Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Uk interest rate cut

Uk interest rate cut

Old Dec 6th 2007, 11:11 am
LAM
Forum Regular

LAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really nice
Default Uk interest rate cut

Does this mean exchange rate will get worse?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7130443.stm
Old Dec 6th 2007, 11:27 am
Banned

Nursebank will become famous soon enoughNursebank will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Uk interest rate cut

If you are holding sterling and planning to emigrate soon, get out of it now, today, because with these jokers in charge of our destiniy in terms of the Bank of Corrupt England, then you could well see sterling fall further, if or when they decide to cut further next year?

The way i see it, is Oz rates going up, ours going down, you could well see 1 pound to 2.2 dollars in the next six months, sterling could be something you would use to blow your nose on if Gordon has his way?
Old Dec 6th 2007, 11:43 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LAM
Does this mean exchange rate will get worse?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7130443.stm
Thats the effect it normally has. Higher interest rates attract investment in a currency strengthening it & lower interest rates do the opposite. But who can really say for sure-it;s all so volatile right now.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

Great news - should mean lower monthly mortgage repayments on our house in the UK.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 12:31 pm
Banned

british whinger is an unknown quantity at this point

its all a ploy to calm everyone down.

we should see another cut, then stability and wiser thinking in the market. and from consumers.

I think banks, and retailers have tested the market to see how much money they can extort from Jo public, they have found the markets maximum spend now, so things will balance out.

profit targets will be realigned to what can now be achieved realisitically, just watch everyones targets over xmas be under forecasted, or what the OE target was.....
Old Dec 6th 2007, 2:18 pm
Banned

Nursebank will become famous soon enoughNursebank will become famous soon enough

I don't think this image is appropriate.

One of these men is a thoroughly corrupt and evil excuse for a human being who has bankrupted his country, allowed inflation to soar, manipulated the people through relentless use of propaganda and turned his nation into a police state.

And the other one is the President of Zimbabwe.

Last edited by Nursebank; Dec 6th 2007 at 2:21 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

The way i see it, is Oz rates going up, ours going down, you could well see 1 pound to 2.2 dollars in the next six months, sterling could be something you would use to blow your nose on if Gordon has his way?
A lot of it has to do with the US dollar weakness - the aussie dollar is very strongly linked to the USD. The other factor is comparative interest rates, the drop today makes the aussie dollar more attractive, therefore you get less bucks for your pound because more people want it to invest.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 8:53 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nursebank
http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/6500/gbsl3.gif

One of these men is a thoroughly corrupt and evil excuse for a human being who has bankrupted his country, allowed inflation to soar, manipulated the people through relentless use of propaganda and turned his nation into a police state.

And the other one is the President of Zimbabwe.
...ok you've clearly got a bee in your bonnet....can you supply some evidence of this bankrupt UK and 'soaring' UK inflation? And if inflation bothers you that much stay in the UK, cos the rate of inflation is about 1.5times higher here.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Now soaring inflation, that really is the Zimbabwean domain - I heard a little while ago of golfers buying the round of drinks after 9 holes because by the time they'd finished the prices had gone up again! Could be urban myth, but entirely feasible. Makes 2-3% look like nothing, which really it is. Without inflation the economy stagnates, its just the balancing act between inflation and interest rates that I wouldn't want to have to do
Old Dec 6th 2007, 9:07 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NikiL
Now soaring inflation, that really is the Zimbabwean domain - I heard a little while ago of golfers buying the round of drinks after 9 holes because by the time they'd finished the prices had gone up again! Could be urban myth, but entirely feasible. Makes 2-3% look like nothing, which really it is. Without inflation the economy stagnates, its just the balancing act between inflation and interest rates that I wouldn't want to have to do
Yes inflation in Zimbabwe in somewhere in the region of 7000-10000%, although Mugabe will argue that this is somehow Blair / UK's fault - I'm sure some posters here will find a way to agree as well!
Old Dec 6th 2007, 10:21 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

With an Aussie rate hike mooted for Feb I'm just glad I got my cash over when I did. You are only going to get fewer Aussie dollars for your pound, it's only going to get worse IMO.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 11:04 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I remeber when I went there on holiday, it as about 1 pound = $ZIM20
Not it's something like 1,000,000

Originally Posted by bcworld
Yes inflation in Zimbabwe in somewhere in the region of 7000-10000%, although Mugabe will argue that this is somehow Blair / UK's fault - I'm sure some posters here will find a way to agree as well!
Old Dec 6th 2007, 11:05 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

OK so was the average African better off under white/UK rule ?
(Opens can of worms and runs away)

Originally Posted by bcworld
Old Dec 6th 2007, 11:13 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
With an Aussie rate hike mooted for Feb I'm just glad I got my cash over when I did. You are only going to get fewer Aussie dollars for your pound, it's only going to get worse IMO.

Yes, listening to ABC this morning, the economists are suggesting that Australian interest rates may need to go as high as 9.3% within the next year to cool inflationary pressures.

It will be interesting to see what sort of effect this has on the housing markets. If you are planning to get a mortgage, then I think it would be best to factor a worst case scenario of 10-11% when looking it affordability.

S
Old Dec 6th 2007, 11:30 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by themerlin
OK so was the average African better off under white/UK rule ?
(Opens can of worms and runs away)
No need for the can of worms...in the case of the average Zimbabwean I think the answer is clearly yes - I'm talking recent history here not colonial British ruled Zimbabwe. Whether or not that is due to who is running the country or just unfortunate circumstances is another matter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.