Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Tired of London, Tired of Life

Tired of London, Tired of Life

Old Jan 18th 2011, 6:56 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tired of London, Tired of Life

...And the two buses that arrive at the same time: One bus nearly full and the other nearly empty. The full one stops and the nearly empty one skips the stop
Old Jan 18th 2011, 6:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
...And the long wait ending with the arrival of three buses at once ...And the bus that prematurely terminates with no expanation or refund ...And the string of not quite overcrowded buses that skip your stop ...And the death of queueing ...And the bad mannered Polish drivers

...Followed by my first time use of buses in Australia: A "Gidday" and a bright smile from the driver of a clean and fresh 25% full bus
Easy to tell you're not in Brisbane
Old Jan 18th 2011, 6:59 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

There's nothing like a good moan to start off the day
Old Jan 18th 2011, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

...Followed by my first time use of buses in Australia: A "Gidday" and a bright smile from the driver of a clean and fresh 25% full bus
Ah but they dont come every 3 minutes! And the way they jerk and lurch can make you feel car sick in a very few minutes!

And no, Australians are genetically incapable of queuing it's every man for himself come knocking off time so dont get killed in the rush as little old ladies with shopping use their elbows to get on first!
Old Jan 18th 2011, 7:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

He hasnt dont Canberra at knocking off time or school exit time either
Old Jan 18th 2011, 7:07 am
Banned

Originally Posted by quoll
Ah but they dont come every 3 minutes! And the way they jerk and lurch can make you feel car sick in a very few minutes!

And no, Australians are genetically incapable of queuing it's every man for himself come knocking off time so dont get killed in the rush as little old ladies with shopping use their elbows to get on first!
I've noticed that with other aspects of life in Australia where I would expect people to queue.

It's just as well I brought my London bus-riding attire then
Old Jan 18th 2011, 7:09 am
Banned

He hasnt dont Canberra at knocking off time or school exit time either
Race ya to the bus stop!
Old Jan 18th 2011, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Race ya to the bus stop!
LOL, I'm the little old lady with shopping bags and elbows!!!
Old Jan 18th 2011, 7:23 am
Banned

LOL, I'm the little old lady with shopping bags and elbows!!!
That thought did cross my mind!
Old Jan 18th 2011, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

I live in London (off to US in March) and have lived here for over 20 years. It's a very special place and I still get an incredible buzz when I go to "up west" but today when I was stuck in traffic for hours the love affair faded somewhat!
Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:06 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

...I was thinking exactly the same thing. At least the buses in Brisbane are polite though, "Sorry, Bus Full", "Sorry, Bus Full", "Sorry, Bus Full"!

OK...I'll walk then!
Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
...I was thinking exactly the same thing. At least the buses in Brisbane are polite though, "Sorry, Bus Full", "Sorry, Bus Full", "Sorry, Bus Full"!

OK...I'll walk then!
I can still remember the little single decker buses in outer London full of little old ladies going to the supermarket and assorted riff-raff. The long lines of people sharing intelligence - 'Is it a 223? No - it's a R44!!' The monotony of it all! The 15 year old trying to get away with half-fare...the way the tourist with his suitcase from Heathrow fell over it when the driver over zealously brought the bus to a halt...the way youths tried to look cool as they groped and swung their way from pole to pole on entry and exit...the maps of Zone 4...red 'Request' stops...better get your hand up quick...

I have never caught a bus in Australia.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jan 18th 2011 at 8:45 am.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:49 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I can still remember the little single decker buses in outer London full of little old ladies going to the supermarket and assorted riff-raff. The long lines of people sharing intelligence - 'Is it a 223? No - it's a R44!!' The monotony of it all! The 15 year old trying to get away with half-fare...the way the tourist with his suitcase from Heathrow fell over it when the driver over zealously brought the bus to a halt...the way youths tried to look cool as they groped and swung their way from pole to pole on entry and exit...the maps of Zone 4...red 'Request' stops...better get your hand up quick...

I have never caught a bus in Australia.
Riff-raff!

You just don't do buses in Melbourne, well someone must...but I don't know any of em.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Riff-raff!

You just don't do buses in Melbourne, well someone must...but I don't know any of em.
Same. It's trams or - even, perish the thought - train. (The country train gets top order in the pecking order commute).

For some it's trams - or nothing.

("Well in that case, you're nothing")
Old Jan 18th 2011, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Riff-raff!

They invented a new route for the Smart Bus here last year.... Altona to Morrabbin... over 4 hours of travel !!! They've now added the Airport to Chelsea, which has to be close to 4 hours as well.... every 12 mins they run. So they are trying. There are a few of these long, cross Melbourne routes now. Plenty of people catch buses around here.

As for London.... I really enjoyed growing up and living there, I got a real sense of pride from it. Didnt enjoy it so much last trip back I think that is more to do with me than London though, which is sad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.