Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Things we take for granted

Things we take for granted

Old Dec 13th 2005, 11:13 pm
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things we take for granted

Now that we are in Aus, i realise now that i took an awful lot of things for granted when we lived in the UK, my family for one, now that Christmas is approaching, I'm really missing them also the good ole NHS, we are spending a fortune on dental bills, the kids getting free dental treatment is a real miss. i also miss those crisp frosty mornings you got (when it wasn't raining) leaving for work in the morning and breathing in crisp fresh air, just now here is hot hairdryer air

oh and not to forget, m&s ready meals, miss them like crazy, especially the lasagna
Old Dec 14th 2005, 2:05 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ

One thing I have realised that I take for granted in the UK, is our close proximity to some 'fantastic' European countries!

I have only visited a handful but am starting to realise how difficult it will be to visit the ones I really want to see once we get to OZ....
That is very true, and something that occured to us before we left the UK too, so we spent the last six months in UK visiting places in Europe that we'd never seen before and probably won't see again for a very long time.

Though having said that, if I managed to live in the UK for 30 odd years and never visit these places before, I assume I can live in Oz for 30 odd years and never visit them either!!
Old Dec 14th 2005, 2:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
The kids go out in all weathers too (whether they like it or not)! My sister, on the other hand, moans like hell when its raining and insists on spending £15 a go on taking them to those indoor play areas! what a rip off! We do loads of mountain biking, presently the boys are going through a bike a year due to wear and tear plus height growth. they'd like new bikes for xmas, but not sure what to do? Do we spend a lot of money in Halfords on adult bikes for them that they can grow into and we can take to aus, or do we pop to tesco's and grab some cheapy ones, then buy new in aus??? Oh I hate having to make adult decisions!
All weathers thats us, nearly finished the kids off this morning , got the bikes out early this morning, cycled to local pool, then read the council temp guage, it was 37 thats 100 degrees in the shade :scared:

Bikes are locked up at the pool rich can pick the bloody things up when he finishes work we took a taxi home to the safety of the airconditioner.
Old Dec 14th 2005, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

Unycorne is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by diddy
Eh? You or the Dog?
roflol i was wearing bikini and shorts while i was teaching the dog to swim in the sea haha
Old Dec 14th 2005, 10:58 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ
Off on a 'slight' tangent but trying to stay on topic..........

One thing I have realised that I take for granted in the UK, is our close proximity to some 'fantastic' European countries!

I have only visited a handful but am starting to realise how difficult it will be to visit the ones I really want to see once we get to OZ....

Spose I'll have to make do with Bali then

You are bang on the nail here mate! We are stuck here...can't get out unless you pay a fortune. We've travelled down south and up north...all the bloody same: just greener or sandier! We've been over east, now that's a bit more exciting.

Now Europe on the other hand, you could travel for two hours and be in a completely different cultural environment. We could just hop on the chunnel and be in a foreign country in no time and fairly cheaply. Take the tent, grab the kids off we trot!

When you can't do it, you realise how much you miss it. Never thought I'd say that I miss Spain/Greece/France etc but I do. Just the thought of sitting in a little Greek town's cobbled whitewashed street, jug of beer on the table, kleftika gone down a treat, all that's left to do is people watch! Heaven.