Today Tonight

Old Mar 6th 2007, 9:18 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Today Tonight

Just read this quote about today tonight and I think it says it all

"The most ludicrous show on television, and about as accurate as a blind sniper,"

Full Story
Old Mar 6th 2007, 10:03 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Today Tonight

Originally Posted by themerlin

"The most ludicrous show on television, and about as accurate as a blind sniper,"

Full Story
My wife doesn't watch the news because she finds all the violence and general 'reality' a bit too much to bear.

Personally, I'd rather 24 hours of news than 5 minutes of this type of shite ... and that includes A Current Affair too.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
My wife doesn't watch the news because she finds all the violence and general 'reality' a bit too much to bear.

Personally, I'd rather 24 hours of news than 5 minutes of this type of shite ... and that includes A Current Affair too.
But their trailers always get your attention. I'm definitely not going to watch TT or ACA, and then the trailer pops up and says:

"Tonight, how you could save $'000s on your electricity just by changing your plugs"

or

"The chemicals that you are drinking every day that could be rotting your childs brain"

And you think... oh I better watch it then just to stop my kids brain rotting and save myself $'000s.

And it always turns out to be the biggest steaming pile of psuedo science crap. But I fall for it every time.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 4:52 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Today Tonight

Full Story
Amen to that!

In fact, the same could be said of every "current affairs" show on Australia's commercial channels.

If you want intelligent discussion, you need The 7:30 Report or Four Corners.

Incidentally, the ABC once did a spoof of the infamous "current affairs" shows; it was called Frontline, and ran for three series. I bought the lot when I visited Australia last year.

You can learn all about it here.

Old Mar 7th 2007, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

But without TT and ACA we wouldnt have Chaser doing their "What have we learned from current affairs this week" sketches - "youth gone wild" is one of my faves
Old Mar 7th 2007, 6:00 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Full Story
Yep. TT and ACA are The Daily Mail of Aussie TV and are proof that Aussies love to whinge.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Yep. TT and ACA are The Daily Mail of Aussie TV and are proof that Aussies love to whinge.
You're too kind, I'd have said The Mirror myself

I think they should rename TT "Whinge TV" - one day I'm expecting a story with Mandy Skeggs still moaning how she can knit a jumper at the traffic lights in Perth
Old Mar 7th 2007, 6:10 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
You're too kind, I'd have said The Mirror myself

I think they should rename TT "Whinge TV" - one day I'm expecting a story with Mandy Skeggs still moaning how she can knit a jumper at the traffic lights in Perth
What was the promo the other day, 'foreign companies using millions of litres of OUR water and paying only 50c a day'.
Xenophobia and nationalism in one sentence.
Other pearls are:
'Cheap foreign workers taking OUR jobs' and then the next week, 'Companies canot get enough workers, Aussie workers too lazy to work, economy being affected'.
Talk about having your cake and eating it!
Old Mar 7th 2007, 6:30 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
But their trailers always get your attention. I'm definitely not going to watch TT or ACA, and then the trailer pops up and says:

"Tonight, how you could save $'000s on your electricity just by changing your plugs"

or

"The chemicals that you are drinking every day that could be rotting your childs brain"

And you think... oh I better watch it then just to stop my kids brain rotting and save myself $'000s.

And it always turns out to be the biggest steaming pile of psuedo science crap. But I fall for it every time.
Or "Coming up later: The man who's dog is being chased by the CSA" and then right at the end of the show, after the final ad break, they tell you that 'later' means about 23½ hours later

It's a piss-poor excuse for journalism though.

Last edited by wmoore; Mar 7th 2007 at 7:40 am.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 7:38 am

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I like the diets.

One week it's shock horror we all going to die young because of our fad diets.
Then the week after it's "loose 5 kg's in one week" using the "raspberry" diet

Originally Posted by Amazulu
What was the promo the other day, 'foreign companies using millions of litres of OUR water and paying only 50c a day'.
Xenophobia and nationalism in one sentence.
Other pearls are:
'Cheap foreign workers taking OUR jobs' and then the next week, 'Companies canot get enough workers, Aussie workers too lazy to work, economy being affected'.
Talk about having your cake and eating it!
Old Mar 7th 2007, 7:40 am

Good point

Originally Posted by bridie
But without TT and ACA we wouldnt have Chaser doing their "What have we learned from current affairs this week" sketches - "youth gone wild" is one of my faves
Old Mar 7th 2007, 7:40 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

It's the presenter's little comments at the end of every film sequence that gets me. One of the stories tonight was about the plane crash in Indonesia and at the end she says sort of under her breath "must be very frightening". Well, NO SH*T.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

The ones that make me laugh are the morbidly obese people who sit there going "I desperately need this surgery or I'm going to eat myself to death"

Erm..... stop shovelling food into your gob then
Old Mar 7th 2007, 9:41 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

What was that one the other week - some old lady chained up in her retirement home. Turned out the reporter had brought the chains along to 'illustrate' how the old lady was confied.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Good point
And it's back on ABC in a couple of weeks, I think it's on Weds after Spicks & Specks once Extras has finished

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.