Tv's

Old Jan 9th 2015, 1:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tv's

Haven't had an upgrade for about 7 years, Mrs Beoz has given the approval, so before the falling dollar effects the price I'm in.

Anyone gone through the list of pro's and cons recently?

Sort of want to be around 55" - not sure if its worth going beyond 1080p.

Had a quick glance at this but the search has only just begun.

Any thoughts guru's?

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-en...lcd-tv/559466/
Old Jan 9th 2015, 3:21 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tv's

Originally Posted by Beoz
Haven't had an upgrade for about 7 years, Mrs Beoz has given the approval, so before the falling dollar effects the price I'm in.

Anyone gone through the list of pro's and cons recently?

Sort of want to be around 55" - not sure if its worth going beyond 1080p.

Had a quick glance at this but the search has only just begun.

Any thoughts guru's?

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-en...lcd-tv/559466/
Android !!!

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/168688

Basics
  • 4K is still a mess, since you are going to need full HDMI 2 and HDCP 2.2 to be compatible and basically nothing has that yet. However when they do it's not just the resolution that's better, it's the gamut, bit depth, etc.
  • 55" is basically the low point of the sweet spot now, lots of competition
  • 3D is generally worth it, not because of 3D, but because they can't skimp on the panel if its going to work at 3D rates, colour, etc.
  • Its all about the Smart TV features, so you'd better work out what you want in that arena
Friend ended up getting the Samsung UA55H6500AW (twin tuner version of 6400) recently, and has no regrets. It does depend on how you are going to use it; I ended up going for a projector (to watch the movies) and a smaller bog standard TV for the news.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 3:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Android !!!

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/168688

Basics
  • 4K is still a mess, since you are going to need full HDMI 2 and HDCP 2.2 to be compatible and basically nothing has that yet. However when they do it's not just the resolution that's better, it's the gamut, bit depth, etc.
  • 55" is basically the low point of the sweet spot now, lots of competition
  • 3D is generally worth it, not because of 3D, but because they can't skimp on the panel if its going to work at 3D rates, colour, etc.
  • Its all about the Smart TV features, so you'd better work out what you want in that arena
Friend ended up getting the Samsung UA55H6500AW (twin tuner version of 6400) recently, and has no regrets. It does depend on how you are going to use it; I ended up going for a projector (to watch the movies) and a smaller bog standard TV for the news.
So the smart TV part is the internet connected stuff right? What should I be looking for?

3D wise - where does the content come from?
Old Jan 9th 2015, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

I got a Sony 55W800B. I think they all of that size pretty much have 3D whether you want it or not. It has a good interface, a very thin bezel, really light and great picture.

These things don't have great sound these days though as they become thinner and thinner. Invest in a sound bar if you don't have a sound system as yet.

I was surprised how small the boxes these 55 inch TVs fit into. When I bought a 46 inch tv three years go I had to get it delivered.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 4:30 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

So the smart TV part is the internet connected stuff right? What should I be looking for?
Ability to fake being in the UK. iplayer, etc. apps. Netflix etc

DLNA et al for streaming media. Codecs it will work with, etc.

Control via apps on phones/tablets (though you are unlikely to find anything supporting MS).

If you aren't going to go wired (and you should) then 5Ghz support on wireless.

Wifi direct/Miracast for direct streaming is useful

3D wise - where does the content come from?
Well, as I say the actual 3D content is not as important as the ability to display it, but generally Blu Ray 3D is the usual source (or rips thereof).

And as Nige says, audio is very important, and usually badly served. Good audio makes the picture look better.

Oh, and edge-lit LED vs local dimming = thin vs better contrast ratio. Toss up and not really worth bothering with.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks guys. All good stuff to consider.

On the ability to fake the IP's, do TV's come with that ability in built?

Also is there anything to consider over LED, plasma, ???? these days?
Old Jan 9th 2015, 7:47 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Thanks guys. All good stuff to consider.

On the ability to fake the IP's, do TV's come with that ability in built?

Also is there anything to consider over LED, plasma, ???? these days?
Some make it easier to change the DNS server etc., some don't and force it to be done via the router. However, the game is stepping up and router based smartness is taking over (eg redirect 8.8.8.8)

Plasma is dead, LCD won (with LED backlight). We're now onto quantum dots, OLED screens, etc.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, a Samsung Smart TV (or equivalent) is the way to go. I love mine
Old Jan 9th 2015, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Which model and how old?
Old Jan 9th 2015, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Which model and how old?
UA40F6400AMXXY

About a year old now, but was being replaced with newer models (as they always do) and was on special.

I did reviews on it and it came out ok.

For you, probably go for a newer model.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 9:36 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

UA40F6400AMXXY
Worth pointing up the decode :

UA TV prefix
40 size in inches
F model year, it's now H, moving to I probably by March
6 series number - higher = more expensive and usually better.
400 model number
AMXXY bullsh*t often used to stop price matching
Old Jan 9th 2015, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
Worth pointing up the decode :

UA TV prefix
40 size in inches
F model year, it's now H, moving to I probably by March
6 series number - higher = more expensive and usually better.
400 model number
AMXXY bullsh*t often used to stop price matching
Yeah!!! JB-Hi-Fi
Old Jan 11th 2015, 11:07 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Ans they're nearly always cheaper than the UK - a rip-off country for tech
Old Jan 16th 2015, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go as big as possible, When I first got my 55inch about 4 years back, everyone said it was huge, it just looks normal now. My next TV will be over 70 inches and I will attach it flat to the wall.... If I could get a projector as bright as a TV with a differing by option screen size from 30 inches up to 100 plus then I'd take that route... but that option is too expensive.

I dont think you can limit yourself on size these days.... Plus as for Smart Technology, I personally reckon thats better handled outside of the box as it's easier to upgrade as quantam technical changes take place faster than a TV is capable of upgrading IMO

My Next TV will be 80 inches in about 3 years I reckon.... Flat to the wall, thin as possible, as little edging as possible and hopefully all wireless inputs and outputs.... IE no visible wires, even the power will be hidden.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 16th 2015 at 6:17 am.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I'd go as big as possible, When I first got my 55inch about 4 years back, everyone said it was huge, it just looks normal now. My next TV will be over 70 inches and I will attach it flat to the wall.... If I could get a projector as bright as a TV with a differing by option screen size from 30 inches up to 100 plus then I'd take that route... but that option is too expensive.

I dont think you can limit yourself on size these days.... Plus as for Smart Technology, I personally reckon thats better handled outside of the box as it's easier to upgrade as quantam technical changes take place faster than a TV is capable of upgrading IMO

My Next TV will be 80 inches in about 3 years I reckon.... Flat to the wall, thin as possible, as little edging as possible and hopefully all wireless inputs and outputs.... IE no visible wires, even the power will be hidden.
I agree totally with this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.