Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

A typical "Aussie Barbie?"

A typical "Aussie Barbie?"

Old Sep 21st 2010, 11:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A typical "Aussie Barbie?"

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
You may find that healthy food is for transport to blighty
You can't talk, all there was in the fridge in London was half a tin of baked beans
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 12:18 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You can't talk, all there was in the fridge in London was half a tin of baked beans
That wasn't my fridge
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 12:22 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

That wasn't my fridge
You didn't even have a fridge, just half a tin of beans squatting in someone else's
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 12:26 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by mikeco1
So I take it from all your very interesting replies that the "typical Aussie Barbie" is just a myth and no different from the "UK POM" barbie. No joke, but in some top restaurants there is, Ostrich steaks, Crocodile and Kangaroo and I presumed that this was part of a typical Aussie Barbie, but I'm sure if it was, you would have informed me. So its just Sausages, burgers, beef steaks with salad. hmm, very interesting

Mike
I think the clue there is the phrase "top restaurants"which are quite a long way removed form your average BBQ. I quite liked crocodile, tastes like chicken, but I've only had it in restaurants. Had kangaroo at a couple of BBQs, but it was mainly there for the novelty value of feeding it to the poms.
Food at most of the BBQs I've been to consist of burnt sausages and incinerated pork chops, the best BBQs are the ones cooked in the kitchen on the groill and just carried outside to be eaten
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

The key to making nice food on a bbq is the marinade. There's no point just chucking a bit of plain meat on there and expecting it to taste good (with the possible exception of a good bit of steak).

I did an absolutely fantastic rack of chilli-plum ribs on the barbie the other night. It was fingerlickin' good
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 12:52 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

We only just bought a bbq a few weeks ago, however I HATE eating outside (flies and other insect bastards) so I will take mines into the house and eat
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I think the clue there is the phrase "top restaurants"which are quite a long way removed form your average BBQ. I quite liked crocodile, tastes like chicken, but I've only had it in restaurants. Had kangaroo at a couple of BBQs, but it was mainly there for the novelty value of feeding it to the poms.
Food at most of the BBQs I've been to consist of burnt sausages and incinerated pork chops, the best BBQs are the ones cooked in the kitchen on the groill and just carried outside to be eaten
What's kangaroo like? I keep meaning to try it and I chuckle to myself when I see it in Woolies, Kanga Bangas! Easily pleased!
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 1:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseR
What's kangaroo like? I keep meaning to try it and I chuckle to myself when I see it in Woolies, Kanga Bangas! Easily pleased!
You need to cook it well otherwise it hops off your plate.

We tried some kanga kebabs the other night and it's a very dark rich meat. Will take some getting used to for me.

I'll stick with beef and lamb and chicken for now.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 1:31 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
You need to cook it well otherwise it hops off your plate.

We tried some kanga kebabs the other night and it's a very dark rich meat. Will take some getting used to for me.

I'll stick with beef and lamb and chicken for now.
I love kangaroo, eat it quite regularly. As long as you're careful not to overcook it, it's absolutely yummy. And very healthy.
(edit - and I'm talking generally, not necessarily on the barbie)
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 2:20 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseR
Scottish celts told me that once she was kanga banged she's never looked back
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 2:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It's a potjie but close enough.

Did you enjoy it?
Very nice, we were in the middle of packing up our villa and had no cooking facilities and were eating disgusting takeaway burgers, so it was lovely to have a nice cooked meal, even the kids loved it. It was at our neighbours so we went back the next day and had left overs for lunch.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 2:58 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Scottish celts told me that once she was kanga banged she's never looked back

It wasn't 'kanga', it was 'rasta'
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 4:27 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by scottishcelts

It wasn't 'kanga', it was 'rasta'
Its his age, his hearing is going
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Very nice, we were in the middle of packing up our villa and had no cooking facilities and were eating disgusting takeaway burgers, so it was lovely to have a nice cooked meal, even the kids loved it. It was at our neighbours so we went back the next day and had left overs for lunch.

It's always better the next day as the sauce has really soaked into the meat/food.

I always make extra so there is some for the next day because of this reason.

Oxtail done this way is awesome. Haven't been able to get oxtail in the UK for years because of F&M , but I saw some in Oz the other day.

Just waiting for my pot to arrive on the ship now then it's happy days.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 5:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
It's always better the next day as the sauce has really soaked into the meat/food.

I always make extra so there is some for the next day because of this reason.

Oxtail done this way is awesome. Haven't been able to get oxtail in the UK for years because of F&M , but I saw some in Oz the other day.

Just waiting for my pot to arrive on the ship now then it's happy days.
I'm thinking of getting one - the Saffa shop in Osborne park sells them.

What do you use as a heat source? I was just going to put it on the Webber.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.