British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Traffic Infringement Notice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/traffic-infringement-notice-741210/)

twhurl Dec 7th 2011 11:58 am

Traffic Infringement Notice

I got nicked by camera on Canning HWY doing 69 in 60.
My notice says Exceed limit by not more than 9KM.
Should I pay it and say "Thank you sir, harder next time" or contest it in court ?
If it was Canada I would be up for a good 'contest'

eddie007 Dec 7th 2011 12:43 pm

Re: Traffic Infringement Notice

Originally Posted by twhurl (Post 9775478)
Should I pay it and say "Thank you sir, harder next time" or contest it in court ?

Pay up.....

Bermudashorts Dec 7th 2011 5:22 pm

Contest it on what grounds? :confused:

Broad Shoulders Dec 7th 2011 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 9776077)
Contest it on what grounds? :confused:

"I was pissed at the time"

GarryP Dec 7th 2011 10:33 pm

The Penalty Review Board can exercise discretion to withdraw fines and issue warnings for full licence holders who have had no demerit point offences in the past 2 years and have received an infringement notice for doing less than 10kmh over the speed limit.
http://www.trafficlaw.com.au/fines.html#prb

In other words you can claim you are a good person and ask them to be nice. Of course, they are the plod and don't have to be nice, but if you say pretty please, it might work. That's particularly true if there was no real danger in the first case (eg late at night). This is often how plod themselves get off, or politicians, etc.

However you effectively have to admit guilt to play that card, so you can't really then challenge in court.

http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content...ument_id=10369

I assume Perth has something similar ?

Cheetah7 Dec 8th 2011 1:46 am

Pay up.

DeadVim Dec 8th 2011 2:34 am

Pay up, slow down, thanks for the revenue.

eddie007 Dec 8th 2011 2:37 am

Rumour has it that sometimes cops have quotas... They can go home once they have caught x number of traffic violators....

You did us all a HUGE favour getting caught.... Thank you...

gedge Dec 8th 2011 2:43 am

in NSW you get to deal with the sdro (State Debt Recovery Office) in the first instance, where you can write and send a grovelling letter with evidence to support your case
worked for me once but i don't fancy your chances

knockoff nige Dec 8th 2011 3:32 am

Amazing. The speed limits are not x kph give or take 9k.

tartankoala Dec 8th 2011 5:04 am

Contact A Current Affair and Today Tonight. This type of injustice is right up their street.

chris955 Dec 8th 2011 6:40 am

Best bet is just pay the tax and forget about it and be grateful how much safer the roads are with the archaic speeding obsession but it's great for the States coffers.

benny the ball Dec 8th 2011 9:50 pm

You were exceeding the speed limit......they caught you....pay up

DadAgain Dec 8th 2011 10:05 pm

Not sure what your objection is to be honest.

yes it's inconvenient when you get pinged and have to pay up - but it happens to all of us and its just a regular part of life in Australia. You have a number of choices:

1) Slow down - and deal with the increased chances of fading concentration and accidents

2) Pay more attention - get better at looking for cameras - and as a by-product of paying more attention actually find yourself driving more safely.

3) Drive only on a few routes you know (so you learn where the cameras hang out and know where to look or adjust your speed)

4) Keep driving with none of the above, and keep paying. As long as you dont get done too often its just a $$$ cost. Its pretty difficult (unless you're an inattentive fool who shouldnt be driving) in low-level '1 point' offences like yours to rack up 12 points in 3 years and have to deal with licence bans - so just consider it a part of the cost of driving.

I get done for speeding reasonably regularly in the car (although have done well in the last couple of years and only have 1 point on my licence! :D) - but never get done on the bike which I ride typically 10kmh+ faster than the car.

The reason I dont get done on the bike? - ATTENTION. If you're looking where you're going, aware of your surroundings and focusing on the task in hand theres no excuse for getting fined. I dont consider it to be a fine for going too fast - its a fine for NOT PAYING ENOUGH ATTENTION.

Inattention costs lives FAR FAR FAR more often than excessive speed.

knockoff nige Dec 8th 2011 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by DadAgain (Post 9778353)
1) Slow down - and deal with the increased chances of fading concentration and accidents

2) Pay more attention - get better at looking for cameras - and as a by-product of paying more attention actually find yourself driving more safely.

3) Drive only on a few routes you know (so you learn where the cameras hang out and know where to look or adjust your speed)

4) Keep driving with none of the above, and keep paying. As long as you dont get done too often its just a $$$ cost. Its pretty difficult (unless you're an inattentive fool who shouldnt be driving) in low-level '1 point' offences like yours to rack up 12 points in 3 years and have to deal with licence bans - so just consider it a part of the cost of driving.

Or just slow down. I think point 1 is a bit silly. People lose concentration whilst driving over the speed limit too.