The thankyou etc

Old Jan 31st 2009, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to all
Default The thankyou etc

Maybe its just me but i have really noticed that people dont say thankyou any more, you can stop to let people past and yeap nothing. Let people out at a junction yeap nothing again , crowds of kids barge past yeap nothing. It really gets to me why cant people just say thanks. What has happend to manners !!!!
Old Feb 1st 2009, 2:29 am

snow-white is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The thankyou etc

Originally Posted by suzyt
Maybe its just me but i have really noticed that people dont say thankyou any more, you can stop to let people past and yeap nothing. Let people out at a junction yeap nothing again , crowds of kids barge past yeap nothing. It really gets to me why cant people just say thanks. What has happend to manners !!!!
the biggest thing that annoys me is when you let someone pull out and they dont even wave thanks that drives me insane!!!!!
lesley x
Old Feb 1st 2009, 2:43 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Wait until you've driven around Brisbane a few times ...... There is no such thing as courtesy on the roads here and you just have to get used to it.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 4:29 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, I find it odd that no one waves a thanks in the car, but am getting used to it now...

I still wave at everyone.. when they see you wave they usually wave back! haha! they are a friendly bunch really around here, but the car culture takes some getting used too!

Em x
Old Feb 1st 2009, 4:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Most people in South Australia* will give you a wave or a nod if you let them out, or if you stop befor a junction so they can turn right into a street.

*Usual disclaimer - this is my opinion based on the past year of travelling approx 300 - 400k per week to various locations with work. This is mostly in the North of Adelaide, it may be different down south or even to the west and east.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute

What's happened to manners? I think some people are oblivious to the fact that there is such a thing. Is this parents fault for not encouraging it at home? Should it be encouraged in school? I think yes to both.If parents don't use them at home and children learn by modelling their behaviour then they're not going to know any better are they. I was always taught that civility costs nothing and was encouraged to use manners or I got nothing!
Old Feb 1st 2009, 5:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
Wait until you've driven around Brisbane a few times ...... There is no such thing as courtesy on the roads here and you just have to get used to it.
Wait till you've travelled on Queensland Rail and a woman refuses to move her foot so you can get a pram past her. Really, literally, refused to move her foot. I had to pick up the pram, with baby in it and carry it over her foot. Too much effort for her to move her foot 3 inches:curse:. Sad, pathetic, but true.

JTL
Old Feb 1st 2009, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Wait till you've travelled on Queensland Rail and a woman refuses to move her foot so you can get a pram past her. Really, literally, refused to move her foot. I had to pick up the pram, with baby in it and carry it over her foot. Too much effort for her to move her foot 3 inches:curse:. Sad, pathetic, but true.

JTL

Driving over it wasn't an option? Not nice I suppose but some rude folk deserve it.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 5:18 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

JTL
You should have just rammed it.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 10:47 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

It does seem a peculiarly Australian thing. Birthday and Christmas gifts will often be accepted without even an acnowledgement, let alone a thank-you. Children seem to have no concept of a gift not being an entitlement.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 12:18 pm
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Where I live, we have polite drivers. They will let me out at junctions, roundabouts, etc, and allow me to join the 'standstill' flow of traffic, wave to say thanks and I do the same. School run...... can't say how it is out there with the 'bears', LOL!

I do take offence though that neither my Australian born niece and nephews, (16, 18, 21), nor their parents, (my OH brother and his wife, both UK born), acknowledge the fact that we have sent their children 'birthday money' in their cards. Up until now we have rung to say 'happy birthday', and had to ask if the cash had arrived safely. If we don't ring we don't know if the cash has been received. They would never consider ringing us to say thank you for the card.

More importantly, (to us) they do not send any 'birthday money' in our only child's birthday card, nor do they ring himto wish him a happy birthday.

So, $150 down each year for 4 years now, (plus all the years we exchanged GBP for AU$ prior to us moving here). I have included the last cash in their cards. I will however, put $150 in their card to our son, (if it arrives), and then 'post' his thank you to them, NOT!

For me, to be thanked for something I have done is lovely. I do what I do without expecting thanks, but still appreciate that it's only polite to say thank you.

I think that we have to bring our children up to be grateful for what they have or receive, and to have the good manners to say 'thank you'.

My son still writes thank you letters.

On a reducing scale, I get rid of those who have bad manners.

Acquaintances go first, friends, (?) go next, family next...........

Mxxx
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

JTL
On the bus in melbourne, we watched a woman holding a baby, and hanging onto a toddler stand all the way to the airport, we didnt have seats to offer her, but all those around her who did just stared at her or ignored her. People are so bloody rude here.

I cant stand the supermarkets, nobody says excuse me or thank you if you move out the way. Nothing to have a trolley rammed into you and the ignoramus just pushes past.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:48 pm
Banned

sprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant future

People sure wave thanks here and the courtesy is great but then I always show great courtesy myself so I guess it gets repaid
Old Feb 1st 2009, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Most people in South Australia* will give you a wave or a nod if you let them out, or if you stop befor a junction so they can turn right into a street.

Do we live in the same place??!! The worst drivers in the world here in my opinion, and rude!
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 1:04 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

We were in IKEA at the weekend, walking behind a couple of women on the way out the front door. An assistant from the till ran up to one of the women with something she had left on the belt at the till - 'Excuse me madam, I think you may have left this behind'. 'Yup', she says, snatches it and keeps going! :curse:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.