Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Tired of London, Tired of Life

Tired of London, Tired of Life

Old Jan 16th 2011, 9:07 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tired of London, Tired of Life

[QUOTE=scottishcelts;9106553]
Originally Posted by RedT
Unlikely, I'm delighted to be moving before they're on...

Not if I can help it...

Never loved it in the first place, it was a means to an end (to get to Oz) and it's worn me down, I'm completely fed up of the place. There are bits I like (South Bank for one) but generally it's noisy, overcrowded and miserable.[/QUOTE]

That's Londoners for ya.
Yep! As an Irish person who loves to chat I find it stiffling...
Old Jan 16th 2011, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
We were there last July. It's still a world-class city and was absolutely buzzing. With the good exchange rate of today, it is also cheaper than Australia for a lot of things. I don't miss the crap commuting and miserable people/weather though.

Great place to visit, shit place to live (unless you are fabulously wealthy).
Yep, sums it up mostly.

Still wouldn't live there if I was fabulously wealthy though. Would choose a warmer place.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
So who's going to watch the London Olympics next year?

Have you been to London recently?

Do you still love London?
No, not interested in the Olympics and was always against the London bid as I felt the infrastructure was not up to supporting it. Based on ten years of commuting at that time.

Not been to London for over six months, since we came here.

Yes I love London. Always will. It is the most fantastic city and I hope to get back later this year. London for me is "home" in the UK, although I am really a northerner.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 10:26 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

i know many friends who use london as gateway to europe
Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:25 pm
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by commonwealth
So who's going to watch the London Olympics next year?

Have you been to London recently?

Do you still love London?
I hate living in cities but lodon is one that I like. Can't say I'd want to be around for the olypics though
Old Jan 17th 2011, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

I like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to behold

3) I love, love London it's my favorite city and was there in 2009.

I saw many changes - it was cleaner then last time I visited, all the buses were user friendly for prams & the disabled, lots of very inovative new buildings, improved tube stations, Oster card easy to use on public transport, replacing all the sewerage pipes ( could do with doing this in Brisbane ), many people riding bikes as a form of transport and buses & cars seem very courteous towards them.

Just to mention a few of the things I did in 7 days:

3 theatre visits - Billy Elliot was the highlight with a standing ovation - fabulous.
British museum - saw the Elgin Marbles for the first time and NO the British should not give them back.
Harrods
Shopping on Oxford Street
Lego Land
Walk through Hyde Park to see Princess Diana's mermorial - dreadful reminds me of a toilet.
Visited St Ormonds Street hospital& had a tour where my daughter worked
Tour round Buckingham Palace. I'm not a royalist but was very impressed with the organisation,exhibition of the Queen's clothes and the excellent audio presentation.
Excellent restaurants
Worst Indian curry I have every had in Brick Lane - the meat was processed rubbish with some dreadful sauce over it. I live in Bradford for 3 years so know what a good curry should taste like.
Loved the 'Gerkin' what a fabulous piece of architecture.
Museum about the 2nd World War on the South Bank.
Visited Trafalgar Square- very clean now they have got rid of the dirty pigeons. Watched daughter in a Swing Dance Troup do a presentation in the Square as part of a festival. Can't remember the name of it.

Loved all the different cultures, history, buildings, shops, food it made me feel really alive and part of a very exciting forward looking society. Planning a trip back to see the Olympics and the huge Cultural Festival they are planning to coinside with Olympics.

Is it any wonder I dislike boring, boring Brisbane.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 11:15 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I like tea
3) I love, love London it's my favorite city and was there in 2009.

I saw many changes - it was cleaner then last time I visited, all the buses were user friendly for prams & the disabled, lots of very inovative new buildings, improved tube stations, Oster card easy to use on public transport, replacing all the sewerage pipes ( could do with doing this in Brisbane ), many people riding bikes as a form of transport and buses & cars seem very courteous towards them.

Just to mention a few of the things I did in 7 days:

3 theatre visits - Billy Elliot was the highlight with a standing ovation - fabulous.
British museum - saw the Elgin Marbles for the first time and NO the British should not give them back.
Harrods
Shopping on Oxford Street
Lego Land
Walk through Hyde Park to see Princess Diana's mermorial - dreadful reminds me of a toilet.
Visited St Ormonds Street hospital& had a tour where my daughter worked
Tour round Buckingham Palace. I'm not a royalist but was very impressed with the organisation,exhibition of the Queen's clothes and the excellent audio presentation.
Excellent restaurants
Worst Indian curry I have every had in Brick Lane - the meat was processed rubbish with some dreadful sauce over it. I live in Bradford for 3 years so know what a good curry should taste like.
Loved the 'Gerkin' what a fabulous piece of architecture.
Museum about the 2nd World War on the South Bank.
Visited Trafalgar Square- very clean now they have got rid of the dirty pigeons. Watched daughter in a Swing Dance Troup do a presentation in the Square as part of a festival. Can't remember the name of it.

Loved all the different cultures, history, buildings, shops, food it made me feel really alive and part of a very exciting forward looking society. Planning a trip back to see the Olympics and the huge Cultural Festival they are planning to coinside with Olympics.

Is it any wonder I dislike boring, boring Brisbane.
so why are you in brisbane?
Old Jan 17th 2011, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

I like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to behold

I ask myself that everyday. But now my children are self sufficent I'm planning to relocate to the UK as soon as I can.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 12:56 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Not going to Olympics.
Back in June 2010
Don't love it and won't be returning for a loooong time.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 12:57 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
We were there last July. It's still a world-class city and was absolutely buzzing. With the good exchange rate of today, it is also cheaper than Australia for a lot of things. I don't miss the crap commuting and miserable people/weather though.

Great place to visit, shit place to live (unless you are fabulously wealthy).
Originally Posted by Alfresco
Yep, sums it up mostly.

Still wouldn't live there if I was fabulously wealthy though. Would choose a warmer place.
Yeah, I completely agree. Been away from there for nearly 3 months now. I miss all the people I knew, all the familiar places and historical gems such as Parliament Square, embankment, St Pauls, easy public transport, etc. Not sure that I would go to the effort to return there on holiday. Better to visit somewhere that I've not been before. But no intention of saying "never" ...been there done that.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 12:58 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Bus drivers courteous to cyclists???!

London during the Olympics will be a nightmare for anyone just trying to get on with living in London. Roads are going to be closed off to guarantee athletes get to the stadia on time for events = buses on diversion, tubes heaving with extra travellers, trains packed, no chance of getting anything to eat without a major queue etc etc. London can't cope with the amount of people it has now, let alone an influx of tourists all going to the same place at the same time.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 1:00 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Bus drivers courteous to cyclists???!

London during the Olympics will be a nightmare for anyone just trying to get on with living in London. Roads are going to be closed off to guarantee athletes get to the stadia on time for events = buses on diversion, tubes heaving with extra travellers, trains packed, no chance of getting anything to eat without a major queue etc etc. London can't cope with the amount of people it has now, let alone an influx of tourists all going to the same place at the same time.
Oh yeah, forgot about the overcrowded and smelly buses
Old Jan 18th 2011, 1:06 am
not sure...

Originally Posted by paulry
Oh yeah, forgot about the overcrowded and smelly buses
and the drivers who would sooner kill you with a death stare than answer the simple question 'do you go by Victoria?'...

and no, you can't tell by looking at the front of the bus coz it's usually wrong or shows half of two different destinations...
Old Jan 18th 2011, 1:28 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Even the terrorists are getting tired of London
Old Jan 18th 2011, 6:50 am
Banned

and the drivers who would sooner kill you with a death stare than answer the simple question 'do you go by Victoria?'...

and no, you can't tell by looking at the front of the bus coz it's usually wrong or shows half of two different destinations...
...And the long wait ending with the arrival of three buses at once ...And the bus that prematurely terminates with no expanation or refund ...And the string of not quite overcrowded buses that skip your stop ...And the death of queueing ...And the bad mannered Polish drivers

...Followed by my first time use of buses in Australia: A "Gidday" and a bright smile from the driver of a clean and fresh 25% full bus

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.