UK Trip in March

Old Jan 15th 2012, 8:22 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Trip in March

Originally Posted by mikelincs
If you are not a UK resident, then using the NHS because you still have an address there and haven't bothered to tell your doctor you have moved, is a fraudulent use of the NHS. The NHS is for UK residents only, but, unfortunately there are many thousands of people who have kept UK adresses so they can continue to claim benefits, contiunue to use the NHS when over there etc. All this is legally fraud, and should anyone decide to report you, then you could be in serious trouble. It's getting so bad that the UK has set up specific telephone numbers in many countries that people can use to report people they believe are claiming and using the UK systems illegally. You decided to move from the UK, so must be prepared to abide by the rules.
Sorry, rant over..
Old Jan 15th 2012, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

If you are not a UK resident, then using the NHS because you still have an address there and haven't bothered to tell your doctor you have moved, is a fraudulent use of the NHS. The NHS is for UK residents only, but, unfortunately there are many thousands of people who have kept UK adresses so they can continue to claim benefits, contiunue to use the NHS when over there etc. All this is legally fraud, and should anyone decide to report you, then you could be in serious trouble. It's getting so bad that the UK has set up specific telephone numbers in many countries that people can use to report people they believe are claiming and using the UK systems illegally. You decided to move from the UK, so must be prepared to abide by the rules.
Sorry, rant over..
There are certain exceptions that allow free treatment on the NHS - e.g. A&E treatment at a hospital is always free for anyone. It's also possible to pay for NHS treatment where it wouldn't cover a non-resident. Nothing illegal about either of these.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 10:29 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
There are certain exceptions that allow free treatment on the NHS - e.g. A&E treatment at a hospital is always free for anyone. It's also possible to pay for NHS treatment where it wouldn't cover a non-resident. Nothing illegal about either of these.
....and if covered by the reciprocal healthcare scheme into the bargain, urgent medical attention is free, same as it is for Brits visiting Australia.
Lots of posts on the subject in the UK forum; some people returning to live in the UK have had problems re-registering before they have proof of address, and its certainly not unknown to be asked for proof that you are a UK resident when seeking treatment.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 10:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, rant over..
That goes totally against my Sarf London upbringing..... Culturally unacceptable I call it. As for reporting is the UK now turning into a nation of Dobbers, like Aus.

Worst I envisaged is Gastro caused by local 3rd World like conditions... so one trip to the quacks... "Just because I can" is all I see happening.

Old Jan 15th 2012, 11:08 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
That goes totally against my Sarf London upbringing..... Culturally unacceptable I call it. As for reporting is the UK now turning into a nation of Dobbers, like Aus.

Worst I envisaged is Gastro caused by local 3rd World like conditions... so one trip to the quacks... "Just because I can" is all I see happening.

agreed.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 11:16 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

With benefit fraud now running into the billions a year, there is no wonder there is a lot of dobbing in, especially if you have just pissed your neighbour/friend off.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fremantle
I am not entirely sure. I am going back to the UK in May. I now live in Australia and am a permanent resident but I also still retain a UK address. But the NHS dentist I was previously registered with, I think they would have taken me off their books by now, seeing as my last visit to them would have been March 2009 (I paid $48 for a root canal treatment that would have been very expensive here) and as there are always waiting lists to be on an NHS dentist's books, I couldn't see them still keeping me on there after so long. As far as my doctor is concerned, I think they would keep me on their indefinitely but whether I would still be classed as a UK resident because I still have my home over there which my daughter is living in and which I will stay at when I go back in May, I don't know. I haven't been to a dentist since I've been here as it is so expensive but used to go every six months in the Uk.
Let me clear that up for you. No of course you are not resident in the UK, you are resident in Australia and you cannot be resident in two countries at once, it is a physical impossibility. Having a house there does not make you resident.

It is very hard to get a NHS dentist and some people have to go without dental care in the UK because they cannot get into one. So hogging a place when you don't live there is selfish and morally wrong. Hopefully you have been deregistered by now.

I am going to UK in September, I might go and see my dentist whilst I am there but that is private and I don't think subsidised by NHS at all, if it is I will pay what is owed, it is still going to be cheaper than Sydney.

For medical, well I am sure it would be easy to get away with it should I need any treatment, but I would want travel insurance anyway for delays, lost baggage etc and this always has medical insurance with it so might as well use that rather than place more burden on the creaking NHS.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

fremantle will become famous soon enoughfremantle will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Let me clear that up for you. No of course you are not resident in the UK, you are resident in Australia and you cannot be resident in two countries at once, it is a physical impossibility. Having a house there does not make you resident.

It is very hard to get a NHS dentist and some people have to go without dental care in the UK because they cannot get into one. So hogging a place when you don't live there is selfish and morally wrong. Hopefully you have been deregistered by now.

I am going to UK in September, I might go and see my dentist whilst I am there but that is private and I don't think subsidised by NHS at all, if it is I will pay what is owed, it is still going to be cheaper than Sydney.

For medical, well I am sure it would be easy to get away with it should I need any treatment, but I would want travel insurance anyway for delays, lost baggage etc and this always has medical insurance with it so might as well use that rather than place more burden on the creaking NHS.

Thank you.I did tell my dentist when I went last that I was emigrating shortly afterwards so even though I don't think I specifically told them to take my name off the books I would have assumed they would have done so. I rarely ever went to my doctor so I can't remember whether I told them or not that I was emigrating, I had too many other things to think about at the time. I have already taken out comprehensive travel insurance for my trip in May to cover all eventualities so my conscience is clear. When I go back I will have the time to contact my previous doctor just to double check their details.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 7:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fremantle
Thank you.I did tell my dentist when I went last that I was emigrating shortly afterwards so even though I don't think I specifically told them to take my name off the books I would have assumed they would have done so. I rarely ever went to my doctor so I can't remember whether I told them or not that I was emigrating, I had too many other things to think about at the time. I have already taken out comprehensive travel insurance for my trip in May to cover all eventualities so my conscience is clear. When I go back I will have the time to contact my previous doctor just to double check their details.
I don't think you need to tell them you're leaving.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 7:45 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I don't think you need to tell them you're leaving.
You should get a copy of your medical records to take with you, so that means you do tell them you are leaving, we did that and took copies to Spain, we also told the DWP so we could get forms for free medical treatment in Spain. When we came back, we went to register with the Dr again (same surgery) and found that I had never been taken off their books, but my wife had..
Old Jan 16th 2012, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

You should get a copy of your medical records to take with you, so that means you do tell them you are leaving, we did that and took copies to Spain, we also told the DWP so we could get forms for free medical treatment in Spain. When we came back, we went to register with the Dr again (same surgery) and found that I had never been taken off their books, but my wife had..

I think my wife may have done so. I would need to check.

I did get a letter from the DVLA (in England, posted by letting agent) saying my drivers license photo has expired, whatever that means.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 7:54 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I think my wife may have done so. I would need to check.

I did get a letter from the DVLA (in England, posted by letting agent) saying my drivers license photo has expired, whatever that means.
UK photo licenses are only valid for 10 years, and have to be renewed after that, it's to cover changes in appearance, after all a person of 19 will look a lot different at 59 unless the photos are regularly updated. Updating is simple.. but.. the DVLA will only post to a UK address.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

UK photo licenses are only valid for 10 years, and have to be renewed after that, it's to cover changes in appearance, after all a person of 19 will look a lot different at 59 unless the photos are regularly updated. Updating is simple.. but.. the DVLA will only post to a UK address.

Yeah, I figured as much. Have just ignored it.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 8:45 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

I know times are hard in the UK but I didn't think it had got this tough.

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereven...cockroach-bait
Old Jan 16th 2012, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I know times are hard in the UK but I didn't think it had got this tough.

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereven...cockroach-bait

Twits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.