Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Thousands of Boat people coming

Thousands of Boat people coming

Old Apr 20th 2009, 10:11 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold
Default Thousands of Boat people coming

While skilled and qualified migrants from the UK are being rejected because of the recession it looks like thousands of illegal boat people are set to get a warm welcome from Rudd and a new life downunder. l wonder if Rudd relaxing Howards tough boat people laws is to blame?

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...64-661,00.html

Last edited by mohogony; Apr 20th 2009 at 10:14 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 10:28 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Thousands of Boat people coming

Originally Posted by mohogony
While skilled and qualified migrants from the UK are being rejected because of the recession it looks like thousands of illegal boat people are set to get a warm welcome from Rudd and a new life downunder.
Oh really? You alread know how the government will judge their cases? Remarkable!

l wonder if Rudd relaxing Howards tough boat people laws is to blame?

I doubt it. The Labour government is currently rejecting asylum appeals at a greater rate than the Howard administration.

They might be processing more of them onshore, but they're also sending them back at a faster rate. Not exactly a drawcard for your average illegal, is it?
Old Apr 20th 2009, 11:11 pm
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thousands of Boat people coming

While skilled and qualified migrants from the UK are being rejected because of the recession it looks like thousands of illegal boat people are set to get a warm welcome from Rudd and a new life downunder. l wonder if Rudd relaxing Howards tough boat people laws is to blame?

British expats are not fleeing from a war torn country though are they.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 11:13 pm
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Put yourself in their shoes (if they have any) they're DESPERATE in the true meaning of the word. When your way of life comes under threat you might empathise.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 11:15 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

While skilled and qualified migrants from the UK are being rejected because of the recession it looks like thousands of illegal boat people are set to get a warm welcome from Rudd and a new life downunder.
Howard's gone (), get over it.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

Yet another thread where people express a presumed 'greater entitlement'. Is it a white european thing ( I confess..I am a WASP)?
Old Apr 21st 2009, 2:25 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
British expats are not fleeing from a war torn country though are they.
Have you ever been to Moss Side
Old Apr 21st 2009, 2:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

None of that article concerning numbers of refugees is based on fact. It's all supposition and media hype. As for Rudd giving them a warm welcome - says who? Have you asked him? Does he know this is what he's going to do? Arguing about facts is interesting, arguing about make believe seems kind of pointless.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 2:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

You do read quality papers don't you?Worse than that you appear to believe it.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I don't see it as being that different to 'Thousands of plane people coming' myself. I'd say that I had a reasonably warm welcome from Howard to come and from Rudd to stay
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:17 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Where do poor refuguees get $100,000 to pay the people smugglers, l wonder how many are middle class PAkistanis pretending to be Afghanies. Rudd probably already had a fleet of buses ready to drive them to Centrelink to collect their $1,000 bous stimulus payments each the dole and a how to vote labor card.

Last edited by mohogony; Apr 21st 2009 at 3:22 am.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I believe they will come whoever is in power as things are so bad in their countries and now with the downturn as well third world countries are hit worse than the west. So a lot of economic migrants will be on the move as well.
To get to the people smugglers in the first place they have to have funds.

In comparison to Europe the amount we get is very small. They seem to be mostly male and they get put in detention centres sometimes for years.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:24 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

I hear it is more like 10 to 20k. Quite often the whole family will sell all their possessions and gold to get this together. In other cases the families are placed into slavery on arrival. The worst such abuses are sex slaves forced to work as prostitutes to pay the money back. The problem is that the gang masters add on so much interest as to make pay back impossible.

In which Murdoch paper did you read about the bus?
Where do poor refuguees get $100,000 to pay the people smugglers, l wonder how many are middle class PAkistanis pretending to be Afghanies. Rudd probably already had a fleet of buses ready to drive them to Centrelink to collect their $1,000 bous stimulus payments each and the dole.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I thought that most people being smuggled had to work off their debt, rather than an upfront payment.

To be fair though I read an article written by a Pakistani complaining how a bomb had gone off in the market outside where he worked - so he was wanting to leave the country. Can't say that I would want to hang around somewhere like that. Suppose too that it would screw the economy up of the country - the middle classes doing a runner
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
I thought that most people being smuggled had to work off their debt, rather than an upfront payment.

To be fair though I read an article written by a Pakistani complaining how a bomb had gone off in the market outside where he worked - so he was wanting to leave the country. Can't say that I would want to hang around somewhere like that. Suppose too that it would screw the economy up of the country - the middle classes doing a runner
Just in case people reading this thread dont realise. All Muslims as far as I know, do not need a Visa to enter a Muslim country, such as Indonesia. Which is why Indonesia is a staging point for Middle Eastern Refugees to Australia.

Personally I feel if they are desperate enough to brave a dangerous boat journey from Indonesia towards Australia, after apparently risking everything to come here. Then if they do get as far as the Migration services, then they deserve to get a fair hearing.

As for importing terrorism.... dont make me laugh, anyone that believes that there is more threat from refugees than home grown terrorists is an Idiot.

Queue jumping maybe, their desperation negates that issue in my eyes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.