Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

University in Australia

University in Australia

Old Oct 24th 2007, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

jo-ann hodgson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default University in Australia

I'm writing from Emigrate Australia newspaper, based in the UK.

In December's issue we're running an article about the higher education system in Oz and I was wondering if anyone had experience or insight of this topic.

For example, what do young adults have to do to earn a place at their preferred university, how do they fund their studies and do most students live in halls or student houses as they do in the UK?

Also, can UK qualifications be transferred to earn a place at a Australian university?

Any comment or information on this topic would be greatly appreciated,
many thanks,
Jo-ann Hodgson
[email protected]
Old Oct 24th 2007, 9:11 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: University in Australia

http://admissions.uwa.edu.au/page/108247
Old Oct 24th 2007, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

Gordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really nice

Hi

Having worked in Australian universities and schools for the last few years in the careers, teaching and guidance world I will try and give you some general advice. However, I do think if you are seriosuly applying for a certain university that you begin to contact their International section / office of that university for exact help and advice; they will be worth their weight in gold. Email is best, so you can keep your own record and give time differences etc. They really are the best informed people to help you through the steps. Don't be afraid to do so, they are very helpful.

Think it would be worth you looking at the Commonwealth Government websites with regards studying in Australia. I think it is called Study Australia or something similar. Google it.

Anyhows it will tell you all the great info you will need. The biggest thingsyou have to think about are:

1. Courses (as called in the UK) are called Programs here. It is all very US of A!

then.........

course or units comprise your program. Generally speaking you make up a full-time undergraduate program year here in Australia of 8 courses / units. Mostly speaking you have core course, the electives, which you must enrol yourself on at enrolment at your chosen university. It can sometimes be a bit of a scrap that part. So basically you get accepted on a Program, get your acceptance letter from the uni, apply for your visa / medical etc, then take it from there as per instructed by the International Office of your chosen uni.

2. International Fees - alot more than Aussies pay (but maybe ok depending upon the exchange rate at the time) and allow for around AU$16,000 per year to live on.

As for students in Australia. After Y12 many students work for a year or so and build up credit in the tax system through Centre Link (this only for Australians though).

Mature Age (21+). Many work and study part-time here. Students here are offered full-fee paying, or HECS-based place (part paid now, and the rest paid out of tax later when earning enough). Some student are offered Commonwealth Assisted Places, i.e. nurses I think?. But these are all for Australians only and NOT for thos with no PR or Australia Citizneship.

As an International student you are basically self-funding, but are able to work a certain amount of hours per week (15 or so I think).

Hope this help.

Kind Regards

Gordon
Old Oct 24th 2007, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

jo-ann hodgson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Gordon,

thanks very much for that information. Please could you give me your surname if you wouldn't mind being quoted in the newspaper?

many thanks,
Jo-ann
Old Oct 25th 2007, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

Gordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really nice

Hi again Jo

My full name is Gordon Marshall. You are ok to quote my name and can I I look at the article online at all when it is all done?

Forgot to say, that yes, many Australia students choose now to live at home due to costs.

Many students do live in halls / colleges and it's also true to say that many students stay intra-state too.

Qualifications can be recongised in Australia, but it depends what it is? This is such a side area and so varied. But my own PGCE teaching qualficication was for example. Sometimes professionals have to sit a test when they arrrive, particularly in the medical field.

If an A-level school student wishes to apply for a university place in Australia the qualifications are acceptable but must be approved by the unievrsities and deemed equiavalent to that a Y12 in Australia would pass in content and quality.

Thanks

Gordon Marshall
Old Oct 25th 2007, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jo-ann hodgson
I'm writing from Emigrate Australia newspaper, based in the UK.

In December's issue we're running an article about the higher education system in Oz and I was wondering if anyone had experience or insight of this topic.

For example, what do young adults have to do to earn a place at their preferred university, how do they fund their studies and do most students live in halls or student houses as they do in the UK?

Also, can UK qualifications be transferred to earn a place at a Australian university?

Any comment or information on this topic would be greatly appreciated,
many thanks,
Jo-ann Hodgson
[email protected]
Is your article just to be from the angle of British (ie overseas) kids applying for Australian Universities - or is it a general piece on higher education in Australia?

My sons were born and went to school here and are both now at Uni. In order to get into their chosen courses they had to get the required marks in the HSC (NSW name for the Year 12 exams). Some courses - like Law, Medicine, Vet Science etc need seriously good exam results (along the lines of being in the top .1% of the state) in order to get into the main city universities. Other courses - particularly those at newer or country unis don't need quite such high marks. Some courses require that an audition or portfolio or interview is done in addition to achieving the required HSC marks - these tend to be of the art/music/dance variety. There are other pathways for older students to get into Uni - I'm only familiar with school-leavers

Most students would attend a university in their home city, so they tend to live at home at first. The only kids living in halls of residence at UNSW seem to be overseas or country kids.

There is a UK qualification correlation that the Unis use to convert them to the local equivalent.

Australian citizens qualify for HECS which means they can defer paying their fees until they are earning over a certain amount. This doesn't apply for overseas students or those with only PR.