Wikiposts

Too far from the UK

Old Aug 11th 2011, 9:23 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too far from the UK

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
I love Australia (mostly) but today it just feels like it is too far away.

My dad has just been diagnosed with inoperable cancer of the prostate which has spread to his hip and spine.

So what the local doctor called a torn muscle, was actually a fractured hip and cancer. Thanks NHS- he had to go private to get pain meds and MRI scans and has been housebound for months. My poor sister, who at 43 has had a stroke, has been looking after my dad and my mum (who has been very ill with shingles and an eye op). They live on opposite sides of Wiltshire and so she has to scurry around between houses and her job and is stressed out. My brother helps when he can.

I wish I could be there to help, but I have MS and as my sister says, what could I do?
Australia is too far away.
Sorry to hear that. I have to say, sometimes I feel the distance more than others too. I guess this is the consequence we suffer when we choose to emigrate. Thinking of you, and your family.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Had a phone call yesterday from my sister. Dad has been taken into hospital, as he is so confused he is dangerous- neighbour caught him at 6:30am trying to drive his car to my sister's as he thought she was in trouble, but he couldn't remember how to drive and he'd locked himself out of the house. He has magic pants with trackers in the knees and his bed keeps rearranging itself so that he is trying to make it all the time.

Doctors think the cancer has spread to the brain. They asked sis if she wanted him resuscitated. She had to ask me what I thought. I said no, as hed still be in pain and have no quality of life.

Now I feel dreadful.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Had a phone call yesterday from my sister. Dad has been taken into hospital, as he is so confused he is dangerous- neighbour caught him at 6:30am trying to drive his car to my sister's as he thought she was in trouble, but he couldn't remember how to drive and he'd locked himself out of the house. He has magic pants with trackers in the knees and his bed keeps rearranging itself so that he is trying to make it all the time.

Doctors think the cancer has spread to the brain. They asked sis if she wanted him resuscitated. She had to ask me what I thought. I said no, as hed still be in pain and have no quality of life.

Now I feel dreadful.
Oh Caroline,thats so tough.Poor you,poor your Dad.Have you managed to get home help for him yet.I would suggest your sister takes his keys away from him before he hurts himself or others.Hard I know.Can you go back for a visit.I know its so hard being this far away and feeling helpless.Try not feel too bad.

Last edited by irishbloo; Aug 17th 2011 at 12:51 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 11:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Now I feel dreadful.
Impossible not to but you really shouldn't. There's obviously nothing you could do if you were there and you've made the right decision (imo) about the DNR. Thank whatever that the neighbour got to him before he 'remembered' how to drive.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 12:49 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

so sorry to hear this carolne but really besides just sitting with him for a bit you wouldnt be able to do much if you were there in person.
It's a shame we cant all be in 2 places at once!
sending much love and big hugs chin up babe xxx (hug)
Old Aug 17th 2011, 5:08 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Now I feel dreadful.
Easy for us to say, but please don't. You have nothing to feel bad about at all. If he will be in pain and not have a good quality of life isn't it a kinder option to let him go?
Old Aug 17th 2011, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Caroline.... hope you get through this as peacefully as possible.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone. Waiting for news of brain scans. Can't afford to go back to see him and then again for the funeral, unless he is going to live for another 2 years, which I very much doubt.

My sister has taken the keys away, and is looking into respite care/how she nd the family can look after him if he is a little bit less confused. She doesn't want to put him in a home, but she may have no choice. So his little house will have to be sold if that is the case.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Some better news- no cancer in the brain, but they have not found what is causing the delusions, though they now think it might be an infection which didn't show up on the initial bloodwork. Dad is getting a bit aggressive apparently. I hope that the heavy antibiotics can stop that, or he'll never be able to go home.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

That's good news!

He may be very dehydrated, my Nan used to get it both at home and in hospital and she used to halucinate etc or maybe he needs a bit more oxygen?

Lets hope the antibotics work if it is an infection.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Antibiotics not working. Waiting for news of the biopsy results.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 9:43 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Antibiotics not working. Waiting for news of the biopsy results.
Gosh Caroline, I only just read about your Dad. So sorry to hear all he's going through. I hope the results aren't as bad as it seems you're thinking. I know we haven't met yet, but we have been meaning to, and I am close, so if you want to get together to chat please let me know
Old Aug 24th 2011, 9:52 am
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

Caroline, I've only just read this. I'm so sorry. I have internet for another week, so I'll leave my computer on and skype logged on when I'm around if you want to chat.

Big hugs from us all.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

So sorry to hear about this Caroline I too feel the distance and have a sick mum.....

I can't think of anything to say that would help, but I am thinking of you.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

fremantle will become famous soon enoughfremantle will become famous soon enough

Some better news- no cancer in the brain, but they have not found what is causing the delusions, though they now think it might be an infection which didn't show up on the initial bloodwork. Dad is getting a bit aggressive apparently. I hope that the heavy antibiotics can stop that, or he'll never be able to go home.
So sorry to hear about your troubles. My sister and I do worry when something happens to our mum so far away. Regarding the delusions, my ex husband's father is in his 90s and he always seemed to get delusional whenever he had a urinary infection (I think he may have a catheter but not sure) so they now know what to look out for. Perhaps it could be a similar thing with your father. Best wishes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.