Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Usefulness of an British Passport

Usefulness of an British Passport

Old Jan 15th 2012, 4:04 pm

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Usefulness of an British Passport

Originally Posted by NedKelly
How can it be unpatriotic? A passport is just a tool for traveling.

Forget British cultural identity. In the UK anyone who is white and earns a few pounds is treated like a second class citizen so what is there to be patriotic about.

Yeah, of course...

/Facepalm

Anyway, I can see where this thread is heading, so I'm out. Have fun.

Last edited by mrsgreenstar76; Jan 15th 2012 at 4:10 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

We flew into Buenos Aries and in immigration there were two lines, one for US, Canadian and Australian citizens where you have to pay a 'reciprocity fee' of US$100 and another line for the rest. Mrs Kelly & I whipped out our old UK passports and it was "stamp, stamp" on you go. At first I was a little concerned at using our British passports considering we had this thing with the Argies over some islands but everything was fine. I felt sorry for some of the backpackers who were unaware of this fee because they had little money and had to stump up the cash or not get in.

The same story applies in Chile, except the fee is only $60.

You can thank the Australian government for the fee as this is what they charge Argentinians for a visa so it seems fair for them to do it.
I noticed references to those fees when travelling Sth America on a Kiwi passport (also exempt from the fees).

Does the UK really not charge Sth American citizens a fee for visas? I'd find that very hard to believe...
Old Jan 15th 2012, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you have moved your assets to Australia and made a will in Australia, the chance of any problems in this respect are (IMHO) remote.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/UK_Inh..._Tax-Australia
I hope it stays that way JAJ. But the UK is a little short at the moment so I wouldn't put it past them to change the rules to grab as much as they can from expats. I heard a rumour that HMRC were looking at making expats file a tax return every year just like those poor US expats. If they bring that in then I think it would definitely be curtains for my UK citizenship.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DC10
Does the UK really not charge Sth American citizens a fee for visas? I'd find that very hard to believe...
I don't know but here is a list of fees:-

http://www.southamericaliving.com/re...sport-holders/
Old Jan 15th 2012, 6:56 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

They are ? In what way ? Most of the people I know are white and earn a few pounds but I havent heard any of them complain about being classed as a second class citizen, what a bizarre thing to say. There are absolutely 100's of things to be patriotic about if you take the racist blinkers off.

Forget British cultural identity. In the UK anyone who is white and earns a few pounds is treated like a second class citizen so what is there to be patriotic about. Australia gives me a better lifestyle and I feel it is a more egalitarian society. Life is about living where your bread is best buttered and at the moment it is in Australia. If that changes I will be off somewhere else.

Dumping a passport is different from citizenship. I might have to consider renouncing my British citizenship if the UK want inheritance tax on my worldly wealth though.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 6:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Moved this to the Barbie as it is not directly related to Oz immigration per se.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chris955
They are ? In what way ? Most of the people I know are white and earn a few pounds but I havent heard any of them complain about being classed as a second class citizen, what a bizarre thing to say. There are absolutely 100's of things to be patriotic about if you take the racist blinkers off.
Well if you are that patriotic why don't you go back there?
Old Jan 15th 2012, 7:22 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Well if you are that patriotic why don't you go back there?
He is
Old Jan 15th 2012, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
He is
Well maybe he should be posting in the MBTTUK section!
Old Jan 15th 2012, 7:27 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

If you are entitled to a passport then maintain it. I have 3 and all are current. You never know when you may need one or the other.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 7:28 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
He is
Old Jan 15th 2012, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
If you are entitled to a passport then maintain it. I have 3 and all are current. You never know when you may need one or the other.
Indeed! I just need one more now. I will keep them all up-to-date.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 7:52 pm
Banned

I do.

Well maybe he should be posting in the MBTTUK section!
Old Jan 15th 2012, 7:53 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I do.
Why does that not surprise me
Old Jan 15th 2012, 7:54 pm
Banned

I have no idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.