Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

tinned tomatoes..yes, really.

tinned tomatoes..yes, really.

Old Sep 22nd 2011, 8:01 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tinned tomatoes..yes, really.

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
OI! Get these recipes in the Recipe Thread. Which reminds me, I was going to put out a world wide call for more recipes. Must do that.
sorry miss

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I will, I thought Sambal Olek were in the lower echelons of the Romanian Football League.

I didn't know Romanian's ate it neiver
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 3:58 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

I also find adding a stock cube to mince helps bring out the flavour
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 4:45 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78
I also find adding a stock cube to mince helps bring out the flavour
Stock cubes almost universally contain loads of MSG, they bring out the flavor on anything. I use a dash of nam pla or sweet soy sauce or a sprinkle of parmiggiano,depending on what the deal is, because these things are naturally full of glutamates.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 6:44 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newjersey
Stock cubes almost universally contain loads of MSG, they bring out the flavor on anything. I use a dash of nam pla or sweet soy sauce or a sprinkle of parmiggiano,depending on what the deal is, because these things are naturally full of glutamates.
MSG is ok in moderation
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mon...tamate/AN01251
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 1:04 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Stock cubes are chemicals and salt. Why people think putting them in their food is a good idea or helps with flavour is beyond me. Disgusting shite.

IMO obviously.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

Sausage In The Pot.

Recipe:

1kg sausages chopped or leave whole (but prick them)
3 potatoes chopped up
1 large carrot chopped up
1 onion finely chopped
2 tins of chopped tomatoes, capsicum & onion
1 tbs curry powder
2 tbs brown sugar
1 tbs garlic
1 tbs worcestshire sauce
------------
Put the sausage and tin toms in your slow cooker or oven dish, wash cut all the veggies and par boil for 20 minutes (no salt).
drain and let cool slightly (this helps when putting into main dish - as a cooling item will absorb more than a hot one) science lesson over

Throw them all into the oven on gas mark 5 for a hour and a half then turn down to about 3. electric ovens 200 for about two hours, slow cookers all day.

Serve with mashed spuds or rice, all washed away with a nice crisp cold beer or three
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 4:15 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deb68
Sausage In The Pot.

Recipe:

1kg sausages chopped or leave whole (but prick them)
3 potatoes chopped up
1 large carrot chopped up
1 onion finely chopped
2 tins of chopped tomatoes, capsicum & onion
1 tbs curry powder
2 tbs brown sugar
1 tbs garlic
1 tbs worcestshire sauce
------------
Put the sausage and tin toms in your slow cooker or oven dish, wash cut all the veggies and par boil for 20 minutes (no salt).
drain and let cool slightly (this helps when putting into main dish - as a cooling item will absorb more than a hot one) science lesson over

Throw them all into the oven on gas mark 5 for a hour and a half then turn down to about 3. electric ovens 200 for about two hours, slow cookers all day.

Serve with mashed spuds or rice, all washed away with a nice crisp cold beer or three
I did a very similar one, but with lamb shanks - need to roll them (pressing really hard) in crushed pepper, lemon zest and rock salt first, to form a bit of a crust, then braise on a skillet to seal the meat and then put it all together in the same way. The veggies and the sauce have to cover the meat (select a good size Dutch oven or a casserole to distribute meat and veggies evenly), or it will be at risk of drying.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

We did one last week with a Coles economy rump steak pack, i trimmed the fat off the side and cubed the meat largish chunks, rolled in a little flour then flash fried to seal, placed in pot instead of sausage, way better than stewing steak, and about the same price and because its the economy pack it rendors down better, very nice meal it was to.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Woolies cheap is good enough-add a bit of tomato paste and lots of herbs, and just a little sugar (brown). Brings out the flavour. Salt is optional- I try not to use it in cooking, having been put off by mum emptying huge quantities of it over everything. Kills your tastebuds and raises your blood pressure.

The Queen never has salt added her food. Don't know if that is a recommendation or not.
Thats because everything put in front of her is perfectly seasoned... Go to any DECENT restaurant and there wont be salt and pepper on the table... No ketchup either....

But she DOES use tupperware!
Old Sep 24th 2011, 3:37 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Stock cubes are chemicals and salt. Why people think putting them in their food is a good idea or helps with flavour is beyond me. Disgusting shite.

IMO obviously.
Cos I'm far too lazy to make me own.

BE is far too important
Old Sep 24th 2011, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by rasen78
Cos I'm far too lazy to make me own.

BE is far too important
I am too lazy and I do a two in one so to speak. Take two chicken tits on a bone, cut them off (does not have to be perfectly clean), season the meat and wrap in a tin foil making two pockets (don't have to be waterproof, but not too loose either). While you are working the chicken, boil a kettle. Throw everything in a pot (including the bones), cover with boiling water and add and any or all of the following - a carrot, a stalk of celery, a small onion, a teaspoon of coriander seeds, a couple of spoons of bacon fried in butter, i.e. go nuts with seasoning. Give it about 15 minutes on a medium flame, remove the tits, discard the foil and strain the stock.

Use this time to start a veggie salad, sautee an celery stick, onion/leek or a tin of tomatoes with some gaahlic (use stock to make a gravy of some description), start a cup of rice in two cups of boiling water with a bag of green tea (hell yeah) and by the end of 20 minutes you end up with a salad, a main dish, a sauce of sorts, and if you were willing to invest another 5-7 minutes into it, a soup - chickpea/leek/spud/spoon of double cream or button mushrooms/white end of leek/cheese/blitzed into a creme, or your basic carrot-spud-alphabet pasta variety.

Geez I'm hungry.