Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Up's And Down's Of Australia

The Up's And Down's Of Australia

Old Mar 16th 2006, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Up's And Down's Of Australia

Originally Posted by ionaskye
How can you be settling in when your in the Barbie land all the time Mag keeps telling me its real but I think that it is
I'm in barbie land all the time cos I'm p'd off waiting for someone to buy my house then I can get a life
Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:10 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The Up's And Down's Of Australia

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Community spirit and a sense of connectedness in Australia is apparently most likely to be found in Tasmania, and Launceston area in particular (according to a Feb 2006 study).
...but only if you're a born-and-bred Tassie person yourself.

On the basis of my 15 years in Tasmania, I can assure you that their general attitude to mainlanders is somewhat... robust.

To say the least.

When my family first moved there, we had our car vandalised on a regular basis and our milk (which was home delivered in those days) stolen before we could even so much as catch a glimpse of it. (Local cops were completely uninterested; to be fair, I can appreciate that from their point of view it would have been a waste of valuable manpower.) Time passed, and eventually they left us alone. But I went on to suffer years of vicious bullying at school.

I was 8 years old when we came to Tassie; I had never been there before, so I had no expectations or prejudices. When I finally escaped the place in 1996, I had a bunch of hangups about the place which time (and maturity) dispelled over the next few years.

I did retain a tiny handful of Tasmanian friends; it could have been more if I'd been able to feel properly comfortable, but that was impossible since I was never properly accepted. There was always a distinct feeling of being kept at arm's length by the rest of the population.

It is strongly parochial, with plenty of regional divisions within the state, of which the north/south division (which bears no resemblance to the British version, since it is not based on socioeconomic differences but on good old-fashioned irrational prejudice) is easily the strongest.

If people find Perth "dull", Adelaide "dead", Melbourne "not lively enough", and Australia as a whole "narrow-minded", they would be well advised to stay clear of Tasmania.

Having said all of this, I actually love the place on many levels. It is beautiful, fresh, clean, and redolent with history and cultural experiences. I love the craftsmanship of the local artisans (there's a shop in Launceston called The Design Centre which sells examples of local work) and the slow, easygoing lifestyle. I love the quaint little country towns and the winding valley roads. I love the Tamar Valley, where I used to live - and the stunning Tamar River, which our house overlooked.

I have been back to Tasmania many times since I left it, and have always enjoyed myself. I would never live there myself, but I know I'll always visit again and again.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Mar 16th 2006 at 9:39 am.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:17 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Worst: General shallowness, arrogance, insincerity and lack of interest/abilty of aussies to meet new people and make genuine friendships. Mind you, if they think there's something in it for them, they'll be in it in a shot

Have to disagree with this one......we have been here almost 2 years and have lots of Genuine Aussie friends, who call round for a chat......invite us to social stuff and are there for us when we need them and vice versa
Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:20 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
Have to disagree with this one......we have been here almost 2 years and have lots of Genuine Aussie friends, who call round for a chat......invite us to social stuff and are there for us when we need them and vice versa

They're jist feerd oh yi! ....I think, or at least I hope that's what we would like. To meet people regardless and just get along....Must be the Scots in me!

Cheers

Ginny
Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:28 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stitch
They're jist feerd oh yi! ....I think, or at least I hope that's what we would like. To meet people regardless and just get along....Must be the Scots in me!

Cheers

Ginny

we get on wi everybody we do lol....went to a night oot with hubbys work, and was told now u just sit there and talk to us all night so we can listen tae yer accent lol I sed OK you buy me drink we got a deal.......hmmm only spent $10 in 5 hours hehe
Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

ionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
I'm in barbie land all the time cos I'm p'd off waiting for someone to buy my house then I can get a life
Well thats just a wee thing
Mag and i will go halfers and buy you a Wendy House if it will help
Old Mar 16th 2006, 3:05 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
...but only if you're a born-and-bred Tassie person yourself.

On the basis of my 15 years in Tasmania, I can assure you that their general attitude to mainlanders is somewhat... robust.

To say the least.

When my family first moved there, we had our car vandalised on a regular basis and our milk (which was home delivered in those days) stolen before we could even so much as catch a glimpse of it. (Local cops were completely uninterested; to be fair, I can appreciate that from their point of view it would have been a waste of valuable manpower.) Time passed, and eventually they left us alone. But I went on to suffer years of vicious bullying at school.

I was 8 years old when we came to Tassie; I had never been there before, so I had no expectations or prejudices. When I finally escaped the place in 1996, I had a bunch of hangups about the place which time (and maturity) dispelled over the next few years.

I did retain a tiny handful of Tasmanian friends; it could have been more if I'd been able to feel properly comfortable, but that was impossible since I was never properly accepted. There was always a distinct feeling of being kept at arm's length by the rest of the population.

It is strongly parochial, with plenty of regional divisions within the state, of which the north/south division (which bears no resemblance to the British version, since it is not based on socioeconomic differences but on good old-fashioned irrational prejudice) is easily the strongest.

If people find Perth "dull", Adelaide "dead", Melbourne "not lively enough", and Australia as a whole "narrow-minded", they would be well advised to stay clear of Tasmania.

Having said all of this, I actually love the place on many levels. It is beautiful, fresh, clean, and redolent with history and cultural experiences. I love the craftsmanship of the local artisans (there's a shop in Launceston called The Design Centre which sells examples of local work) and the slow, easygoing lifestyle. I love the quaint little country towns and the winding valley roads. I love the Tamar Valley, where I used to live - and the stunning Tamar River, which our house overlooked.

I have been back to Tasmania many times since I left it, and have always enjoyed myself. I would never live there myself, but I know I'll always visit again and again.

I guess for me I have had enough of Perth and before thinking of leaving oz on a permanent basis it makes sense to try a couple of places I haven't been to before and which appeal to me. Actually I quite like adelaide. I think the beauty (environment, heritage buildings etc) and lifestyle of tassie appeal to me.

I don't know if being a kiwi will get me an icier or warmer reception though lol
I know the weather will be more to my liking and that economically tassie is improving apparently.

Your experiences growing up there are of course valid but it must be remembered that childhood is always a challenge at the best of times no matter where one lives.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 3:06 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
It's all down to our different personal experiences I guess
Old Mar 16th 2006, 3:33 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Sorry why is getting paid mid week bad? Hubby gets paid midweek, but it goes into the bank and mixed up with money that's there already. Can't say we would notice if it was Monday or Saturday. Not having a go, just really would like to understand
That just made me look to see when my wife gets paid, i've never really thought about it. 5 years now of being paid every other Wednesday And I never noticed.

Old Mar 16th 2006, 7:09 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The Up's And Down's Of Australia

Your experiences growing up there are of course valid but it must be remembered that childhood is always a challenge at the best of times no matter where one lives.
Yes, very true.

I love Perth (my home city) and Adelaide.

I am planning to live in the Adelaide hills when I return home.

Old Mar 16th 2006, 7:29 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Yes, very true.

I love Perth (my home city) and Adelaide.

I am planning to live in the Adelaide hills when I return home.

Adelaide is great. Hope you enjoy it when you get there
Old Mar 16th 2006, 7:31 pm
Banned

I think we always hold fond memories of the city we feel is our home one. I feel the same about Auckland, but to some others its just an example of urban sprawl.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 5:26 am
Fighting my corner

Thumbs up Re: The Up's And Down's Of Australia

Oh, I know I will - been there many times, and most of my friends live there these days.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

ionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond repute

I think we always hold fond memories of the city we feel is our home one. I feel the same about Auckland, but to some others its just an example of urban sprawl.

I have SUCH fond memories of Blantyre ,the tyre gang
the union jack club the knights the dog shit on the pavements and the spray paint that matches nothing ,

But the greener side get back to you on that
Old Mar 18th 2006, 12:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ionaskye
I have SUCH fond memories of Blantyre ,the tyre gang
the union jack club the knights the dog shit on the pavements and the spray paint that matches nothing ,

But the greener side get back to you on that
PMSL