Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Tragic loss of young life...

Tragic loss of young life...

Old Apr 16th 2012, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

OakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud of
Default Tragic loss of young life...

A 15 year old kid has a Halloween party - food and soft drinks provided and BYO alcohol The kids were mostly 15-16 years old. Her parents approved the serving of alcohol.
They did not supply alcohol at the party but attendees were allowed to bring their own, Mr Bowden said.
By 10 pm all the kids were affected by alcohol. A fight ensued. A kid was hit, fell to the ground and lost his life. Tragic waste of life. Those stupid stupid parents must be sued for permitting alcohol to under age kids. And what were the parents doing when they were 50-55 kids at their house??? They didn't even know the name of the kid that was hurt, they could have then at least called his parents and warned them of the head injury.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...416-1x3ka.html
Old Apr 16th 2012, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tragic loss of young life...

Stupid people- BYO alcohol???? That is an offense surely.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Schoolies shocked me. Kids were 17, a few 18. The amount of drink parents were buying. For a 5 day trip, the standard was 4 bottles of spirits and 2 cases of beer each.

I was really amazed at parents buying it then then slapping the kids on the back with this good on ya mate attitude.

From my kids class, I know of one who fell blind drunk into a fire pit, and one who was in hospital from the amount of alcohol consumed.

Just last month son got home and was shocked that one of the kids from school left a party in his car after half a bottle of vodka.

I wouldnt mind but these kids have seen 2 car wrecks where kids, some from their school were killed in the most horrific smashes. ( both within one klm from the school, I mean disturbing wrecks, you cant imagine.

Made no impact obviously.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately teens see themselves as bullet proof. It is the parents who need educating, and the guts to say "no" to their teens.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Unfortunately teens see themselves as bullet proof. It is the parents who need educating, and the guts to say "no" to their teens.

I would like to know how a kid who lives at home, arrives home, stoned, pissed unable to walk properly with the car keys in hand and the parents dont notice.

Agree, some parents need a kick up the butt.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Personally I see a generational change this side of town. Drinking at parties at age 15/16 was quite normal 10 years ago with our older two. Now at least questions are asked. We do not/will not let our under 17's go to one of these anything goes parties. We used to let our older girls.... it seemed to be standard procedure back then.

I reckon things have improved a lot... peoople are taking more care now because of the stronger possibility of gate crashers. Problem is when these teenage funcions stuff up...they go wrong with a vengance. Which IMO is why we hear more about it, even though I reckon gatecrashers and alcohol are less of a problem nowthan they were in the past 30 years.

I dont think my 14yo has been anywhere near alchohol yet... So not only is he the youngest of our kids but also the oldest to get anywhere near booze. None of his mates seem interested thusfar either.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Apr 16th 2012 at 10:44 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 11:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

In some ways I feel a bit of a hypocrit... Having been carried home blind drunk from a friends party aged 14, and on numerous other occassions srumbled through the door blotto.... To be fair my parents neither knew nor approved... But I did it anyway.....

HOWEVER.. When Gorgeous (15) came home vomiting after drinking tequila at a friends party, a few weeks ago...where the friends parents were present and apparently condoning I was LESS than happy... hopalong kid videoed him on her phone throwing up crying... i'll never drink again...vom...please make it stop...vom...etc vom etc vom etc.... Vom. I threatened to put it on youtube... Unfortunately he deleted the recording .....

Words with the parents of the kid were had, including the promise that if it happened again police would be involved.... But... I held Gorgeous accountable for what he did too....

Those teenage years are difficult.. And nothing is black and white....
Old Apr 16th 2012, 11:55 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
In some ways I feel a bit of a hypocrit... Having been carried home blind drunk from a friends party aged 14, and on numerous other occassions srumbled through the door blotto.... To be fair my parents neither knew nor approved... But I did it anyway.....

HOWEVER.. When Gorgeous (15) came home vomiting after drinking tequila at a friends party, a few weeks ago...where the friends parents were present and apparently condoning I was LESS than happy... hopalong kid videoed him on her phone throwing up crying... i'll never drink again...vom...please make it stop...vom...etc vom etc vom etc.... Vom. I threatened to put it on youtube... Unfortunately he deleted the recording .....

Words with the parents of the kid were had, including the promise that if it happened again police would be involved.... But... I held Gorgeous accountable for what he did too....

Those teenage years are difficult.. And nothing is black and white....
Nasty, we've got all that about to start. My girls had their 13th the other day and a mum rang me and asked if I would be allowing alcohol. I was pretty surprised.

I didn't even have a drink myself until the last guest left.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

abi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud of

The kids need to take responsiblity too (be taught to). My mum used to buy booze for me to take to parties with my friends when I was 15 - but they were small parties where most people knew each other and there'd be maybe 20 -25 kids - because they were all good friends with the host. I never ended up doing anything stupid and carried that through to adulthood as well (obviously not counting the odd chunder or ill-advised assignation). The facebook generation is just breeding teenagers who are desperate to be 'liked' by as many people as possible whether it's genuine or not.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 12:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Nasty, we've got all that about to start. My girls had their 13th the other day and a mum rang me and asked if I would be allowing alcohol. I was pretty surprised.

I didn't even have a drink myself until the last guest left.
OMG.... That kind of thing goes on NOR???? I'm shocked!!!!!

Actually.. Seriously I AM shocked that a parent would have to phone and ask if you were allowing alcohol at a 13 year olds party.... Suppose it must have been an uber cautious parent, checking that you WERE N'T although my intitial thought was, is she checking to see whether she should send beer or vodka....

a lot of gorgeous's friends are over 18 ... Probably because he is at TAFE doing an apprenticeship, rather than at school.... But THEY know not turn up drunk here.... After slamming the door on them Just once...

we do let him have a beer/ ciderif we have a barbie/ at sunday lunch... But NOT if his friends are round and never more than one or two

I would NEVER buy my 15 year old alcohol to take to a party... Even if it was "only 25" kids there and all known to him
Old Apr 17th 2012, 12:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really impressed with my sister's teenagers, one nearly 17, the other nearly 19. I've been offering them small amounts of cider and wine when I visit since they were about 7 or 8 - usually being greeted by a polite refusal The younger one has now done one vodka binge with her mates, apart from that she likes the odd cider and is well aware of the dangers and the after effects as she has some friends who are wilder than she is. The older one, now at university, has discovered a group of mates who like to visit pubs, and drink and talk into the early morning - but even he is showing signs of knowing when to stop, knows when he's had enough etc. When I'm here there's plenty of cider in the house as I like to make the most of it and i know in a lot of households it would vanish very fast with 2 teens around. But the girl asks before she touches it -and in 10 days she's only had one small glass, while lanky student knows he can help himself but seems to be just doing a can of cider a night while he chats with his mates over the net. Their parents aren't big drinkers at all, my sister for health reasons rarely touches anything, and they've watched with trepidation as I've showed their kids "my" side of life, and now I think they're quite pleased to see not every teenager becomes a binge drinker just cos the stuff is available. Like me when I was their age, they're showing that they do have a degree of responsibility and are able to regulate their own intake.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 12:27 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Actually.. Seriously I AM shocked that a parent would have to phone and ask if you were allowing alcohol at a 13 year olds party.... Suppose it must have been an uber cautious parent, checking that you WERE N'T although my intitial thought was, is she checking to see whether she should send beer or vodka....
Lady was a saffa, they tend to be fairly conservative IMO.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kids usually need to go over the limit to discover what their limit is.... And need to learn what happens when they do....

Give Gorgeous his due, he realised he had drunk too much and came straight home .... Where he was met by the worlds smallest violin... hoppalong had a GREAT time shouting at him ...Hold the bucket... Dont you DARE vomit on the floor.... Drink this water NOW.... And we made a full english the next morning to torment him further....

Had he realised he was drunk and stayed at the party Or gone walkabout in shocko, I would have been SERIOUSLY pissed off....

Small mercies and all that.....
Old Apr 17th 2012, 3:08 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Love the words of a lot of you who put it down to bad parenting. For most of us who have challenging teens it isn't quite that simple. You know what they say about a mile in my shoes.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 3:14 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Love the words of a lot of you who put it down to bad parenting. For most of us who have challenging teens it isn't quite that simple. You know what they say about a mile in my shoes.
And the hypocricy. Did none of the previous posters come home drunk as a teen?

And C, I've walked way more than a mile in your shoes as far as the challenging teens go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.