Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Think going barefoot is wrong?

Think going barefoot is wrong?

Old May 13th 2008, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

Rastis will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Think going barefoot is wrong?

Originally Posted by Seasider
This is where Asians have it right - you leave your shoes outside the door. Of course this works best in places they're not guaranteed to get nicked.
Its a misconception that bare feet will keep your carpet clean, infact the natural oils and sweat from your feet (no matter how clean you think they are) penetrate the fibres helping dust, dirt, dustmites, pollens etc. to stick to the pile thus making your carpet dirtier.
Old May 13th 2008, 3:07 am
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

on my travels around australia in quite a few areas the kids don't have to wear shoes at school as the aboriginal kids don't wear them so the rule is for all. my kids loved it not having to wear shoes.
there is also a bit of sensory stuff for people too, not wearing shoes can be very difficult for some people and it is upbringing too.
Old May 13th 2008, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry Nu Shooz, didn't mean to sound bitchy. I actually find it all quite amusing, but I do recognise that my own unwillingness to let my kids go into town shoeless is from my upbringing. My kids don't get my logic at all.
Old May 13th 2008, 5:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
This is a very interesting readfor those that slag off the locals for walking around barefoot.

"The researchers concluded that, prior to the invention of shoes, people had healthier feet."

"“Natural gait is biomechanically impossible for any shoe-wearing person,” wrote Dr. William A. Rossi in a 1999 article in Podiatry Management. “It took 4 million years to develop our unique human foot and our consequent distinctive form of gait, a remarkable feat of bioengineering. Yet, in only a few thousand years, and with one carelessly designed instrument, our shoes, we have warped the pure anatomical form of human gait, obstructing its engineering efficiency, afflicting it with strains and stresses and denying it its natural grace of form and ease of movement head to foot.” In other words: Feet good. Shoes bad."

http://www.printthis.clickability.co...artnerID=73272
I haven't read all posts what with work getting in the way of 'real' life, but my OH swears by these:

http://www.swissmasai.com.au/Default.aspx?lang=en-AU

Shoes that are good for your feet and posture, masai technology, improves core strength . . . blah, blah, blah. If you let her she'll go on ad infinitum.
Old May 13th 2008, 5:26 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
I haven't read all posts what with work getting in the way of 'real' life, but my OH swears by these:

http://www.swissmasai.com.au/Default.aspx?lang=en-AU

Shoes that are good for your feet and posture, masai technology, improves core strength . . . blah, blah, blah. If you let her she'll go on ad infinitum.
and ad nauseum?
Old May 13th 2008, 5:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
and ad nauseum?

ad ituptoereeum.
Old May 13th 2008, 5:55 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Think going barefoot is wrong?

This is where Asians have it right - you leave your shoes outside the door. Of course this works best in places they're not guaranteed to get nicked.
They wear "house slippers" when indoors, so their feet aren't actually bare.
Old May 13th 2008, 6:15 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
They wear "house slippers" when indoors, so their feet aren't actually bare.
In most houses in Singapore I have visited, they are definitely bare. Admittedly, Asia is a big place and different cultures do different things.

spartacus - those are the MBTs I mentioned above (and were pictured on the original link), that my osteopath says are a waste of money.
Old May 13th 2008, 6:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus - those are the MBTs I mentioned above (and were pictured on the original link), that my osteopath says are a waste of money.
Thanks Seasider, just scimmed the original link. Sounds about right:

'In an obvious irony, these “barefoot” shoes look like orthopedic shoes for Frankenstein.'

I'll use that one on the OH when she slip her's on. Although, for my sins, I must admit to being an avid 'Croc' wearer:

http://www.shoesoftheday.com/wp-cont...blue_crocs.jpg
Old May 13th 2008, 6:46 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Bleugh. Crocs. Wrong. Just wrong.
Old May 13th 2008, 6:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bleugh. Crocs. Wrong. Just wrong.

But how can something so wrong just feel so right?
Old May 13th 2008, 7:05 am
Auntie Fa

If you like a bit of rubber, mate, who am I to knock you? :P