Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

UK Property Market: blowing off some steam...

UK Property Market: blowing off some steam...

Old Oct 30th 2008, 9:47 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Property Market: blowing off some steam...

Originally Posted by ponyrama
Sooooooo...let me get this right. If i cant sell my house in UK and rent it out instead, but rent doesnt cover my costs so I will have to use my Oz salary to pay the difference....I can get tax breaks on that in Oz?

What happens if I leave it empty say for 6 months and have full costs incurred - can I get a break on that too?

I am so in the dark about this stuff its untrue. Apologies for hijacking!
The 6 months it is empty would have to be "available for rent" ie actively being marketed.

Just because market rent value is £200 per week and you are asking $400 per week has nothing to do with it
Old Feb 10th 2009, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

autorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to all

Just wanted to update you all on our situation:

This week has been a major milestone for us as we booked our flights to Oz!!!

Paid £1,170 with Cathay Pacific for 2 adults, 1 toddler (2.5) and one infant (9mo). Still get full frequent flyer points for our Qantas FF program too!!

So we're flying out on April 27th. Going to Melbourne first to catch up with various family and friends (and to buy a car) before driving up to settle on the Gold Coast 2-4 weeks later... YAY!

Scary now - past the point of no return!!!!! AAAAaaaaaah! Actually getting a very nostalgic about London now which is nice - especially with the snow last week!!

We have also bought a flat full of furniture to furnish our place once our stuff ships next month (great hint on that too: buy second hand off ebay/gumtree - we got a houseful of really nice stuff for about £750 - original price of the lot would be around £3,500!!)

Hope you are all getting closer to your dream despite the curve ball of the 'world economic meltdown credit crunch armageddon crisis downturn depression slump correction' as it has come to be known.

Our approach has been: "If life hands you lemons.... make lemonade!"
Old Feb 11th 2009, 1:37 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by autorock
Just wanted to update you all on our situation:

This week has been a major milestone for us as we booked our flights to Oz!!!

Paid £1,170 with Cathay Pacific for 2 adults, 1 toddler (2.5) and one infant (9mo). Still get full frequent flyer points for our Qantas FF program too!!

So we're flying out on April 27th. Going to Melbourne first to catch up with various family and friends (and to buy a car) before driving up to settle on the Gold Coast 2-4 weeks later... YAY!

Scary now - past the point of no return!!!!! AAAAaaaaaah! Actually getting a very nostalgic about London now which is nice - especially with the snow last week!!

We have also bought a flat full of furniture to furnish our place once our stuff ships next month (great hint on that too: buy second hand off ebay/gumtree - we got a houseful of really nice stuff for about £750 - original price of the lot would be around £3,500!!)

Hope you are all getting closer to your dream despite the curve ball of the 'world economic meltdown credit crunch armageddon crisis downturn depression slump correction' as it has come to be known.

Our approach has been: "If life hands you lemons.... make lemonade!"
Good on ya! I've been making lemonade for weeks. Have just accepted an offer on my house - just sitting tight and praying that it sticks and goes through. Good Luck with the move - I hope it turns out to be your dream come true!
Old Feb 11th 2009, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

autorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ponyrama
Good on ya! I've been making lemonade for weeks. Have just accepted an offer on my house - just sitting tight and praying that it sticks and goes through. Good Luck with the move - I hope it turns out to be your dream come true!
Good on ya Ponyrama. I'll send a prayer up for you too... They say there has been an increase in the volume of sales lately...

Best of luck!!