Reload this Page >

Thousands of Boat people coming

Wikiposts

Thousands of Boat people coming

Old Apr 20th 2009, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

cool_archie is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: Thousands of Boat people coming

I hope the AUS government does not make AUS the same S*&T as the UK in terms of illegal immigration.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thousands of Boat people coming

Originally Posted by cool_archie
I hope the AUS government does not make AUS the same S*&T as the UK in terms of illegal immigration.

Got to admit I hope Australia really cracks down on Illegal migration. Conversely I'd like to see Australia establish a refugee program, that is a shining example to the rest of the world.

Illegal Migrants are in my view, people that overstay visas and enter Australia by other means for financial reasons. Like a UK person I know of, that got deported last fortnight for overstaying his Visa by at least 14 months..... Now thats a queue jumper.

Refugees are people that cannot live safely in their own countries.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Apr 20th 2009 at 5:04 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mohogony
While skilled and qualified migrants from the UK are being rejected because of the recession it looks like thousands of illegal boat people are set to get a warm welcome from Rudd and a new life downunder. l wonder if Rudd relaxing Howards tough boat people laws is to blame?

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...64-661,00.html
GOOD. These people are far more deserving than most economic migrants.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Got to admit I hope Australia really cracks down on Illegal migration. Conversely I'd like to see Australia establish a refugee program, that is a shining example to the rest of the world.

Illegal Migrants are in my view, people that overstay visas and enter Australia by other means for financial reasons. Like a UK person I know off, that got deported last fortnight for overstaying his Visa by at least 14 months..... Now thats a queue jumper.

Refugees are people that cannot live safely in their own countries.
I believe that UK citizens make up the bulk of visa over-stayers in Australia. I don't see many people kicking up a fuss about that!
Old Apr 20th 2009, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Devlin
I believe that UK citizens make up the bulk of visa over-stayers in Australia. I don't see many people kicking up a fuss about that!
Yes and they are the real queue jumpers. They probably dont upset the Aussies en-masse to the tune that the population kicks up a big fuss about it.... which goes to show how welcome most UK people are in Australia.

It should upset Prospective UK migrants, more than anyone though.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Apr 20th 2009 at 5:03 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 5:08 pm
ABCDiamond

UK = 4,200 out of 48,500, ie: about 8.6% of the total.

Overstayers are people who have entered Australia with valid papers, but whose visas have subsequently expired.

According to DIMIA, the majority of people who overstay their visa are simply extending a short stay in Australia by a few days or weeks and leave of their own accord. Others overstay in the hope of living and working in Australia.

At 30 June 2008, The number of visa overstayers in Australia was estimated to be around 48,500.
The largest number of overstayers were from :
  • United States of America (approximately 4900),
  • Peoples Republic of China (approximately 4900),
  • United Kingdom (approximately 4200)
  • Malaysia (approximately 3200).
To a certain extent, this ranking reflects the fact that many of these countries are also the source of the biggest numbers of arrivals to Australia.

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/02key_1.htm

At 30 June 2002, Australia’s stock of overstayers was estimated at 60,000 people. Approximately 19% had overstayed their visa by less than a year and a further 14% had overstayed by between one and two years, whereas 27% had overstayed their visa by 10 years or more.

Old Apr 20th 2009, 5:12 pm
ABCDiamond

Yes and they are the real queue jumpers. .
I disagree with that, as they do not actually affect the numbers of others from being issued with entry visa's.

Once found, the vast majority are also sent back.
They are also unable to claim any benefits, unless they are able to falsify documents to prove residency.

Old Apr 20th 2009, 5:25 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

I knew two overstayers from when I was on the WHV. One had enough of living wondering when he would get caught and the other was caught. Both were banned for a number of years. The former was working for Centrelink!
Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I disagree with that, as they do not actually affect the numbers of others from being issued with entry visa's.

Once found, the vast majority are also sent back.
They are also unable to claim any benefits, unless they are able to falsify documents to prove residency.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 5:45 pm
ABCDiamond

This bit of information did surprise me....

The largest age group of overstayers are 41-50 years of age.

I just expected it would be the younger ones, but then I was thinking in terms of some of the British backpackers who sometimes "extend" their visits.

Old Apr 20th 2009, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
This bit of information did surprise me....

The largest age group of overstayers are 41-50 years of age.

I just expected it would be the younger ones, but then I was thinking in terms of some of the British backpackers who sometimes "extend" their visits.
Perhaps the older overstayers may have more assets and ties here? I've always wondered why people from Europe and the US overstay here. Don't they realise they have to pass emigration on the way out and it'll be noted if they have overstayed?
Old Apr 20th 2009, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
Where do poor refuguees get $100,000 to pay the people smugglers, l wonder how many are middle class PAkistanis pretending to be Afghanies. Rudd probably already had a fleet of buses ready to drive them to Centrelink to collect their $1,000 bous stimulus payments each the dole and a how to vote labor card.
Still possibly cheaper in relative terms for the Australian tax payer than in the decades of the ten pound poms.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

stewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to all

Melbourne is already twinned with Birmingham ,so whats another 20,000 stans to us
Old Apr 20th 2009, 7:02 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Thousands of Boat people coming

You're right, we should kick up more of a fuss than we do. However: (a) we know that the UK citizens will be going home again, (b) they're not costing us anything because they're not entitled to welfare, and (c) they're contributing to the economy while they're here.

So they really are the least of our worries.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 7:08 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Thousands of Boat people coming

All Muslims as far as I know, do not need a Visa to enter a Muslim country, such as Indonesia.
Not true. Muslims travelling to Muslim countries cannot enter without a valid visa, just like the rest of us.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 7:37 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by IvanM
Have you ever been to Moss Side
I went to school there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.