Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Trip to the UK, help please :)

Trip to the UK, help please :)

Old Apr 4th 2007, 5:29 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trip to the UK, help please :)

Matts rellies are paying for us to go to the Uk to meet their new Grandson, we will be going sometime next month.

A couple of things...

Has anyone flown Malaysian airlines? Are they ok?

Has anyone done a couple of days stop in Kuala lumpur? Is there anything to do there?

Who gives the best car hire rates in the UK at the moment? (Matts Mums even gonna hire us a car, bless her)

And where's new and worth a visit back in the mother country.(its been over 3 1/2 years!)

Thanks for any input guys.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 5:45 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trip to the UK, help please :)

Originally Posted by hevs
Matts rellies are paying for us to go to the Uk to meet their new Grandson, we will be going sometime next month.

A couple of things...

Has anyone flown Malaysian airlines? Are they ok?

Has anyone done a couple of days stop in Kuala lumpur? Is there anything to do there?

Who gives the best car hire rates in the UK at the moment? (Matts Mums even gonna hire us a car, bless her)

And where's new and worth a visit back in the mother country.(its been over 3 1/2 years!)

Thanks for any input guys.

We've flown Malaysian and they're ok, they were better the first time than the second.

KL is great for a stopover, you can get into a 5* hotel for a decent price and lounge around the pool.

I may be flying with them early May as well
Old Apr 4th 2007, 5:50 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I may be flying with them early May as well
Oh god!

(cheers for that mate )
Old Apr 4th 2007, 5:52 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Oh god!

(cheers for that mate )
I know just when you thought your bad run was over
Old Apr 4th 2007, 5:55 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by fraser
I know just when you thought your bad run was over
Old Apr 4th 2007, 5:56 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

You can sit by the pool and eat fish and chips, or you can actually explore the city, it's a great place lots of great food and the night market is not to be missed

BTW is it just a British thing flying thousands of miles and then just sitting by a pool?

KL is great for a stopover, you can get into a 5* hotel for a decent price and lounge around the pool.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 5:58 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
You can sit by the pool and eat fish and chips, or you can actually explore the city, it's a great place lots of great food and the night market is not to be missed

BTW is it just a British thing flying thousands of miles and then just sitting by a pool?
Nah - the Germans are rather fond of it too.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 5:59 am

I've explored the city I love Asia, I eat in all the hawker markets, I've also explored Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Singapore, India amongst others.

But Hevs has a very small baby so I was thinking of her relaxing after a srtressfull flight.

I look forward to your reply
Old Apr 4th 2007, 6:01 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I've explored the city I love Asia, I eat in all the hawker markets, I've also explored Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Singapore, India amongst others.

But Hevs has a very small baby so I was thinking of her relaxing after a srtressfull flight.
Aye. On which basis, the Pan Pacific Hotel, which is actually in the airport (over a walk-way thing) might be an option. Cheap but very luxurious - really nice pool/spa area (both indoors and out), restaurants etc.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 6:01 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

lol we did it with a 6 month old baby the xmas before last
Funny the locals acted like they had never seen a baby before.

Old Apr 4th 2007, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Hutch
Aye. On which basis, the Pan Pacific Hotel, which is actually in the airport (over a walk-way thing) might be an option. Cheap but very luxurious - really nice pool/spa area (both indoors and out), restaurants etc.
Probably better to go into the city and then they can have a stroll around Bukit Bintang.

Makes me laugh how people jump to conclusions, I was in Cambodia in '98 when the embassy was advising against it.

I spent 5 weks travelling around Vietnam by myself drinking snake wine and trying all sorts yet now from one sentence I'm accused of going to Asia and eating fish & chips.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 6:06 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

We've flown Malaysian before and found them to be very good. IMHO, KL is a good place for a stopover. It's a lot less busy and so less overwhelming than somewhere like Bangkok. The hawker markets are definitely worth a look. The Petronas towers are also worth a squizz - you get a good sense of the lay of the city. The Orchid Garden was also worth seeing. I really, really enjoyed the Islamic Arts Museum - there was a school group there when we went, so it's not just aimed at oldies. I really can't recommend that place enough - great exhibits and an interesting building to boot. The colonial quarter around Merdeka Square is also interesting - has a good cricket pitch. Have a fab trip, you lucky devils.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 6:07 am

lol we did it with a 6 month old baby the xmas before last
Funny the locals acted like they had never seen a baby before.
We also did it with a 4 month baby who was constantly stroked in china town.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 6:09 am
Australia's Doorman

Probably better to go into the city and then they can have a stroll around Bukit Bintang.

Makes me laugh how people jump to conclusions, I was in Cambodia in '98 when the embassy was advising against it.

I spent 5 weks travelling around Vietnam by myself drinking snake wine and trying all sorts yet now from one sentence I'm accused of going to Asia and eating fish & chips.
Was only thinking in terms of simplicity, not danger.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Hutch
Was only thinking in terms of simplicity, not danger.
I know mate, I'm a tad touchy today coming home to a letter from mr.plod and his speedgun sort of dampens the mood

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.