Visa Was A Doddle

Old Oct 5th 2006, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold
Default Visa Was A Doddle

After all the hassle of the last couple of weeks and the next 5 weeks before we board that plane getting the visa was the easy part. what with opening new bank accounts accounts to transfer money chasing the house sale shutting down things like sky and numerous other accounts i am definately feeling stessed. thing is i have so much important documentation i am having a nightmare trying to keep it all together and in the right places. Seem to spend hours looking for something i had in my hand only the day before.
How many others are going through similar thing?
Totally stressed out Raven
Old Oct 5th 2006, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Downies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Visa Was A Doddle

Originally Posted by raven
After all the hassle of the last couple of weeks and the next 5 weeks before we board that plane getting the visa was the easy part. what with opening new bank accounts accounts to transfer money chasing the house sale shutting down things like sky and numerous other accounts i am definately feeling stessed. thing is i have so much important documentation i am having a nightmare trying to keep it all together and in the right places. Seem to spend hours looking for something i had in my hand only the day before.
Tell me about it! We have accepted offer on flat today on the condition that we exchange and complete 4-5 weeks (gave a lot of the asking price to do this) - lucky that they are buying everything in the flat down to tea towels and cutlery!

Now, got to sell the car, keep important docs together, start packing the three or so boxes we are shipping, close accounts, stop sky, stop telephone service (last thing or I will loose BE), meter readings, redirect mail (got post office boxes in Oz), transfer money, book flights, pack for holiday in Thailand, get insurance, get permission to carry three months supply of insulin (liquid) in hand luggage from the department of transport, have leaving party, get shots, inform GP, get tax back from inland revenue, get money back from TV licence, get money back from council tax, solicitors fees to pay, mobile phones to sort out - like OMG will my mind ever stop!!

Paula
Old Oct 5th 2006, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Mel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really nice
Default Re: Visa Was A Doddle

I know exactly how you feel!

My hubby is pretty good though, he deals with most things i.e. important paperwork etc. I don't think he trusts me! I am a typical dippy blonde though! I get the easy chores like taking clothes etc to the charity shops!

We do have a box file though, and anything to do with Oz gets dumped in there. As we are getting closer and more and more paperwork needs to be dealt with i think i may trasnfer it all to a ring binder and and get some dividers. Wow! I'm sounding a bit too organised there

I go to bed most nights with my head spinning. I have lists everywhere.
My hubby is usually the stressed Eric. I think we have swapped roles.

Melis
Old Oct 5th 2006, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

liver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mel n Daz
I know exactly how you feel!

My hubby is pretty good though, he deals with most things i.e. important paperwork etc. I don't think he trusts me! I am a typical dippy blonde though! I get the easy chores like taking clothes etc to the charity shops!

We do have a box file though, and anything to do with Oz gets dumped in there. As we are getting closer and more and more paperwork needs to be dealt with i think i may trasnfer it all to a ring binder and and get some dividers. Wow! I'm sounding a bit too organised there

I go to bed most nights with my head spinning. I have lists everywhere.
My hubby is usually the stressed Eric. I think we have swapped roles.

Melis

oh my god me too!! I have three oz files and keep losing passports with visas in them, have been twice to the post office (Got soaked in the rain) to get redirecting mail forms to find they've run out the inland revenue sent me the wrong forms to claim tax back, having new ktichen stil put in and cant'e ven get the house on the market and we flyin two weeks! with six pets, two toddlers and no where to live when we get there!! argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 5th 2006, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

butch&shell is a jewel in the roughbutch&shell is a jewel in the roughbutch&shell is a jewel in the roughbutch&shell is a jewel in the roughbutch&shell is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Downies
Tell me about it! We have accepted offer on flat today on the condition that we exchange and complete 4-5 weeks (gave a lot of the asking price to do this) - lucky that they are buying everything in the flat down to tea towels and cutlery!

Now, got to sell the car, keep important docs together, start packing the three or so boxes we are shipping, close accounts, stop sky, stop telephone service (last thing or I will loose BE), meter readings, redirect mail (got post office boxes in Oz), transfer money, book flights, pack for holiday in Thailand, get insurance, get permission to carry three months supply of insulin (liquid) in hand luggage from the department of transport, have leaving party, get shots, inform GP, get tax back from inland revenue, get money back from TV licence, get money back from council tax, solicitors fees to pay, mobile phones to sort out - like OMG will my mind ever stop!!

Paula

hi Paula

We are just in the middle of getting all our bills etc sorted out as we fly in 4 weeks, could you tell me how did you go about opening a post box in Australia.
cheers Michelle
Old Oct 5th 2006, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Slow things down!!! Get the lists together and have one box with all your docs and info in... that way you wont be putting it down and 'losing' it. x

I will probably be in the same boat when its our turn but as a friendly rochdalian - if there is anything can give you a hand with then give us a shout. x Just look forward to your new life...its all worth it.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 6:05 pm
Account Closed

conat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Downies

Paula
Hi Paula

Can I ask what shots, and does everyone emigrating need them?

cheers
Old Oct 5th 2006, 6:26 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey !!chill!! ,youv'e got your visas and your going to abetter place, hang in there.

Dave

Oldham
Old Oct 5th 2006, 6:46 pm
Here at last

Crazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of light

Yep, going through the same - leave in under 2 weeks!

Most important thing to do now is drink your way through your drinks cupboard! You can't take it with you and it does help relieve all that stress!
Old Oct 5th 2006, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

jayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nice

Originally Posted by conat
Hi Paula

Can I ask what shots, and does everyone emigrating need them?

cheers
I think they were refering to the shots needed for their holiday in Thailand!
Old Oct 6th 2006, 10:13 am
Account Closed

conat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jayjd12
I think they were refering to the shots needed for their holiday in Thailand!

Makes sense, thanks
Old Oct 6th 2006, 11:15 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hang in guys - it gets worse before it gets better
I found the last couple of weeks really stressful, trying to remember to do everything.
It wasn't utill we got on the plane that I felt better - I just thought, well we've got our passports and visas, have a little cash, money in the bank waiting for us - doesn't matter about anything else!
Good luck to you all!
Tracey
Old Oct 6th 2006, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Funnily enough we were just talking about this tonight. Though it seems blindingly obvious, moving to Oz means literally starting everything all over again. It takes a year or two to get everything set up 'just right' again.

You know what I mean, find a doctor/dentist who sends you reminders to go for a checkup. Find a vet who sends reminders for when the dogs due his booster injections. Set up all the direct debits for bills. Getting to know good plumbers, carpenters all tradies.

And it is a bit of a hard slog. And looking back we think, jeez, how did we manage to do all that. But when you are in the middle of it, you just put the head down and get on with it. And it all works out. And like giving birth, you forget how hard it was because the outcome was so worth it.

Well that was our profound thought for the night.

JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Oct 6th 2006 at 11:57 am.