Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

There must be other who are ambivalent to the whole Aus V Uk thing?

There must be other who are ambivalent to the whole Aus V Uk thing?

Old Mar 6th 2009, 1:59 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default There must be other who are ambivalent to the whole Aus V Uk thing?

As an "old" poster it makes me laugh...

The posters who love it here so much they see the need to bang on about all things Aussie being great and fab and sunny blah blah and jump in and defend Aus all the time. (and frankly its as annoying as rubbing hands on carpet)

Then there's those who go on and on about how crap, uncultured, backward, uncouth, hot, cold, dry it all is and bag Aus all the time (and frankly I wish they'd go back home where they'd just be happier)

Then there's those who go on about balance and you just know they are gonna wade in with some sarky/ super positive comment to "make the forum more balanced" and maybe, for good measure, back it up with a bit of spelling/ punctuation pickyness that maybe makes them feel superior.

Does anyone else just feel like me? There are things about Aus that I don't like and yes, its ok to voice them from time to time, but lifes too short to keep harping on and on....
There are also lots of thinks I still miss from blighty and thats ok to, but I don't feel the need to keep going on and on day in day out.

Obviously I know everyones different, and I can understand newbies having that shell shocked feeling, but people that have been around for ages? Why the need? Its not a dig, its a genuine question (not aimed at anyone particular) as to what happens day to day to make you so happy or so positive day in day out, for years and years...
Old Mar 6th 2009, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: There must be other who are ambivalent to the whole Aus V Uk thing?

One poster told me I should go back to the UK cause I missed Imperial Leather Foamburst
Old Mar 6th 2009, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

I love australia but i miss primark and tk maxx!
Old Mar 6th 2009, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I agree my happiness is from day to day depending on what is going on around me personally and nothing to do with things or where I think people just like to "make sure they are happy" and "make sure they are unhappy" and that others are like them
Old Mar 6th 2009, 2:35 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs

The posters who love it here so much they see the need to bang on about all things Aussie being great and fab and sunny blah blah and jump in and defend Aus all the time. (and frankly its as annoying as rubbing hands on carpet)

Then there's those who go on and on about how crap, uncultured, backward, uncouth, hot, cold, dry it all is and bag Aus all the time (and frankly I wish they'd go back home where they'd just be happier)

Then there's those who go on about balance and you just know they are gonna wade in with some sarky/ super positive comment to "make the forum more balanced" and maybe, for good measure, back it up with a bit of spelling/ punctuation pickyness that maybe makes them feel superior.

Does anyone else just feel like me? There are things about Aus that I don't like and yes, its ok to voice them from time to time, but lifes too short to keep harping on and on....
There are also lots of thinks I still miss from blighty and thats ok to, but I don't feel the need to keep going on and on day in day out.

Obviously I know everyones different, and I can understand newbies having that shell shocked feeling, but people that have been around for ages? Why the need? Its not a dig, its a genuine question (not aimed at anyone particular) as to what happens day to day to make you so happy or so positive day in day out, for years and years...
I feel the same. I do find it hard to keep it zipped though with some of the more negative posters. It isn't necessarily that they dislike living here that grates so much it is the superior attitude that goes with it. Those that like living here must be a group of uneducated, uncultured f**kwits to enjoy living in Australia.

Forgot about Imperial Leather Foamburst, that was the one that was a bit like shaving gel wasn't it. I liked that.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 2:37 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

I feel ambivalent as I know that both Australia and UK are great places, each with their own negatives.

I do enjoy reading the posts of others who are vehemently committed to the cause, one way or the other. It's certainly more entertaining than Australian TV! Though it can become very dull and repetitive.

Generally I'm a positive person, glass half full type. So I tend to empathise a little more with those in the happy brigade.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 2:40 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that Imperial leather stuff was great, forgot all about it.

I dislike the "Australia's crap" thing as much as I dislike the "UK's crap" thing.

Though somewhat worse are those immigrants who feel obliged to pretend to be Australian.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 2:43 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I do find it hard to keep it zipped though with some of the more negative posters. It isn't necessarily that they dislike living here that grates so much it is the superior attitude that goes with it. Those that like living here must be a group of uneducated, uncultured f**kwits to enjoy living in Australia.
I don't enjoy reading those kind of posts either. But this is the good thing about the internet - you get to converse with people that you would normally never talk to in real life. You get to appreciate the huge variety of attitudes and outlooks people hold on life in general.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 2:44 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jayr
Wow, that Imperial leather stuff was great, forgot all about it.

I dislike the "Australia's crap" thing as much as I dislike the "UK's crap" thing.

Though somewhat worse are those immigrants who feel obliged to pretend to be Australian.
Fair dinkum cobber.

You are ridgy-didge.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 2:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. I am entirely unambivalent about having virtually no opinion on what or where is good or better or best.

Australian tele is guff - fact.

The rest of the stuff is entirely subjective, and as such deserves no analysis.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 2:58 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Crow
One poster told me I should go back to the UK cause I missed Imperial Leather Foamburst
I think you should go to. You wouldn't want to be accused of being a stinky pom
Old Mar 6th 2009, 2:59 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by northernbird
Those that like living here must be a group of uneducated, uncultured f**kwits to enjoy living in Australia.

Yeah, they say that about you
Old Mar 6th 2009, 3:04 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by jayr
In what way J? I love Aussie rules and even have membership.......
Old Mar 6th 2009, 3:04 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

In what way J? I love Aussie rules and even have membership.......
That's the start
Old Mar 6th 2009, 3:05 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by spartacus
Agreed. I am entirely unambivalent about having virtually no opinion on what or where is good or better or best.

Australian tele is guff - fact.

The rest of the stuff is entirely subjective, and as such deserves no analysis.

I am actually enjoyng the TV...am I becoming assimilated?!
Maybe another thread for another day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.