Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Time to mow the lawn

Time to mow the lawn

Old Jun 3rd 2013, 1:59 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Time to mow the lawn

and don't be rude

Didn't bring any of the gardening stuff with me so need to buy new. Only have fairly small front and back gardens - so small electric or small petrol?

Any other good advice before I start too (other than make the young spark do it )
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 2:03 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time to mow the lawn

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
and don't be rude

Didn't bring any of the gardening stuff with me so need to buy new. Only have fairly small front and back gardens - so small electric or small petrol?

Any other good advice before I start too (other than make the young spark do it )
Get a Honda, don't get any of the cheap lawnmowers for sale at Bunnings.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

and don't be rude

We bought a petrol one and it was fine.However it was big and clumsy.We have since bought a small push one from bunnings.Its a flymo one.Its great.Does the job and even I am allowed to use it.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 2:11 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishbloo
We bought a petrol one and it was fine.However it was big and clumsy.We have since bought a small push one from bunnings.Its a flymo one.Its great.Does the job and even I am allowed to use it.
I ended up sending a Flymo out from the UK to here, when sending some other stuff. A proper hover type one, which here are silly money and there are cheap - it ended up being cheaper even with the shipping costs. Given the ground isn't even, it makes much more sense than the overpriced stuff they push here.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 3:07 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the tips

Do I need to worry about spiders at all when mowing, or clearing up?
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 3:59 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Do I need to worry about spiders at all when mowing, or clearing up?
No you dont...

BUT if you stand still for too long you might have to worry about ants biting you.

...and if you have leopard trees anywhere near your lawn you'll need shinpads to mow the lawn.

...and no matter how nice it looks you can NEVER walk barefoot on the lawn - prickly 'bindi' weeds will HURT you badly.

....and after a while you'll wish you didnt have any lawn whatsoever
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by DadAgain
No you dont...

BUT if you stand still for too long you might have to worry about ants biting you.

...and if you have leopard trees anywhere near your lawn you'll need shinpads to mow the lawn.

...and no matter how nice it looks you can NEVER walk barefoot on the lawn - prickly 'bindi' weeds will HURT you badly.

....and after a while you'll wish you didnt have any lawn whatsoever
Thanks for that - made me giggle
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Get a flymo - we got a petrol one and it is too heavy (honest) for me to use on our hilly lawns. OH got a battery powered strimmer which I use around the back garden as it has tiny terraced patches. The only problem is the vibrations make my hands swell up and hurt a lot for days after I use it. (MS and arthritis.)

OH mows the lawns about once every 6 weeks, whether they need it more frequently or not.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Get a flymo - we got a petrol one and it is too heavy (honest) for me to use on our hilly lawns. OH got a battery powered strimmer which I use around the back garden as it has tiny terraced patches. The only problem is the vibrations make my hands swell up and hurt a lot for days after I use it. (MS and arthritis.)

OH mows the lawns about once every 6 weeks, whether they need it more frequently or not.
I bought a little electric one - but will have to go back for a longer extension lead

Got a little strimmer too for edging and around the trees - oh and a lighter bank balance
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 8:55 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

and don't be rude

- I did exactly that!

Now, where's PP?
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 9:01 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a little electric one - but will have to go back for a longer extension lead
Make sure you've got a good RCD. It's only a matter of time before you mow the power cable.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by renth
Make sure you've got a good RCD. It's only a matter of time before you mow the power cable.
Good thinking Batman
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
- I did exactly that!

Now, where's PP?
Should imagine you weren't the only one
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 9:12 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

and don't be rude

Don't know if its available there, but I bought a craftsman with a briggs and stratton motor 9 years ago, no maintenance, starts on the first pull everytime. 6.5 horsepower... Never understood that rating, how can this little mower engine be as strong as 6 horses Or maybe 6 horses and a pony.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth

Are there bad RCD's?

Petrol for me. Freedom!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.