British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Time for my first moan about Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/time-my-first-moan-about-australia-709300/)

Kooky. Mar 16th 2011 10:14 am

Re: Time for my first moan about Australia

Originally Posted by itigo (Post 9242834)
It's the lady with the teeth I don't like (Brand Power?)

:lol: Same here. Too many teeth, too white.

PamE Mar 16th 2011 10:44 am

I haven't even tried to watch a movie on any channel with ads in like FOREVER, I just can't do it. 90 minute movie takes 2.5 hours to run because of them. The ads well....least said better :lol: When we first got here we were stunned by the ads here in regional NSW. I don't know if you get the same in cities but most of them look like they were made in someone's shed on powerpoint, and I suppose they probably were. But now....OH said to me the other day as we endured some nonsense ad break for the sake of watching something halfway decent in between the ad breaks, "hey do you know what, I don't even find these ads strange any more, they have become normal to me" and is same for me. We have assimilated haha.

Seriously tho, the TV (freeview) SUCKS, I hardly watch it any more, not a lot good and what is good has too many ads, Grey's Anatomy is my fave prog in world and I am waiting for it to come out on DVD rather than watch current series on Prime.

But, imo crappy TV is a small price to pay for an otherwise most enjoyable Aussie life ;)

Rambi Mar 16th 2011 10:54 am

Can't believe noone has mentioned Frank Walker yet. SHUDDER Can't even type the phrase..........oh, just realised it's probably because he's on the radio!!

I didn't notice her teeth :D

Rambi Mar 16th 2011 10:59 am

Originally Posted by PamE (Post 9243449)
I haven't even tried to watch a movie on any channel with ads in like FOREVER, I just can't do it. 90 minute movie takes 2.5 hours to run because of them. The ads well....least said better :lol: When we first got here we were stunned by the ads here in regional NSW. I don't know if you get the same in cities but most of them look like they were made in someone's shed on powerpoint, and I suppose they probably were. But now....OH said to me the other day as we endured some nonsense ad break for the sake of watching something halfway decent in between the ad breaks, "hey do you know what, I don't even find these ads strange any more, they have become normal to me" and is same for me. We have assimilated haha.

Seriously tho, the TV (freeview) SUCKS, I hardly watch it any more, not a lot good and what is good has too many ads, Grey's Anatomy is my fave prog in world and I am waiting for it to come out on DVD rather than watch current series on Prime.

But, imo crappy TV is a small price to pay for an otherwise most enjoyable Aussie life ;)

I was wondering what everyone was complaining about until I watched Imparja. Their adverts are definitely channelling Pearl and Dean.

Not sure if you're into watching TV on your computer but you might want to check this out. http://au.tv.yahoo.com/plus7/greys-anatomy/

PamE Mar 16th 2011 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Rambi (Post 9243471)
Not sure if you're into watching TV on your computer but you might want to check this out. http://au.tv.yahoo.com/plus7/greys-anatomy/

Aw thanks but we're only on a dongle so not enough juice. I'm looking forward to my marathon week with the DVD boxed set tho :D

Scubaemma Mar 17th 2011 4:07 am

Is she the one who manages to hold a full on, lots of teeth, smile as she talks?!

What_a_life Mar 18th 2011 1:30 am

Dont like Jeff Jowett, or whatever hes called. The body trim guy, the eat whatever you want and STILL lose weight guy.What a liar,as if you could eat choc,and pasta,and bread all day long n still lose 3 dress sizes!!.
Also have reservations about the crimsafe ad,if I went to buy a house,and it was covered in that stuff I wouldnt want it, as would wonder what kind of bogans were living in the area!!

jad n rich Mar 18th 2011 1:50 am

Just why do they have Ma and Pa moaning old farts keep popping up ( every ad break) telling us how lucky they were to have a funeral plan.

Latest ad has some bunch of 50 something women having a bake sale :rofl: to pay for some old dudes funeral who I assume didnt have the plan. So convincing NOT:rolleyes:

brissybee Mar 18th 2011 1:56 am

Originally Posted by What_a_life (Post 9247415)
Dont like Jeff Jowett, or whatever hes called. The body trim guy, the eat whatever you want and STILL lose weight guy.What a liar,as if you could eat choc,and pasta,and bread all day long n still lose 3 dress sizes!!.
Also have reservations about the crimsafe ad,if I went to buy a house,and it was covered in that stuff I wouldnt want it, as would wonder what kind of bogans were living in the area!!

Ah yes, Jeff the weight loss guy. I think he lost most of his weight off his top lip. He does have a really convincing speaking voice though. :rofl:

The other one I hate is Martin the shouter off the Bam ads. (Where's the emoticon with a gun when you need it.)

Kim67 Mar 18th 2011 3:44 am

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt (Post 9241348)
The ad that really winds me up is the annoying pull up pants one for the lazy kids that cant be arsed to go to the toilet and would rather wet / shit themselves !

STOP POTTY TIME !!!! :curse:

Still not sure if it is a girl or boy in the ad ???

Nicky

It's not "stop potty time", it's STOP - Potty Time. It's pull up padded undie type nappies that they can feel the wetness through and it's supposed to encourage them to go to the loo, rather than do it in their nappy. Listen to the words next time it comes on and you'll see that it's the exact opposite of what you think.