Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Tired of London, Tired of Life

Tired of London, Tired of Life

Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tired of London, Tired of Life

Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
See how different impressions are for different people? When I was in London the bus drivers were really courteous to me. I was staying on the boundary of 2 zones and it was a bus driver who suggested that if I walk to the next stop the next time I could save on the fare.

I do find the bus drivers here in Perth to be really friendly, too. Maybe I'm just friendly and polite to them so they reciprocate.
In every Londoner there is a potential for friendliness - you just have to adjust your dial...even in London people still thank their driver...and waiting for buses is like the Blitz cameraderie...

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

I love the influence of the many extremes I encountered daily growing up there. From the nutters to the Intellectuals, the Artists to the Druggies, the Super Professionals to the most hopeless dropouts. I'm not sure where I could have been exposed to a more diverse condensed example of humanity.

I really love Melbourne, but when you really look hard, everywhere else I've expeirenced really is bland/Sane ? compared to London. Thing is I dont think I could handle all that "input" anymore.

It's hard to accept that where I grew up... in deepest SE 13/23/6/15/25/1 is mostly a sheethhole... thing is I dont think there are many places that you can get a better preparation for the extremes that life can throw you.

I can remember one classic example of how London seems to outsiders. I remember befriending an American fellow at work. After a few weeks I invited him back to our place in Peckham.... he lasted about 15 mins before he made excuses and hi tailed it out of there... I thought we had done something wrong. It didnt dawn on me for ages... probably until I'd lived in Aus for quite a while, that his strong reaction was due to the location. So fellow Londoners, you have to accept there are some extreme unpalatables in London, that most of us can accept, whilst the rest of the world totally refuses too... and probably quite rightly.
You were a SE boy - I was a SW boy. I did have a flat in S London where our lives might have intersected and it was a wakeup call. I missed the comfort zone - and it wasn't even diverse.

One of the things BE has put me on to is the fact I grew up in a very safe and
privileged part of London - and whilst it was London - in other ways it wasn't..and although it dawned on me in early adulthood it didn't really hit. I like Melbourne because it is safe and easy - perhaps I burnt myself out there - infact in Europe in general. But the memories you take are well worth it. Melbourne is just enough for me - I know I couldn't do say Brisbane...
Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:46 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I think this is the key phrase Dorothy. A they say, you reap what you sow.
Believe me, after several years of cheerfully saying 'good morning' and 'hello' and 'nice day isn't it?' to neighbours/bus drivers/people in the post office queue and generally getting a '***** off and die' look in return I gave up. I let people sit down on the tube even after they've shoved me out of the way to get the seat, I hold the door open for people only to have the next person let it slam in my face. You can only do these things for so long before you think 'screw it' and stop bothering....
Old Jan 18th 2011, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
I'm quite happyily plodding along on the Bayside here, much rather be here than London any day.
And if you were single and didn't have kids?
Old Jan 18th 2011, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedT
Believe me, after several years of cheerfully saying 'good morning' and 'hello' and 'nice day isn't it?' to neighbours/bus drivers/people in the post office queue and generally getting a '***** off and die' look in return I gave up. I let people sit down on the tube even after they've shoved me out of the way to get the seat, I hold the door open for people only to have the next person let it slam in my face. You can only do these things for so long before you think 'screw it' and stop bothering....
My experiences in London was that people did respond..but I think the grind eventually gets to everyone and it needs 2 people. People sometimes have this shell-shocked look which I don't see in Melbourne.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 10:46 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
And if you were single and didn't have kids?
I probably wouldn't be in Australia. Wouldn't be London either though.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 11:00 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
I probably wouldn't be in Australia. Wouldn't be London either though.
I'd be in Chatham ... <shudder> <recovers> Spent this afternoon on Wynnum seafront with the sprog, it was ace!
Old Jan 19th 2011, 12:26 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
My experiences in London was that people did respond..but I think the grind eventually gets to everyone and it needs 2 people. People sometimes have this shell-shocked look which I don't see in Melbourne.
That's exactly it. People put their head down and keep shuffling on coz often it's the only way to get to and from work without pounding some moron who stops at the top of the stairs to send a text!!

I really really try to still be pleasant to people but generally by Friday I want to kill everyone. In fact my husband (who doesn't commute) comes to meet me at the station sometimes coz apparently my facial expression (of doom and murder potential)when I get off the train is *hilarious*!!

If it wasn't for commuting I imagine I'd enjoy London a lot more than I do.

Tx
Old Jan 19th 2011, 6:39 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I'm full of internal conflicts re my past life in London. The worst being the realisation that I could no longer be happy or satisfied with where I grew up, which is sad as growing up for 22 years amongst my fellow South Londoners is probably where most of my current personality and makeup comes from.

I love the influence of the many extremes I encountered daily growing up there. From the nutters to the Intellectuals, the Artists to the Druggies, the Super Professionals to the most hopeless dropouts. I'm not sure where I could have been exposed to a more diverse condensed example of humanity.

I really love Melbourne, but when you really look hard, everywhere else I've expeirenced really is bland/Sane ? compared to London. Thing is I dont think I could handle all that "input" anymore.

It's hard to accept that where I grew up... in deepest SE 13/23/6/15/25/1 is mostly a sheethhole... thing is I dont think there are many places that you can get a better preparation for the extremes that life can throw you.

I can remember one classic example of how London seems to outsiders. I remember befriending an American fellow at work. After a few weeks I invited him back to our place in Peckham.... he lasted about 15 mins before he made excuses and hi tailed it out of there... I thought we had done something wrong. It didnt dawn on me for ages... probably until I'd lived in Aus for quite a while, that his strong reaction was due to the location. So fellow Londoners, you have to accept there are some extreme unpalatables in London, that most of us can accept, whilst the rest of the world totally refuses too... and probably quite rightly.
This is an interesting post. Particularly the part where you stated: "The worst being the realisation that I could no longer be happy or satisfied with where I grew up". Was that realisation honestly before you left? The reason I ask is I had the same realisation after I left my original home town (Cardiff). I cannot imagine myself living there again. Not because I dislike the place but more because I've ourgrown it and maybe because I left it in the first place. Taking this further, I can easily see myself living in several other cities around the world before ending my tenure on earth. ...Wanderlust, I guess
Old Jan 19th 2011, 7:13 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Sad. I understand how you feel but you have to remind yourself that you're better than that. It reminds me of frequent thoughts that I've had when it comes to letting people out of side streets, etc to join traffic. My pre-disposition was (and still is) to let people out and yet when I am stuck in that side street I often struggle to to be allowed out into the traffic. Some road users will even go out of their way to block entry. At times like that I think "Sod it! Why should I put on a friendly and easy going face and continue to allow people out when few 'reciprocate' when the boot is on the other foot?" As tempting as it's been to adopt a negative approach my conclusion has alsways been that it's better to be bright, cheerful and forgiving than dark, grumpy and vindictive even if sometimes we bump into people who seem eager to spoil our days. Best to deny them victory by shrugging it off and continuing to smile

...But having said that - we're still entitled to belly-ache about it afterwards: grumpy old man/woman style
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by paulry
This is an interesting post. Particularly the part where you stated: "The worst being the realisation that I could no longer be happy or satisfied with where I grew up". Was that realisation honestly before you left? The reason I ask is I had the same realisation after I left my original home town (Cardiff). I cannot imagine myself living there again. Not because I dislike the place but more because I've ourgrown it and maybe because I left it in the first place. Taking this further, I can easily see myself living in several other cities around the world before ending my tenure on earth. ...Wanderlust, I guess
Ozzie mate - my 2c - you also have to ask yourself - does all this reflection bother you, from an intellectual perspective, from a guilt perspective, that you both like and dislike an older life - or it is just an amusing and interesting memory. I'm a great believer in cherishing memories and accepting that some of them made you the person you are now - but ultimately we have to move on. If someone (generally) can't move on from that happy (not always happy) memory then it needs to be fixed. If you like aspects of it but could never live there now then it means you have sort of fixed it and can just tap into the memory and experience. Your Melbourne life has the potential to help you in a way other Expats would kill for! But I think you know this.

Originally Posted by paulry
...But having said that - we're still entitled to belly-ache about it afterwards: grumpy old man/woman style
With the old commute thing what makes it a grind is the routine and having to work hard at those termini and on the tube. I remember the train in was the easy bit and no hardship at all. About the only suggestion I have is to occasionally break it, say with a pint on the concourse at Waterloo etc and just watch people stumble past. Get it down quick so that you can get back asp!

W
Old Jan 19th 2011, 9:12 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

That's exactly it. People put their head down and keep shuffling on coz often it's the only way to get to and from work without pounding some moron who stops at the top of the stairs to send a text!!

I really really try to still be pleasant to people but generally by Friday I want to kill everyone. In fact my husband (who doesn't commute) comes to meet me at the station sometimes coz apparently my facial expression (of doom and murder potential)when I get off the train is *hilarious*!!

Tx
But certainly that's the same with the commute in any city in the world. I know it's like that here in Perth and it was in Toronto when I commuted there as well.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm full of internal conflicts re my past life in London. The worst being the realisation that I could no longer be happy or satisfied with where I grew up, which is sad as growing up for 22 years amongst my fellow South Londoners is probably where most of my current personality and makeup comes from.

Top post. I love the chaos and diversity of London. In comparison Oz seems....well...boring in many ways I guess. But obviously is much more stable/sane/nice Currently I live in Surry Hills so get a bit of that liveliness and the best of both worlds to some extent.

Its also interesting in what you say about how being raised there has prepared you for anything. I totally agree. I grew up in a similarly dodgy area (NW10) and now feel I could live anywhere and handle anything. The almost universal pre-conceived notion is that its always better for kids to be raised somewhere quiet and 'safe' but I'm not so sure. Obviously you don't want to bring your kids up on a council estate out of choice but I don't think the other extreme of cocooning kids in a sleepy one-dimensional suburb isn't particularly healthy either.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
Top post. I love the chaos and diversity of London. In comparison Oz seems....well...boring in many ways I guess. But obviously is much more stable/sane/nice Currently I live in Surry Hills so get a bit of that liveliness and the best of both worlds to some extent.

Its also interesting in what you say about how being raised there has prepared you for anything. I totally agree. I grew up in a similarly dodgy area (NW10) and now feel I could live anywhere and handle anything. The almost universal pre-conceived notion is that its always better for kids to be raised somewhere quiet and 'safe' but I'm not so sure. Obviously you don't want to bring your kids up on a council estate out of choice but I don't think the other extreme of cocooning kids in a sleepy one-dimensional suburb isn't particularly healthy either.
Good post.

I've heard alot about parts of NW and SE London and am almost ashamed to admit I've barely been to those parts. It really is a melting pot. My experience of London N/NW was Hampstead, of all places, for crying out loud. And I knew the City, and WC1, and SW1. Where I was brought up there was elements of roughness but it was more around money (too much given to people who couldn't handle it on the fringes) - or bad behaviour in certain spots ie clubs or shopping towns. Infact exactly like any Australian city. My immediate circle would obviously be some 40 odd square miles.. But it was still really very WASP. That said, it was still busy...which someone might miss in an Australian suburb.

Most of my life experiences came from elsewhere but I will not document these here. I hope to pass on some of these lessons to my kids as the need arises as they are brought up here in relative shelter.

"OK Son, this is how a knife goes in... [Don't tell your mother I told you this]."
Old Jan 19th 2011, 3:54 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

The rat race commuting of SE England/London was one of my main reasons for wanting to leave.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.