Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Things we take for granted

Things we take for granted

Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Unycorne is on a distinguished road
Default Things we take for granted

Im sitting here outside eating BBQ ribs and salad and daydreaming as you do......and you know when one thought leads to another and so on ?

Well this is my train of thought for the last few minutes.

We were walking down the beach this morning at about 9am at wellington point and i was swimming with my dog in the sea in shorts and a bikini top having a great time thinking what paradise i live in and had a huge smile on my face. My husband who was with me and obviously having the same thought, had the same silly smile as alot of you will understand and know what i am talking about........

I am sitting here thinking about this morning and saying to myself "it is amazing how quickly you adapt and your daily routine becomes - well daily....

My thoughts contined to......

I am sitting here outside eating, why didnt we do this in the UK ???? Was it the weather, the cold or drizzle and then it dawned on the that UK houses didnt have covered outdoor entertaining areas.

But why not ????

I mean OK so it was mega cold in the frost and snow but wouldnt you love to sit outside in the evening in your thermal PJs with a hot coco/coffee./tea watching your breath in the cold air and watch the stars (cause there were no clouds when it was that cold) and just relaxing - or in the summer organising that party with BBQ but having to cancel at the last minute because of the rain or drizzle............

I think my point is that when i lived in the UK, i wish i had a house that had an outdoor covered entertaining area, buy a couple of outdoor heaters and just enjoy it rain, hail or shine.

What else do we take for granted living in Oz or the UK? I think we can become pretty jaded about things and would love to know what other peoples thoughts are.

me
xxx
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things we take for granted

Originally Posted by Unycorne
Im sitting here outside eating BBQ ribs and salad and daydreaming as you do......and you know when one thought leads to another and so on ?

We were walking down the beach this morning at about 9am at wellington point and i was swimming with my dog in the sea in shorts and a bikini top having a great time thinking what paradise i live in and had a huge smile on my face. My husband who was with me and obviously having the same thought, had the same silly smile as alot of you will understand and know what i am talking about........

I am sitting here thinking about this morning and saying to myself "it is amazing how quickly you adapt and your daily routine becomes - well daily....

I am sitting here outside eating, why didnt we do this in the UK ???? Was it the weather, the cold or drizzle and then it dawned on the that UK houses didnt have covered outdoor entertaining areas.

But why not ????

I mean OK so it was mega cold in the frost and snow but wouldnt you love to sit outside in the evening in your thermal PJs with a hot coco/coffee./tea watching your breath in the cold air and watch the stars (cause there were no clouds when it was that cold) and just relaxing - or in the summer organising that party with BBQ but having to cancel at the last minute because of the rain or drizzle............

I think my point is that when i lived in the UK, i wish i had a house that had an outdoor covered entertaining area, buy a couple of outdoor heaters and just enjoy it rain, hail or shine.

What else do we take for granted living in Oz or the UK? I think we can become pretty jaded about things and would love to know what other peoples thoughts are.

me
xxx

you appreciate the UK more once you've been away. I was amazed at what I'd taken forgranted! We've also tried to have a little bit of aus here in the UK. We have an undercover alfresco area, with decking and patio heating and its made a huge difference.

In the evening, we get the patio heater going and sit outside with a glass of wine, listening to Norah Jones and gazing up at the stars.

Its truely amazing and so peaceful.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 9:35 am
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

Probably not relevant, but i take my husband for granted. He's lovely, but for gods sake dont tell him i told you or he might start slacking
Old Dec 12th 2005, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linda Lushardi
Probably not relevant, but i take my husband for granted. He's lovely, but for gods sake dont tell him i told you or he might start slacking
secrets safe with us Linda! I have one of those husbands too, plus 3 very good children that do far too much for me! I also take my job forgranted as I love it and I love the people I work with! Can't believe I'm giving it all up
Old Dec 12th 2005, 9:56 am

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Unycorne

But why not ????

me
xxx
I had my late breakie outside today (I have a rostered day off), coat on, cuppa and toast - great, it is a lovely day. The cat went wild in the dead leaves, had a ball

We are in our garden whenever it is bright (cold/hot or otherwise) though NEVER see any of our neighbours here in the UK I think we inhertited this trait from Oz.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 12:14 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by merlotsmum
I had my late breakie outside today (I have a rostered day off), coat on, cuppa and toast - great, it is a lovely day. The cat went wild in the dead leaves, had a ball

We are in our garden whenever it is bright (cold/hot or otherwise) though NEVER see any of our neighbours here in the UK I think we inhertited this trait from Oz.

I probably take my neighbours for granted, I have great neighbours and will miss them dreadfully
Old Dec 12th 2005, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Margaret2
I probably take my neighbours for granted, I have great neighbours and will miss them dreadfully
Awwww it is lovely to have good Neighbours . . . feel a song coming on

I have just re-read my post and what I meant to say is that all that surround us live in their little tiny boxes, even on beautiful summer mornings, we are up and around and the neighbours sit indoors I want to shout "Get your butts outside and enjoy the day"!!!!!

Darn poms
Old Dec 12th 2005, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Awwww it is lovely to have good Neighbours . . . feel a song coming on

I have just re-read my post and what I meant to say is that all that surround us live in their little tiny boxes, even on beautiful summer mornings, we are up and around and the neighbours sit indoors I want to shout "Get your butts outside and enjoy the day"!!!!!

Darn poms
strange isn't it that we've always been outside people? I can't understand it as its beautiful around here, even on a grey day! I love going for a bike ride in the morning down by the river with all the mist and early morning dew/fog/rain!

There are a few people out walking their dogs, but literally just one or two. What a waste of a gorgeous country hey?
Old Dec 12th 2005, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to take my life for granted....and so maybe wasted what I had to an extent.....not made the most of it..

Then 3 years ago I nearly died.......it turned out to be life-affirming...and made me get my arse into gear - I worked hard, applied for my visa....and now live my life to the full.....and will never take it for granted again.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
I used to take my life for granted....and so maybe wasted what I had to an extent.....not made the most of it..

Then 3 years ago I nearly died.......it turned out to be life-affirming...and made me get my arse into gear - I worked hard, applied for my visa....and now live my life to the full.....and will never take it for granted again.
hear hear!
Old Dec 12th 2005, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by glittababe
strange isn't it that we've always been outside people? I can't understand it as its beautiful around here, even on a grey day! I love going for a bike ride in the morning down by the river with all the mist and early morning dew/fog/rain!

There are a few people out walking their dogs, but literally just one or two. What a waste of a gorgeous country hey?
Same here, just been for a lovely walk, it not that cold, stunning blue skies and not many to be seen - mind the poor sods are all at work

Though even weekends, you see them piling into Retail Parks for the DAY! and it is a perfect day for a walk in the park or a game of footy

Last edited by merlotsmum; Dec 12th 2005 at 12:28 pm. Reason: My spelling is right off today!
Old Dec 12th 2005, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by carolinegorka

Well said Caroline
Old Dec 12th 2005, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like the ones who love the outdoors have lived in Oz before. I lived in Oz for a while some years ago and even tho' Nick hasn't we both love outdoor life. In the summer I'm outside from 5am having brekkie on the deck to 11pm - Not too keen on the rain but cold days with bright blue skies like today are wonderful. In fact I've just been doing a bit of gardening this morning.

Not a normal pom
Old Dec 12th 2005, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by suzy
Sounds like the ones who love the outdoors have lived in Oz before. I lived in Oz for a while some years ago and even tho' Nick hasn't we both love outdoor life. In the summer I'm outside from 5am having brekkie on the deck to 11pm - Not too keen on the rain but cold days with bright blue skies like today are wonderful. In fact I've just been doing a bit of gardening this morning.

Not a normal pom
Glad I am not alone with being out and about.

Here's to us not so normal POMMYS!
Old Dec 12th 2005, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad I am not alone with being out and about.

Here's to us not so normal POMMYS!
Don't think I'm a 'normal' Pom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.