Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Vitamin D deficiency.

Vitamin D deficiency.

Old Mar 24th 2012, 1:13 pm
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Vitamin D deficiency.

Originally Posted by Cheetah7
I have to avoid the sun or any flouro lights completely as it makes me feel so ill. On the 8000iu doseage a day, I have noticed a change in the amount of bone pain I get with my AI illness, as in a way it has reduced greatly.

If I go out in the sun I get a rash on my cheeks and my neck and feel shite for ages afterwards.
How do I say this politely... WTF are you doing here then? The country with the highest solar radiation... FFS I though I had the best reason to leave here... But you have your health to consider.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 1:19 pm
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I was diagnosed with vitamin D deficiency too. Calcium levels are great, but vitamin D is low. Doctor said get 15-20 minutes of sunlight daily but for me 20 minutes in the sun without SPF 30 equals sunburn.

It doesn't if you do it in 5 or 10 minute intervals. It's the accumulative effect that you're after

Last edited by furbacchione; Mar 24th 2012 at 1:21 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 1:23 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by furbacchione
How do I say this politely... WTF are you doing here then? The country with the highest solar radiation...
And how do I say this politely?

Is it that hard to NOT understand or grasp anything I have written in the way of explanation?

I was NOT diagnosed with Sjogrens until the end of last year, I have lived here for 4 years - our lives are here.

Doctors reckon I could have had this in the UK - undiagnosed but not as bad - symptomatic with the sun but nothing pinpointed to symptoms flaring in relation to UV.

It has slowly flared in Australia, if I move back to the UK - the illness is advanced enough I would still have symptoms with a stark trade off of more crap asthma which I had in the UK.

I have a house here, my life is here - I sell up, piss off and move back to the UK to gamble on the fact the Sjogrens 'may' improve with lesser UV but have been told it is not a guarantee, but for sure my asthma will become shit again.

So I am not only adapting with a recent diagnosis of a lifetime illness for which there is no cure, but a new way of living the life in the country that I choose to live in. There is a trade off for either country when it comes to health.

There are thousands of people with Sjogrens in the UK - UV or no UV, this is my lot and I am stuck with it.

So to have people like Bingobob trying to tell me that it is impossible to burn and how he would happily send his ginger wife and kid out in the sun, and then make patronising comments to those of us with an AI illness that cannot do that is bad enough.

And then you say 'WTF am I doing here?'

Seriously Sweet Jesus on a bike, think about what you say before making such judgements because not everything in life is so clear cut.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 1:57 pm
Banned

And how do I say this politely?

Is it that hard to NOT understand or grasp anything I have written in the way of explanation?

I was NOT diagnosed with Sjogrens until the end of last year, I have lived here for 4 years - our lives are here.

Doctors reckon I could have had this in the UK - undiagnosed but not as bad - symptomatic with the sun but nothing pinpointed to symptoms flaring in relation to UV.

It has slowly flared in Australia, if I move back to the UK - the illness is advanced enough I would still have symptoms with a stark trade off of more crap asthma which I had in the UK.

I have a house here, my life is here - I sell up, piss off and move back to the UK to gamble on the fact the Sjogrens 'may' improve with lesser UV but have been told it is not a guarantee, but for sure my asthma will become shit again.

So I am not only adapting with a recent diagnosis of a lifetime illness for which there is no cure, but a new way of living the life in the country that I choose to live in. There is a trade off for either country when it comes to health.

There are thousands of people with Sjogrens in the UK - UV or no UV, this is my lot and I am stuck with it.

So to have people like Bingobob trying to tell me that it is impossible to burn and how he would happily send his ginger wife and kid out in the sun, and then make patronising comments to those of us with an AI illness that cannot do that is bad enough.

And then you say 'WTF am I doing here?'

Seriously Sweet Jesus on a bike, think about what you say before making such judgements because not everything in life is so clear cut.
I have no idea what your affliction is called. I was commenting on you saying you can't handle the sun. If my body couldn't handle being in the sun the last place I'd live is in australia... Thats all I was on about.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 2:09 pm
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

As per vit D deficiency, it has been linked to a number of conditions including cancer. I was diagnosed with a very low level 18 months ago and now take 1000 units daily with omega 3 which is supposed to help absorption. I get mIne from the Great Earth vitamin shop for $22 for 180 daily capsules. These are produced by thompsonnutrition.com.au. Have to say that the last time I was tested 6 months ago, I was way into the normal range.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 3:19 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea what your affliction is called. I was commenting on you saying you can't handle the sun. If my body couldn't handle being in the sun the last place I'd live is in australia... Thats all I was on about.
And what I was on about is that I have only just been diagnosed and I cannot just up sticks and move back.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

LOL... Medical Conditions have to be learned to live with no matter where in the world you are ...

You dont choose where you are living when you get ill and most people have more gumption than to allow one of the 'relatively, minor aspects that are part of having/ had a life threatening/limiting disease to rule our lives

You Do weigh up advantages versus disadvantages if you have prior knowledge before immigrating.. You just bloody well get on with life when you didnt have prior knowledge....

And lets face it... Everyone who lives in Australia should have issues with sun exposure... Suppose we're lucky in a way that our reactions are visable and swift.... We avoid over exposure whilst getting trying to get balance right... Where as the majority of people with issues wont find out for years what theirs are....
Old Mar 24th 2012, 9:15 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

And what I was on about is that I have only just been diagnosed and I cannot just up sticks and move back.
The solution is simple. Convert to Islam and buy yourself some burka's. The girls (presumable) is this piccie have a couple of nice ones.
Attached Thumbnails Vitamin D deficiency.-rainbow-burka.jpg  
Old Mar 24th 2012, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
LOL... Medical Conditions have to be learned to live with no matter where in the world you are ...

You dont choose where you are living when you get ill and most people have more gumption than to allow one of the 'relatively, minor aspects that are part of having/ had a life threatening/limiting disease to rule our lives

You Do weigh up advantages versus disadvantages if you have prior knowledge before immigrating.. You just bloody well get on with life when you didnt have prior knowledge....
That's true of my situation. In the UK I suffered from SAD in the winter, and one of the reasons we chose Australia was that there is more sun. Imagine my horror when 6 months after arriving, and just as we bought our house, I was diagnosed with MS- and with heat the symptoms get worse. But weighing it up, I still choose to live here, and this summer has been so wet that we haven't had any really hot days- it has only reached 30 degrees once or twice that I can recall.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
The solution is simple. Convert to Islam and buy yourself some burka's. The girls (presumable) is this piccie have a couple of nice ones.
I like the multi coloured one - very Bob Marley.

Can I wear naughty knickers underneath?
Old Mar 25th 2012, 12:43 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

I like the multi coloured one - very Bob Marley.

Can I wear naughty knickers underneath?
I think they're compulsory.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I think they're compulsory.
Mr PP said if ever I wore a veil he would disown me. His friend always used to ask when I was going to convert.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 10:51 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by brissybee
Husband and I have both recently been diagnosed as Vitamin D deficient. (From blood tests.)

I have heard this is an increasingly common ailment being diagnosed in Australia, with people seeking shelter from the Summer heat and sun.

Just wondering if other BE's have been similarly diagnosed and if supplements have helped?
Not us. But a few pals here in New Zealand have been diagnosed with this. The sun here is a killer IMO so best to avoid.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 9:48 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Boots I don't know, never tried. Amazon won't but their prices on the stuf I buy are lower than Boots, even with postage by a mate thrown in
I've just placed an order for the vitamins and dosages that I need with this company. US$10.99 shipping to Australia. Prices were good too
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 10:24 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

i shall not take supplements anymore

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.