British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Traffic Infringement Notice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/traffic-infringement-notice-741210/)

Bernieboy Dec 9th 2011 3:51 pm

Re: Traffic Infringement Notice

Originally Posted by Scubaemma (Post 9779454)
If you'd been caught speeding in that situation you would have had a lawful or emergent reason for speeding (if he'd been bitten by a deadly snake and needed to be rushed to hospital as an emergency). You would certainly have a case for claiming that.
Whenever we charge someone for anything we ask them if they have a lawful or emergent reason for committing that offense. Otherwise they have a defense for it.

I know this is irrelevant in this case, I'm just saying... :lol:

So if i was streaking down queen st in Brisbane and was caught,could i say 'something' bit my penis, on my way to the emergency room,no ticket:D

chris955 Dec 9th 2011 9:18 pm

It's the fact that you made it seem as though it's a very British thing to do. Watch any of the Aussie Police shows and listen to the accents of the people they pull over drunk, they sound pretty Australian to me. I'm not even sure why Brits were dragged into it ?

Originally Posted by Cheetah7 (Post 9779127)
Dont know if that is what you meant but it came across as purely an Aussie thing.

However, the amount of POMS I have met that think it is OK to do it and have even said 'Oh everyone does it here'

That tells me these people would do it in the UK as well if they could get away with it as easily, hence the reason why they embrace it so much here.

And the 'oh public transport, taxis are so crap here thats why I have to do it'

How sad, why not take turns to be the designated driver, or not drink or stay in and drink.

As TP said, there are wankers everywhere that D/D - that will always justify it.

chris955 Dec 9th 2011 9:21 pm

Exactly right, it is the unpredictable nature of Aussie drivers that makes them so bad, you just never know what they are going to do. I rarely feel unsafe driving at 90 mph on a UK motorway but driving at 110 kph down the Gold Coast is hair raising.

Originally Posted by twhurl (Post 9779192)

UK has the best drivers by far. I feel a lot safer driving around the M25 from Heathrow and up the A10 at 90MPH then I do tooling along the Canning highway at 60. Drivers are too unpredictable here.

Scubaemma Dec 10th 2011 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Bernieboy (Post 9779493)
So if i was streaking down queen st in Brisbane and was caught,could i say 'something' bit my penis, on my way to the emergency room,no ticket:D

Depends if you want the cops examining your penis to check for a bite mark? :blink::lol:

cresta57 Dec 10th 2011 2:00 am

Originally Posted by twhurl (Post 9779192)
Interesting. Of course injury/death is a function of speed but accidents aren't a linear function of speed especially +8KM. I've driven in UK and Canada. Montreal is a free for all where the locals accelerate thru amber lights and there is a 10 second transition when at a red light whilst 52 cars whizz through.
UK has the best drivers by far. I feel a lot safer driving around the M25 from Heathrow and up the A10 at 90MPH then I do tooling along the Canning highway at 60. Drivers are too unpredictable here.

Yet you continue to speed & get caught for it despite believing that the standards are appalling here. Beggars belief the hypocrisy sometimes. :huh::confused:
If standards are so bad here why would anyone want a higher limit? I just allow a bit longer to get to my destination, I'd rather get there in one piece than in the back of an ambulance;)

Cheetah7 Dec 10th 2011 2:04 am

Originally Posted by cresta57 (Post 9780311)
Yet you continue to speed & get caught for it despite believing that the standards are appalling here. Beggars belief the hypocrisy sometimes. :huh::confused:
If standards are so bad here why would anyone want a higher limit? I just allow a bit longer to get to my destination, I'd rather get there in one piece than in the back of an ambulance;)

Good post.:thumbsup:

DeadVim Dec 10th 2011 2:11 am

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 9780006)
Exactly right, it is the unpredictable nature of Aussie drivers that makes them so bad, you just never know what they are going to do. I rarely feel unsafe driving at 90 mph on a UK motorway but driving at 110 kph down the Gold Coast is hair raising.

On this we can agree, the run from Loganholme to, say, Coolangatta, is shocking and far worse than anything I experienced in the UK.

Tailgating + Booze/Drugs + Aggression + Powerful Cars + Speed = :ohmy:

chris955 Dec 10th 2011 2:17 am

I can tolerate the bad driving on most roads here but give them 4 and sometimes 5 lanes and they just have no clue at all. Not much frightens me but that run down there is bloody scary. Lane discipline is non existent, courtesy ditto, commonsense just forget it.

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 9780327)
On this we can agree, the run from Loganholme to, say, Coolangatta, is shocking and far worse than anything I experienced in the UK.

eddie007 Dec 10th 2011 2:19 am

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 9780337)
I can tolerate the bad driving on most roads here but give them 4 and sometimes 5 lanes and they just have no clue at all. Not much frightens me but that run down there is bloody scary. Lane discipline is non existent, courtesy ditto, commonsense just forget it.

Give em a roundabout in Western australia and they havent got a clue either...:rofl:

chris955 Dec 10th 2011 2:22 am

They aren't much better up here. The funniest thing is when we went to Florida back in the 90's and they had at that time apparently 2 roundabouts in the whole State, it was very amusing pulling up in a different country but being the only one to know what to do. :D

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 9780341)
Give em a roundabout in Western australia and they havent got a clue either...:rofl:

Cheetah7 Dec 10th 2011 5:15 am

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 9780327)

What is it with tailgating here? I just dont get it, it only makes me go slower.

And personalised number plates, someone drives around Freo with the plates 'Blingz' They do like their personalised number plates.

eddie007 Dec 10th 2011 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Cheetah7 (Post 9780517)
What is it with tailgating here? I just dont get it, it only makes me go slower.

And personalised number plates, someone drives around Freo with the plates 'Blingz' They do like their personalised number plates.

Believe me, if I had money to burn I'd be getting eddie007 on mine...

In fact if anyones feeling generous.... And wants to buy me a chrissie pressie... That would do nicely.... And a thermomix thing...

Cheetah7 Dec 10th 2011 5:20 am

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 9780521)
Believe me, if I had money to burn I'd be getting eddie007 on mine...

In fact if anyones feeling generous.... And wants to buy me a chrissie pressie... That would do nicely.... And a thermomix thing...

:eek:

I dared Mr PP to have 'I8Minge' on his car - but he wasnt having a bar of it.:lol:

cresta57 Dec 10th 2011 5:27 am

What I do find extremely dangerous here in QLD [not experienced it in other states but it may be the same] is the horrendous amount of objects littering the carriageways, particularly on multi-lane highways. I've seen tyres, ladders, mattresses, buckets, timber pallets & even a kids go-kart laid in the middle of lanes. In the U.K the motorway cops would introduce a rolling lane closure to remove it. Here it's just left to lay there, I've even seen the "candy cars" swerve to avoid stuff & just carry on driving. There was a ladder laid in the inside lane at Burpengary last week & right next to it was a bloody speed monitoring van, that's just irresponsible behaviour. If their purpose is to prevent accidents why drive past when it could cause a fatality? The QLD police facebook page currently thinks it's funny that there's a chest of drawers laid in the middle of the Pacific Motorway ffs:thumbdown::(
I caught the end of one of those U.K cop shows the other night, it showed the cops closing the M5 because a cycle had come adrift from it's carrier & was laid in the road. It reminded me lol

eddie007 Dec 10th 2011 5:29 am

Originally Posted by cresta57 (Post 9780538)
What I do find extremely dangerous here in QLD [not experienced it in other states but it may be the same] is the horrendous amount of objects littering the carriageways, particularly on multi-lane highways. I've seen tyres, ladders, mattresses, buckets, timber pallets & even a kids go-kart laid in the middle of lanes. In the U.K the motorway cops would introduce a rolling lane closure to remove it. Here it's just left to lay there, I've even seen the "candy cars" swerve to avoid stuff & just carry on driving. There was a ladder laid in the inside lane at Burpengary last week & right next to it was a bloody speed monitoring van, that's just irresponsible behaviour. If their purpose is to prevent accidents why drive past when it could cause a fatality? The QLD police facebook page currently thinks it's funny that there's a chest of drawers laid in the middle of the Pacific Motorway ffs:thumbdown::(
I caught the end of one of those U.K cop shows the other night, it showed the cops closing the M5 because a cycle had come adrift from it's carrier & was laid in the road. It reminded me lol

The one with the kids on the bus!!! I saw that too!!!:thumbsup:

Jeez its a small world....