Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Things to do on Gold Coast

Things to do on Gold Coast

Old Mar 5th 2012, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Things to do on Gold Coast

We are heading up there next week for a few days, hubby has to crank up the K's on his car. What is there to do apart from the Theme parks and Beaches. Would like to go scenic, waterfalls, national park walks etc but not to rough or hard work. Havent booked anything as yet, staying with a rellie in bell bird somewhere or other and want to do Aus Zoo again as I loved that. Location isn't set in stone so any local info greatly received.

Jo
Old Mar 5th 2012, 8:09 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things to do on Gold Coast

The GC Hinterland is well worth a look, around Tamborine, Canungra, Natural Bridge etc.
Australia Zoo is overrated and expensive and is also on the Sunshine Coast
Old Mar 5th 2012, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
The GC Hinterland is well worth a look, around Tamborine, Canungra, Natural Bridge etc.
Australia Zoo is overrated and expensive and is also on the Sunshine Coast
Lol I am not quite familiar with the areas I know that the Zoo is about 1.30 hrs away but I loved it last time we went. We dont mind travelling.

Jo
Old Mar 5th 2012, 8:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You can get very wet. You can also experience 95% humidity. It's relatively unusual normally. Actually the sun is supposed to shine from Monday onwards so you may be ok.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 8:59 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Well if they have forecast it to be sunny it's fair to say it will be raining all week
Old Mar 5th 2012, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Thats why we havent booked yet. Planning to meet up with Soapy too. Havent seen him since he lived in Sydney lol.

Jo
Old Mar 5th 2012, 10:24 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

I really like Currumbin Bird Sanctuary for a day out.

If you're looking for more green, I agree with those who recommend the hinterland.

Enjoy.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 10:41 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joho
We are heading up there next week for a few days, hubby has to crank up the K's on his car. What is there to do apart from the Theme parks and Beaches. Would like to go scenic, waterfalls, national park walks etc but not to rough or hard work. Havent booked anything as yet, staying with a rellie in bell bird somewhere or other and want to do Aus Zoo again as I loved that. Location isn't set in stone so any local info greatly received.

Jo
The scenery around Mount Warning is great to my eyes, you can climb it too ... one day I'll add it to Ben Nevis and Snowdon (modest but personally satisfying achievements ).

Springbrook is also a nice spot.

Enjoy!

(edit) There are also highly-regarded walks from O'Rielly's, one day I'll check them out too.

(edit edit) I know you don't want beaches but the coastal walk from around Biggera Waters down towards Surfers is nice especially if it's hot inland. You can extend it out to the end of The Spit past Seaworld if you are feeling energetic. I love that stroll, it's flat and the sea air is awesome.

Plenty of spots in Southport to refuel too.

Last edited by DeadVim; Mar 5th 2012 at 10:52 am.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DeadVim
The scenery around Mount Warning is great to my eyes, you can climb it too ... one day I'll add it to Ben Nevis and Snowdon (modest but personally satisfying achievements ).

Springbrook is also a nice spot.

Enjoy!

(edit) There are also highly-regarded walks from O'Rielly's, one day I'll check them out too.

(edit edit) I know you don't want beaches but the coastal walk from around Biggera Waters down towards Surfers is nice especially if it's hot inland. You can extend it out to the end of The Spit past Seaworld if you are feeling energetic. I love that stroll, it's flat and the sea air is awesome.

Plenty of spots in Southport to refuel too.
Thanks guys will check them out, if the rain ever stops sigh...
Old Mar 6th 2012, 5:00 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joho

Jo
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/gold-coa...ainforest.html

have fun
Old Mar 6th 2012, 5:22 am
Emeritus Senior Minister

Paul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by steve`o
Steve, these are great. Which one is the easiest to go? I am rather lazy and going with a toddler, so easy drive and easy walk is what I am looking for. Thanks a bunch!
Old Mar 6th 2012, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

deedee_b will become famous soon enoughdeedee_b will become famous soon enough

I loved walking around Tamborine, but be careful we followed a random path and it had been raining so we had to wade a bit through water up to our knees.... Burleigh is nice, if you want a small walk, there's a kind look out at the top, and nice patches of grass for picnicing. Rainbow bay is also pretty. Busy on weekends for parking though. And they are further south. enjoy your trip.