Wikiposts

Visa Changes

Old Feb 7th 2010, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

winedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Visa Changes

Originally Posted by asher
many people on temporary visas who plan to get pr are hoping and praying their jobs are on the new sol which comes out on April the 30th
If they aren't it could be devastating
your not wrong there sweets!!!!!
Old Feb 7th 2010, 8:33 pm
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

I don't blame Aussies for wanting to focus on more high skilled people rather than some chancer who thinks they can do some hair cutting course and gain easy pr because they can give someone a short back and sides or cook an egg!

I only see good news for those highly skilled people who have solid careers and high qualifications as there will be more places available.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 10:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danjones1
I don't blame Aussies for wanting to focus on more high skilled people rather than some chancer who thinks they can do some hair cutting course and gain easy pr because they can give someone a short back and sides or cook an egg!

I only see good news for those highly skilled people who have solid careers and high qualifications as there will be more places available.
But half these highly skilled migrants seem less skilled than a hairdresser anyhow!
Old Feb 8th 2010, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

you're 'aving a larf aren't ya?
Old Feb 8th 2010, 12:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shears
I think it is incredibly difficult for students now, but it has only become that way very recently as far as I can tell. I read a lot on the immigration forums and I think anyone who embarks on the student visa "route to PR" at this time must be completely and utterly insane. And have money to burn.

But it is well known that the student route has been abused in the past. If somebody was genuinely interested in studying hairdressing or cookery and not just interested in PR why would they come to Australia to study? The prestige of an Australian hairdressing or cookery qualification on the international circuit? I don't think so, makes no sense.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Feb 8th 2010 at 12:41 am. Reason: qualifying it
Old Feb 8th 2010, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is a way to make Australia look safer for Indian students who seem to be getting attacked sometimes 2 to 3 times a day (each)

If they have no chance of getting a visa after a 2 week hairdressing/accounting (combined) course then they will stop coming. Less students = less attacks (or less Indian students to attack Indian students). So all in all a reduction in violence.

Everyone's a winner

Keel
Old Feb 8th 2010, 5:23 am
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by keel
I think this is a way to make Australia look safer for Indian students who seem to be getting attacked sometimes 2 to 3 times a day (each)

If they have no chance of getting a visa after a 2 week hairdressing/accounting (combined) course then they will stop coming. Less students = less attacks (or less Indian students to attack Indian students). So all in all a reduction in violence.

Everyone's a winner

Keel
Indian students generally come over to do IT and other higher end professions. I think the Aussies are targetting trades more than professional jobs.

Yes anyone who went to Australia to study for PR is insane and should have their heads tested.

It would be far easier and cheaper to qualift in your own country, get work experince and then go from there.

About time the Aussies closed this loop hole.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Cant understand why they are encouraging teachers to come though, it's nigh on impossible for teachers to get permanent jobs these days and a whole load of new graduates may never get one.
Totally agree as my daughter is one of them at the present time. The irony of it is that she can and probably will be going to Uk to work.

There are a lot of grads that are not being employed after uni because employers want them to be up and running so to speak. We need to employ the people we are training first.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 7:19 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shears
The perception amongst the general Aussie populous is that its "an easy route to PR".... even if its not. The belief, right or wrong, is that Chef and Hairdressing schools, the length and breadth of Australia, are full of people using the course as a scam, just to gain PR.

Makes them an easy target for any Minister when it comes to tightening up on migration rules.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Cant understand why they are encouraging teachers to come though, it's nigh on impossible for teachers to get permanent jobs these days and a whole load of new graduates may never get one.

You wait, tradies will still be on the wanted list despite obvious downturn in work compared to before economic crisis.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Indian students generally come over to do IT and other higher end professions. I think the Aussies are targetting trades more than professional jobs.

Yes anyone who went to Australia to study for PR is insane and should have their heads tested.

It would be far easier and cheaper to qualift in your own country, get work experince and then go from there.

A very sweeping statement to call people on student visas 'insane'!!

It may well have been 'cheaper' to have studyed back across, but would have taken years to finally get over and even more risk of what you have re-trained in coming off of any lists!! It is not an easy decision to have made, the risks involved with changes etc but the last resort in terms of time constraints and other dynamics which i'm sure most genuine people over on student visa's will agree with.

cheers
Mandy
Old Feb 8th 2010, 9:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mandyp

It may well have been 'cheaper' to have studyed back across, but would have taken years to finally get over and even more risk of what you have re-trained in coming off of any lists!! It is not an easy decision to have made, the risks involved with changes etc but the last resort in terms of time constraints and other dynamics which i'm sure most genuine people over on student visa's will agree with.

cheers
Mandy
As I said earlier, I think most Australians believe the student visa route to PR is a straight forward scam that needed to be closed...and I have to say that, for the most part, I tend to agree with them.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
As I said earlier, I think most Australians believe the student visa route to PR is a straight forward scam that needed to be closed...and I have to say that, for the most part, I tend to agree with them.
It has been a 'side' door entry into Australia that has been abused, hence the changes that have occured and has been necessary. In terms of the 'unfairness' that someone who has qualifications and experience and then not gain enough points, but someone that can come over and study for 2 years and then pretty much go for PR, then yes, i totally agree with you. When we initially looked at coming over, risks and costs aside, i thought it was too good to be true to be honest.

But to call someone 'insane' for considering all the options and risks etc is a poor comment to make.

Cheers
Mandy
Old Feb 8th 2010, 10:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mandyp
But to call someone 'insane' for considering all the options and risks etc is a poor comment to make.

Cheers
Mandy
Well yeah.. that is a bit extreme.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 11:29 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure I agree Dan.

Between 2004 and 2008, the number of Indian students commencing trade courses shot up from 1005 to 32,771.

In the same four year period the number of Indians studying in the cooking, hairdressing, hospitality and hospitality management areas jumped from 409 to 18,269.

A lot of those 12,000 cooks awaiting PR are Indians.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.