Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Thyroid Thread - Part Deux

Thyroid Thread - Part Deux

Old Mar 2nd 2011, 10:38 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thyroid Thread - Part Deux

Originally Posted by donna
Didnt realise this thread is still going strong.
Hi Tiddly,any thoughts on this,currently have whooping cough and reg dr tested thyroid and its TSH 0.2 (0.40-4.00)
FT$ 20 (10-20)
Am still on my NTH meds but have not been taking the as regulary as i should,but i had taken them on the morning of the test.
Thx
Donna x
Borderline hyper, but you must take the meds regularly, they take a few days to even out and give steady results, so the results you got are almost certainly skewed by the lack of meds. The problem is that our doc will alter dosage on the basis of those results, so you should come clean about not taking them as you should. (for interest I worked in a Path Lab doing and reporting thyroid test for many years, so am talking from knowledge)
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 10:40 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daunted
Thanks Tiddly.
Yes I have the results here they read:

Free T4 12 pmol/L (9 - 19)
TSH 0.97 mU/L (0.40 - 4.00)

There is nothing about T3 so i presume that wasn't tested.

As far as I know there is no history of Thyroid problems in the family but I will be asking the question when I call my Mum tomorrow.
I didn't mean to belittle anyone suffering by saying that I hope the results are positive, it's just that if they say something isn't right at least there is a cause to me feeling so terrible all the time.

I have to make appointment to see doc in the week and I just wanted a bit of inside knowledge before I go see them and you seem to be very well informed on the topic
results are within the reference ranges, so would be classed as normal, for a true hyperthyroid you would expect a TSH of less than 0.1 untreated.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 7:44 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikelincs
results are within the reference ranges, so would be classed as normal, for a true hyperthyroid you would expect a TSH of less than 0.1 untreated.
Hi Mike, thanks for your input. However, results can still be 'within range' and the subject can still be sick, so please be careful if you're giving advice. One person's well certainly isn't another person's well, even if the numbers add up, as some doctors and all thyroid patients know! Given daunted's family history and symptoms, her lab tests are merely an indicator of what's going on and without the FT3, it's impossible to know. Only her doctor will be able to help her get to the bottom of it.

Last edited by TiddlyPom; Mar 2nd 2011 at 7:47 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 7:46 pm

Didnt realise this thread is still going strong.
Hi Tiddly,any thoughts on this,currently have whooping cough and reg dr tested thyroid and its TSH 0.2 (0.40-4.00)
FT$ 20 (10-20)
Am still on my NTH meds but have not been taking the as regulary as i should,but i had taken them on the morning of the test.
Thx
Donna x
Hey hon. Part of your NTH will actually hang out in your system for about 7+ weeks so it's important that you take them every day. Your FT4 is top of the scale there... are you feeling ok?
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 7:56 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

It's because of doctors who rely soley on blood tests and "normal" ranges that so many of us suffer for so many years, and end up on threads such as this.

Hello everyone I've been reading with interest but Tiddly is the expert so I left it to her.

I've got yet another new doc Moving to the South Side meant Asquith's just not feasible but, after one false start, I've found a woman round the corner from my office. She took one look at the bloods from my original diagnosis and was gobsmacked that anybody, let alone an endocrinologist, could deny I have an autoimmune thyroid problem.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Seasider
It's because of doctors who rely soley on blood tests and "normal" ranges that so many of us suffer for so many years, and end up on threads such as this.

Hello everyone I've been reading with interest but Tiddly is the expert so I left it to her.

I've got yet another new doc Moving to the South Side meant Asquith's just not feasible but, after one false start, I've found a woman round the corner from my office. She took one look at the bloods from my original diagnosis and was gobsmacked that anybody, let alone an endocrinologist, could deny I have an autoimmune thyroid problem.
I'm only an expert on 'me' ... but thanks. x

Glad your new doc is on the ball... sounding good.

Has anyone here gone to a naturopath in Aus as well as a conventional doc? I was thinking of trying one out to see if there was anything I could improve on...
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Hey hon. Part of your NTH will actually hang out in your system for about 7+ weeks so it's important that you take them every day. Your FT4 is top of the scale there... are you feeling ok?
im usually underactive,so i dont know whats going on there!
Hard to tell really Tiddly cos ive been ill with this whooping cough and run down for a few weeks now.Am tired and lethargic most of the time still, but havent had the hairloss and a lot of the other symptoms i usually have with hypo.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

I'm only an expert on 'me' ... but thanks. x

Glad your new doc is on the ball... sounding good.

Has anyone here gone to a naturopath in Aus as well as a conventional doc? I was thinking of trying one out to see if there was anything I could improve on...
i went to one a few years back and i felt great whilst i was being soo strict,but i had to cut out soo many bloody good things i was bound to.I couldnt live my life being so restrictive.Now the one i see is a naturopath with conventional training as well .
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 3:20 am

im usually underactive,so i dont know whats going on there!
Hard to tell really Tiddly cos ive been ill with this whooping cough and run down for a few weeks now.Am tired and lethargic most of the time still, but havent had the hairloss and a lot of the other symptoms i usually have with hypo.
Donna, with your FT4 that high in the range, I'd be wondering if you're not swinging a little hypo instead? Seems odd... but I'd be looking at what your FT3 is to get the total picture. Did your doc test that?

i went to one a few years back and i felt great whilst i was being soo strict,but i had to cut out soo many bloody good things i was bound to.I couldnt live my life being so restrictive.Now the one i see is a naturopath with conventional training as well .
Ok, well I might give it a shot, thanks. Not planning on giving up coffee or wine though but the rest I can live without. Saying that, I feel pretty bloody good and have lost 3kg recently and continue to lose so... if it ain't broke....
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 3:33 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

I have found an endocrinologist that I am really pleased with on Brisbane's Southside. He seemed very on the ball when I saw him which was a relief after being messed about by quite a few GP's regarding my underactive thyroid. If anyone would like his details, pm me and I'll be happy to pass them on.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by brissybee
I have found an endocrinologist that I am really pleased with on Brisbane's Southside. He seemed very on the ball when I saw him which was a relief after being messed about by quite a few GP's regarding my underactive thyroid. If anyone would like his details, pm me and I'll be happy to pass them on.
Thanks! Sounds good. Nice to find someone who takes you seriously, eh?! : )
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 7:18 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Try: http://www.wholisticmedicalcentre.co...rs_deborah.htm

I started seeing a GP at that clinic but found she wouldn't prescribe what I wanted, bit too straight down the line. Deb however has an uncanny knack of "knowing" things.

Last edited by Kooky.; Mar 3rd 2011 at 7:18 am. Reason: buts and bits confusion
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Is there anyone else on the thread who has had a total thyroidectomy for cancer?
I just don't know how I should be feeling!
I had two surgeries within 6 days, 3 months ago & had radioactive iodine treatment a few weeks ago. I got the all clear after that which is great.
My thyroxine levels are being run high to suppress the TSH & apparently my blood results are great.
Yet I feel so tired & low. I don't know if my expectations of myself are too high or if I am having symptoms of hyperthyroidism. I wish I could be having the 'run around very active' or the 'weight loss' symptoms if nothing else! Is it usual after surgery to have fluctuations, even when I have no thyroid left?
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson
Is there anyone else on the thread who has had a total thyroidectomy for cancer?
I just don't know how I should be feeling!
I had two surgeries within 6 days, 3 months ago & had radioactive iodine treatment a few weeks ago. I got the all clear after that which is great.
My thyroxine levels are being run high to suppress the TSH & apparently my blood results are great.
Yet I feel so tired & low. I don't know if my expectations of myself are too high or if I am having symptoms of hyperthyroidism. I wish I could be having the 'run around very active' or the 'weight loss' symptoms if nothing else! Is it usual after surgery to have fluctuations, even when I have no thyroid left?
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Mrs Jackaroo is your lady. I shall summon her for you.

: )
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 12:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs Jackaroo is your lady. I shall summon her for you.

: )
Thanks TP. Really could use some advice/reassurance right now x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.