Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Tonsils and Adenoids

Tonsils and Adenoids

Old Jan 16th 2009, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Rachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tonsils and Adenoids

HI,

Well we've been to the hospital today with our youngest and have been advised that he needs to have his tonsils and adenoids out. We knew this was coming but I wasn't prepared to hear how painful it would be for him and the risks of infection etc after the operation.

I've been advised that he mustn't leave the house for two weeks after the op to minimise the risks.

So i'm just wondering if anyone's children have had their tonsils and adenoids out and what your experience of their recovery time was.

Any advice appreciated

Rachel
Old Jan 16th 2009, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Sheilas Wheels has a spectacular aura aboutSheilas Wheels has a spectacular aura aboutSheilas Wheels has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Tonsils and Adenoids

Hi, my daughter had tonsils, adenoids out and grommets put in - she was only 5 at the time! I did keep her off school because of infections but she did make a speedy recovery. For her it was great because she had no more tonsilitus and her speach improved as she could hear properly. It sounds so major but everything will be fine.

Unfortunately, her adenoids grew back and she had to undergo surgery again - apparently this is very unusual! My other daughter had an ear graft last April -(to close a 40% perforated ear drum) something UK docs wouldn't do until she was 12 and she has been great - back swimming a few months later. Good luck and I am sure everything will be fine
Old Jan 16th 2009, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, my daughter had tonsils and adenoids out.

She was fine, and just had to take 2 weeks off school. But was fine during this time.
Also my sister who was 16 was fine, even though the doctors said it was more risky at this age.

But yest 2 weeks off schools etc.

Gems
Old Jan 16th 2009, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Rachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gems
Hi, my daughter had tonsils and adenoids out.

She was fine, and just had to take 2 weeks off school. But was fine during this time.
Also my sister who was 16 was fine, even though the doctors said it was more risky at this age.

But yest 2 weeks off schools etc.

Gems
Thanks for the replies, hopefully he'll be fine and be back at school after two weeks with much improved breathing.