British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Time for my first moan about Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/time-my-first-moan-about-australia-709300/)

Family of 3 Mar 14th 2011 2:40 pm

Time for my first moan about Australia

.....but not a very big one!

Don't they have actors here? I keep hearing and seeing terrible commercials with voiceovers from people who sound like they died 5 years ago.

Tonight was "buy your trousers from Rivers" in a monotone. It was so bad I had to look up from loading the dishwasher to see what it was. Which may have been the point...........

TiddlyPom Mar 14th 2011 8:29 pm

Re: Time for my first moan about Australia

Who says you have to put actors in a commercial?

bcworld Mar 14th 2011 8:37 pm

For some reason Rivers seems to think these monotone ads are really clever. I don't really get it, when you're selling products as naff as those they really need some spruiking!

ponyrama Mar 14th 2011 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9239593)
For some reason Rivers seems to think these monotone ads are really clever. I don't really get it, when you're selling products as naff as those they really need some spruiking!

But you remember them though dont ya? eh? :thumbup:

bcworld Mar 14th 2011 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by ponyrama (Post 9239596)
But you remember them though dont ya? eh? :thumbup:

Sure, but every time I see one it makes me even less likely to set foot in Rivers.

ponyrama Mar 14th 2011 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9239602)
Sure, but every time I see one it makes me even less likely to set foot in Rivers.

Aye I'm with you on that one....but for every two of us, there's twenty thousand who make it their first stop on pay day (notice I did not say centrelink payday)..........and some of your friends will go there - they just wont admit it!

Kooky. Mar 14th 2011 9:00 pm

Oh Fo3, you have a lot to learn. Of course they have actors! About half a dozen. They're in everything. *

The Hozelink ad is my favourite :)

* Actually I think there are some fantastic Australian actors, but they're all in Hollywood putting on American accents.

soapy© Mar 14th 2011 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9239593)

there are far too many adverts that shout at you and i mean shout
rivers i think are trying to be clever and not shout
i dont mind their adverts because i dont have to jump for the remote:thumbup:

bcworld Mar 14th 2011 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by soapy© (Post 9239791)
there are far too many adverts that shout at you and i mean shout
rivers i think are trying to be clever and not shout
i dont mind their adverts because i dont have to jump for the remote:thumbup:

I haven't seen a shouty ad for ages...the best (worst) ones were always for those old tatt sales in the Brisbane convention centre!

Rambi Mar 14th 2011 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Family of 3 (Post 9238979)
.....but not a very big one!

Don't they have actors here? I keep hearing and seeing terrible commercials with voiceovers from people who sound like they died 5 years ago.

Tonight was "buy your trousers from Rivers" in a monotone. It was so bad I had to look up from loading the dishwasher to see what it was. Which may have been the point...........

No. All the good ones move to Hollywood.

The problem can be cured. Watch Imparja for a month and you will never complain about crappy adverts ever again. :thumbup:

Rambi Mar 14th 2011 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9239844)
I haven't seen a shouty ad for ages...the best (worst) ones were always for those old tatt sales in the Brisbane convention centre!

I don't think you get them so much down here. The occasional one selling rugs and carpets in Jeff's Shed and that's about it.

bcworld Mar 14th 2011 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by Rambi (Post 9239860)
I don't think you get them so much down here. The occasional one selling rugs and carpets in Jeff's Shed and that's about it.

There used to be Chris & Marie with their nursery...not so much shouty as just plain bizarre...not seen that for ages though.

jothefw Mar 14th 2011 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Rambi (Post 9239857)
No. All the good ones move to Hollywood.

The problem can be cured. Watch Imparja for a month and you will never complain about crappy adverts ever again. :thumbup:

Depending on how regional you are (I mean outback Whoop Whoop) there's adverts explaining basic hygiene and how to blow your nose :huh:

Dorothy Mar 14th 2011 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Seasider (Post 9239649)
Oh Fo3, you have a lot to learn. Of course they have actors! About half a dozen. They're in everything. *

The Hozelink ad is my favourite :)

* Actually I think there are some fantastic Australian actors, but they're all in Hollywood putting on American accents.

I hate that Hoselink ad. I really want to punch that old dude in the face. Hard. And then smack the stupid chick upside the head with a length of hose. :curse:

jad n rich Mar 14th 2011 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9239602)

We went in on one of the monotone ads, partner got some very sturdy sneakers, ( hiking boot quality the sort of quality you would get in Canada/USA ) for $25. I was amazed as what you would normally get here for that price would be falling apart after 2 days.

I also picked up a pair of 50's style drainpipe jeans, $20, would have cost a freaking fortune in a retro shop.

Mnd you the other 99% of the stock was crap:lol: and the leftover sizes like size 7 mens shoes, or size 14 nowt in between:rofl: