Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

BE Then and now...a celebration of the migration boom..and death

BE Then and now...a celebration of the migration boom..and death

Old Oct 31st 2015, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default BE Then and now...a celebration of the migration boom..and death

Let's celebrate the better part of 10+ years of migration to Australia..from the heady days of 3 dollars to the pound...to basically, a distinct lack of interest (and posts) on the Barbie..

Then

New estates
Perf
Days out at Hillaries
Dolphins
Rottnest
Kitchen tile splashbacks
Sunsets4x2 (not a bit of wood, a house)
Jetskis
BBQs
The lovely wildlife (but the nasties still scare the bejesus out of many)
Tv sets that only work through a set-top box
There was one BE Australian forum
Which jetski or 4x4?
"England is going to the Dogs"
PommieBastard
MikeStanton
Ceri
Dotty and her eventual replacement, (providing continuity) Jad n Rich (on ya darling!)
PeteY

The Middle Ages

The Culture Wars led by the Generals, Hutch and Grayling
A decay in numbers, new posters.
Essex girl FeeFlyFoMum and 'culture'
A few single angry men, on crusades(what was that particular poster called - gee he was angry?)
Lessons in Economics 101 by Swans, MrBarlow and resident 'experts'
House prices

Now

A new prospective migrant is a rarity (Why?!)
A slow decline in numbers of migrants, post-GFC, poor exchange rates, rising Australian house prices
Less Aus vs UK, save a few rear-guard sniping, insurgent actions led by Grayling : (throws grenade and runs off)
The attempts of Beoz, big-debate (but watch out for the lefties!) Zulu (and old stalwart OzTennis in a comeback role) and futurist GarryP to keep debate alive...yet oh! still abrasive
And me...I've always been here, bemused but fascinated by the antics of the British migrant...Cheers

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Oct 31st 2015 at 12:29 am.
Old Oct 31st 2015, 12:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BE Then and now...a celebration of the migration boom..and death

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Let's celebrate the better part of 10+ years of migration to Australia..from the heady days of 3 dollars to the pound...to basically, a distinct lack of interest (and posts) on the Barbie..ThenNew estatesPerfDays out at HillariesDolphinsRottnestKitchen tile splashbacksSunsets4x2 (not a bit of wood, a house)JetskisBBQsThe lovely wildlife (but the nasties still scare the bejesus out of many)Tv sets that only work through a set-top boxThere was one BE Australian forumWhich jetski or 4x4?"England is going to the Dogs"PommieBastardMikeStantonCeriDotty and her eventual replacement, (providing continuity) Jad n Rich (on ya darling!)PeteYThe Middle AgesThe Culture Wars led by the Generals, Hutch and GraylingA decay in numbers, new posters.Essex girl FeeFlyFoMum and 'culture'A few single angry men, on crusades(what was that particular poster called - gee he was angry?)Lessons in Economics 101 by Swans, MrBarlow and resident 'experts'House pricesNowA new prospective migrant is a rarity (Why?!)A slow decline in numbers of migrants, post-GFC, poor exchange rates, rising Australian house pricesLess Aus vs UK, save a few rear-guard sniping, insurgent actions led by Grayling : (throws grenade and runs off)The attempts of Beoz, big-debate (but watch out for the lefties!) Zulu (and old stalwart OzTennis in a comeback role) and futurist GarryP to keep debate alive...yet oh! still abrasiveAnd me...I've always been here, bemused but fascinated by the antics of the British migrant...Cheers
Took me a while to fix, cheers

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Oct 31st 2015 at 12:30 am.
Old Oct 31st 2015, 9:24 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

You forgot the price of lettuce and bananas
Old Oct 31st 2015, 10:43 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
You forgot the price of lettuce and bananas
You must never forget the price of Bananas..
Old Oct 31st 2015, 11:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Took me a while to fix, cheers
Check BEVS announcement at the top of the forum, gives you the fix

Why so few prospective migrants? More expensive to apply (visa is charged per person now not per family) -all other costs have gone up too. Less differential between living costs in Aus and the UK. And our Immi forum is particularly quiet cos we lost most of the prospective Brit migrants when we had an invasion for the Indian subcontinent who tried to make it just a timeline forum.
Other forums are more active on the immigration front these days, I have to admit.
Old Oct 31st 2015, 11:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Especially at the start of the cyclone season
Old Oct 31st 2015, 12:34 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe there's just been so much good info given on BE over the years that can easily be searched for, people just don't have as many questions?

Nothing wrong with seeing the glass half full, ya know.
Old Oct 31st 2015, 12:45 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
There was a time when my now four year old didn't know what a banana was. Over 15 bucks a kilo. Tough times.
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
There was a time when my now four year old didn't know what a banana was. Over 15 bucks a kilo. Tough times.
As a parent I never thought I'd hear myself say, why don't you have a chocolate bar instead of a bunch of bananas - they were my youngest's fav fruit. Cost over $19 where we were in rural SA.

Mind you, I've been caught out by grapes in more recent times
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 1:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Check BEVS announcement at the top of the forum, gives you the fix Why so few prospective migrants? More expensive to apply (visa is charged per person now not per family) -all other costs have gone up too. Less differential between living costs in Aus and the UK. And our Immi forum is particularly quiet cos we lost most of the prospective Brit migrants when we had an invasion for the Indian subcontinent who tried to make it just a timeline forum. Other forums are more active on the immigration front these days, I have to admit.
Forgot about the immigration forum.
(BEVS fix did not work, the option won't stick in my user settings)
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

A few single angry men, on crusades(what was that particular poster called - gee he was angry?)...
Ooh, got me thinking and it won't come !!!!
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 9:04 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jothefw
As a parent I never thought I'd hear myself say, why don't you have a chocolate bar instead of a bunch of bananas - they were my youngest's fav fruit. Cost over $19 where we were in rural SA.

Mind you, I've been caught out by grapes in more recent times
Back then I used to buy those banana sweets and say sorry kids that's all we can afford. But nice to see bananas so cheap lately: Just $1.50 a kilo

The only grapes around here right now are imported ones. I'd rather wait until they're in season here in Aus.

...It'll be cherry season soon. And looking forward to having genuine fresh apples again too
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Back then I used to buy those banana sweets and say sorry kids that's all we can afford. But nice to see bananas so cheap lately: Just $1.50 a kilo

The only grapes around here right now are imported ones. I'd rather wait until they're in season here in Aus.

...It'll be cherry season soon. And looking forward to having genuine fresh apples again too
They are $3 per kilo here. Any higher and I won't buy them.
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 9:11 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
They are $3 per kilo here. Any higher and I won't buy them.
Hope they're cheaper in the UK, only so that I can come here and show off
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 9:27 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Hope they're cheaper in the UK, only so that I can come here and show off
Bananas are always 68p/kilo in the UK...never changes!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.