Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Tyre repair shops off until January?

Tyre repair shops off until January?

Old Dec 28th 2009, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tyre repair shops off until January?

We got a flat tyre on Christmas Eve. Great timing, I know.

We've been phoning around to various tyre dealers...but the phone just rings and rings. No answer. Not even a message to say "Too bad sucker, we're on holiday until Jan.4th."

We've phoned Beaurepaires, Bridgestone, KMart, and some local non-franchise shops...8 different shops at last count. Nothing.

So, is this the usual "Australia closes down for the holidays" thing and we get to drive around on the spare for another week and a half?
Old Dec 28th 2009, 1:49 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tyre repair shops off until January?

Originally Posted by Japonica
We got a flat tyre on Christmas Eve. Great timing, I know.

We've been phoning around to various tyre dealers...but the phone just rings and rings. No answer. Not even a message to say "Too bad sucker, we're on holiday until Jan.4th."

We've phoned Beaurepaires, Bridgestone, KMart, and some local non-franchise shops...8 different shops at last count. Nothing.

So, is this the usual "Australia closes down for the holidays" thing and we get to drive around on the spare for another week and a half?
things should be open tomorrow. Suggest you drive to one rather than phone. Our local pool shop was open on boxing day but was not answering the phone as they were so busy.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 2:51 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I got a flat yesterday but I fixed it with a tyre repair kit. They are really handy, I've fixed about 5 punctures with it in the last couple of years. A lot cheaper then getting a new tyre each time.

You have what looks like a giant needle and you insert it into the hole with a plug of sticky rubber, works like magic.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks renth. I mentioned it to my husband but he reckons the tyre needs replacing and can't be fixed. It's a large hole...you could put a finger through it.

NB...yeah, we're going to try tomorrow. Still like to phone before to save petrol rather than driving all over Perth to find if they even have the tyre in stock.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 4:22 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Most places like that wouldn't be open until tomorrow (Tuesday). It's been public holidays up till then.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 7:36 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Our experience with cars this month:
  • We had a car accident on the Friday 18th. (At complete stop awaiting car to turn right in front, cars travelling too fast behind.)
  • The 2 cars that rammed into our rear were written off.
  • The accident assessment centre was booked until the Monday 21st
  • They called 10am on the Thursday 24th that it was fixed and ready to be collected after $4k of work.

I think that was pretty good considering the time of year.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks everyone...guess we'll be getting a new one tomorrow...I hope...I hate driving around on the spare. Knowing our luck, another one will go and then we'll be hooped.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

We need new tyres and were told couldnt do it until the new year!
So looks like tyre places are on holiday or booked up.

Gems
Old Dec 28th 2009, 9:48 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I got a flat yesterday but I fixed it with a tyre repair kit. They are really handy, I've fixed about 5 punctures with it in the last couple of years. A lot cheaper then getting a new tyre each time.

You have what looks like a giant needle and you insert it into the hole with a plug of sticky rubber, works like magic.

Where do you get such a thing? I have a nail in my right rear tyre and the noise it makes drives me insane! I would like to pull it out and repair the hole so I can stop the noise.

Bloody tyre repair shops, though. When I took the car in to see about having the nail removed and fixed they said I would need an entire new set of tyres since mine were worn out. I have less than 45k on my car. I may be a female, but that doesn't make me born yesterday.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Where do you get such a thing? I have a nail in my right rear tyre and the noise it makes drives me insane! I would like to pull it out and repair the hole so I can stop the noise.

Bloody tyre repair shops, though. When I took the car in to see about having the nail removed and fixed they said I would need an entire new set of tyres since mine were worn out. I have less than 45k on my car. I may be a female, but that doesn't make me born yesterday.
Yeah, I know. It's infuriating. I have to send my husband in to deal with mechanics and the like...they seem less likely to do a hard sell on a guy than on a woman.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 9:45 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure where I got mine. You could try Super cheap Auto.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 10:05 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Not sure where I got mine. You could try Super cheap Auto.
Ta Renth. Will pop down there this morning after dropping the dog off to have his testicles removed.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 11:10 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Ta Renth. Will pop down there this morning after dropping the dog off to have his testicles removed.
Don't put the husband in the car by mistake Not unless you really want to of course.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 12:18 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Don't put the husband in the car by mistake Not unless you really want to of course.
No, his I would prefer to do with a rusty spoon and no anaesthetic.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

No, his I would prefer to do with a rusty spoon and no anaesthetic.
You have missed your calling.I can see you as a modern day Florence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.