit like attaining zen.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 11:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
But it will be back, in Star Trek: The Motion Picture...

S
A terrible movie but followed by one of the best scifi films of all time - The Wrath of Khan
Old Sep 16th 2013, 11:48 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
A terrible movie but followed by one of the best scifi films of all time - The Wrath of Khan

Yup - one of the greatest. The new 'Khan' film was a poor and lame imitation.

S
Old Sep 16th 2013, 11:53 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

do we even know if voyager 1 really exists? isn't it one of the propaganda stories of the USA?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.