Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Things your grandparents used to say.

Things your grandparents used to say.

Old Nov 10th 2012, 9:58 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things your grandparents used to say.

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
"He's as thick in the heid as a bottla shite"

I don't remember anything my GP said. I was young when they died. I do however, vividly recall the smells. Papa was Condor pipe tobacco, which I used to rub for him (he used to buy the flakes rather than ready rubbed), and Mackeson Stout. The small cans which he used to let me slurp the froth off. Nana smelled of Pond's Cold Cream and Lily of the Valley
Old Nov 10th 2012, 10:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

My grandad died when I was 5, but I remember he used to tell me that it was bad manners to drink with my nose in the cup My mum used to get so cross when I spilt drinks trying to keep my nose clear of my mug!
Many years later I used the same line with my nephew and nieces, much to their frustration and annoyance

Gran (on the other side of the family) used to say "Coming on black over Bill's mother's...." whenever a storm was coming, which apparently is not a term I can use when issuing Queensland storm warnings
She also used to say "Uncle Tom Cobbly and all" frequently. Used that one at work here a few years back, when the boss kept adding people to a list for a meeting. I turned round to a colleague and said "he'll be wanting me to invite Uncle Tom Cobbly and all in a minute....." Said colleague spent the next 15 minutes searching government directories for "Thomas Cobbly" before admitting defeat and asking me to explain
Old Nov 10th 2012, 1:26 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Dad's mum just used to say to me and my sister 'get up out of that chair, your brother needs it.' First grandchild and a boy to boot, what more could she want?
Old Nov 10th 2012, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

My mother (had me late in life so perhaps more a GP age) used to tell me off for drinking with a teaspoon in my cup.
"you will have ginger twins'.

My Asian H would wonder what i had been up to had that come true!!!
Old Nov 10th 2012, 11:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

My gran used to say eat your crusts you will get curly hair. She knew i hated having straight hair lol.
Sit on the kerb edge will give you piles.
Her best one that still makes me chuckle, ladies wear skirts that do not show next weeks washing. (she hated mini skirts with a passion).
She would have a field day in Darwin as may young lass wear belts not skirts lol
Mandy
Old Nov 11th 2012, 11:24 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I remember going with my Granny to some place and she asked the man if he had any old Coe-inns. He didn't know what she meant and neither did I!!

Turns out she was looking for old coins. I still remember it vividly, even though it was 30 years ago
Old Nov 11th 2012, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

My granny often says 'don't get high on your own supply'. She should really take her own advice.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 11:31 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

my granny used to check us over before going out and say don't put the goods in the shop window unless you are selling

and there's nothing a good steak sandwich can't solve
Old Nov 11th 2012, 11:57 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

My gran used to tell me my dad wasn't my dad. That the mother, her daughter had had an affair with our GP and he was my dad. She hadn't and he wasn't. Kind of bizarre.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, a story my Granny used to tell us was that John Wayne was our sixth cousin. No-one ever had any idea why she'd tell us that or even go to the bother to disprove it. Perhaps it's true...
Old Nov 12th 2012, 1:37 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

I remember being over my friend's house when we were kids and her Grandparents lived in the same house as them. My mate was getting told off for leaving the front door open and when my mate said "I thought I'd shut it" her Grandmother said, "Well you know what thought thought don't you. Thought thought he fell off his bike so he got off to have a look."

We were only about 10 but I can remember her saying it so clearly!
Old Nov 12th 2012, 2:36 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
My gran used to tell me my dad wasn't my dad. That the mother, her daughter had had an affair with our GP and he was my dad. She hadn't and he wasn't. Kind of bizarre.
I'm glad it's not just me who had grandparents who didn't come equipped with pithy sayings!

My Grandma was completely out of her tree who ran through all her grandchildren's names to get to me (at the time I was the only girl) and always had a perfect circle of dark red rouge on her perfectly plastered er.. powdered face. She thought a perfectly nourishing snack was a slice of bread, slathered with stork margarine and dipped in the sugar bowl. If Grandad had been lucky on the horses, she'd add a sliced banana to it all.

My Grandad (whom I adored - well, I loved my Grandma but I was really a full on Grandad's girl) taught me to swim by chucking me in the swimming baths and shouting 'kick your legs!' (He was a swimming instructor too, I don't somehow think that's how he taught real pupils) and also taught me how to put on a bet at the bookies.

My Gran seemed to exist in a world of genteel poverty. I'm not quite sure how she managed the genteel bit in a council house!

My Grandad Fred died when I was 7 - but Len Goodman always reminds me of him. Although he didn't shout 'SevEN!' at any given moment.

Anyway, none of them ever said anything remotely memorable!
Old Nov 12th 2012, 3:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I'm glad it's not just me who had grandparents who didn't come equipped with pithy sayings!

My Grandma was completely out of her tree who ran through all her grandchildren's names to get to me (at the time I was the only girl) and always had a perfect circle of dark red rouge on her perfectly plastered er.. powdered face. She thought a perfectly nourishing snack was a slice of bread, slathered with stork margarine and dipped in the sugar bowl. If Grandad had been lucky on the horses, she'd add a sliced banana to it all.

My Grandad (whom I adored - well, I loved my Grandma but I was really a full on Grandad's girl) taught me to swim by chucking me in the swimming baths and shouting 'kick your legs!' (He was a swimming instructor too, I don't somehow think that's how he taught real pupils) and also taught me how to put on a bet at the bookies.

My Gran seemed to exist in a world of genteel poverty. I'm not quite sure how she managed the genteel bit in a council house!

My Grandad Fred died when I was 7 - but Len Goodman always reminds me of him. Although he didn't shout 'SevEN!' at any given moment.

Anyway, none of them ever said anything remotely memorable!
Judging by my comments my childhood was a nightmare but it actually wasn't. I thought I was normal and well adjusted and my family were normal. It's only looking back I see that actually it's freaking awesome that I'm not a complete fruit loop.

We were talking about the family the other day and Tiddler said it was strange to be the youngest of the grandchildren whilst also being the most hated. I was in the process of saying something like 'no one hates you' (as you do) when I thought a bit more and realised she was right. FB then agreed she was. It's not that she's hated, more that the Mother prefers all the others more than her. It's a bloody good job she takes after me and realises they are all ****wits.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 4:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

"If the wind changes you'll get stuck like it."- and that was when I wasn't pulling a face!!
Old Nov 12th 2012, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Just remembered... 'The devil take the hindmost'

I think it meant that I should get a move on and stop messing about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.