Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Terrorist threats in Dubai

Terrorist threats in Dubai

Old Jun 22nd 2008, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all
Default Terrorist threats in Dubai

A colleague of mine was planning to fly to Brisbane with Emirates, but has now told me she has cancelled her plans as her husband told her he had heard that there was to be a major terrorist attack on Dubai.

Has anyone else heard this? I'm a bit worried as my daughter and her husband are coming back to the UK for a visit in August and staying over in Dubai.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 5:18 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terrorist threats in Dubai

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda
A colleague of mine was planning to fly to Brisbane with Emirates, but has now told me she has cancelled her plans as her husband told her he had heard that there was to be a major terrorist attack on Dubai.

Has anyone else heard this? I'm a bit worried as my daughter and her husband are coming back to the UK for a visit in August and staying over in Dubai.
You gotta be kidding with this thread right? If you live your life by hearsay and gossip you would never leave the house. To change your plans because of hearsay is just plain daft. Unless your colleagues husband was either high up in the security services or indeed the said terrorist how could he possibly know anything at all. The UK is high risk for terrorists would you stop your daughter from coming back here to visit?

Seriously the whole planet is a potential terrorist threat does that stop anyone living their life? You just have to get on with things and live life to the full.

EDIT: Posting things on the internet about specific terrorist attacks which haven't happened yet is just plain stupid and could leave you open to investigation should the event occur

Last edited by perksy; Jun 22nd 2008 at 5:38 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

divaboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by perksy

EDIT: Posting things on the internet about specific terrorist attacks which haven't happened yet is just plain stupid and could leave you open to investigation should the event occur
Never really thought about it like that. But for sure , if there was any suggestion there was going to be terriost attack in dubai , that would no doubt be the safest place to be , due to sheer number of law enforcement people that would be there
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 6:13 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

A warning has already been given

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=543621

G
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 6:18 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by divaboy
Never really thought about it like that. But for sure , if there was any suggestion there was going to be terriost attack in dubai , that would no doubt be the safest place to be , due to sheer number of law enforcement people that would be there
It is surprising how people don't realise that what they post, can be seen by anyone anywhere in the world with internet access. Maybe I was a little harsh on the OP but I just thought it was a little naive to say the least.

As for Dubai being the safest place i'm not so sure. In the 9/11 attacks New York had its highest number of police on the streets its ever had. They wern't looking for terrorists though it was more to do with Mayor Guiliani's agressive policing tactics for ridding the city of crime
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

divaboy is an unknown quantity at this point

As for Dubai being the safest place i'm not so sure. In the 9/11 attacks New York had its highest number of police on the streets its ever had. They wern't looking for terrorists though it was more to do with Mayor Guiliani's agressive policing tactics for ridding the city of crime
My point , if the police had intel on a defin attack on a majour city , it would take one hell of a good attack to avoid the police actively looking for a attack of whatever sort

either way lets just hope nothing like 9/11 or the london bombing happens again anytime soon
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Why did you think this was naive? I was merely asking a reasonable question. You say it's naive, but then proceed to discuss it. I can't see the difference myself.

It is surprising how people don't realise that what they post, can be seen by anyone anywhere in the world with internet access. Maybe I was a little harsh on the OP but I just thought it was a little naive to say the least.

Old Jun 23rd 2008, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

vmax is an unknown quantity at this point

Why did you think this was naive? I was merely asking a reasonable question. You say it's naive, but then proceed to discuss it. I can't see the difference myself.

I wouldn't have said they tried to discuss this, more of a case of trying to educate you as your post was completely stupid.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Amrohvi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by vmax
I wouldn't have said they tried to discuss this, more of a case of trying to educate you as your post was completely stupid.
There is absolutely nothing stupid about this post. The person might have formulated it in a dramatic way, but it is real.
I myself wrote about this few days back.

Dubai is a neighbour to Saudi Arabia and many Afghans, Yemenites and other followers of the Wahabi School of though reside their.

The Saudis can enter UAE without a visa and since they are Arabs they can mingle quite well. The bastards managed to attack the US, what prevents them from attacking Dubai?

With the recent American agression in the Middle East, some Wahabis must have planned something in Dubai.

Its only about time.

I know this post is harsher than the orginal, but facts are out there. Though I agree with the other poster writing that one should enjoy life!

Amrohvi
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 11:01 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

My parents lived in Dubai/Bahrain for many years and this alert has gone out a few times and nothing came of it.

They were there when both gulf wars broke out and never encountered any problems.

Take care
Old Jun 24th 2008, 7:37 am
Just Joined

vmax is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amrohvi
There is absolutely nothing stupid about this post. The person might have formulated it in a dramatic way, but it is real.
I myself wrote about this few days back.

Dubai is a neighbour to Saudi Arabia and many Afghans, Yemenites and other followers of the Wahabi School of though reside their.

The Saudis can enter UAE without a visa and since they are Arabs they can mingle quite well. The bastards managed to attack the US, what prevents them from attacking Dubai?

With the recent American agression in the Middle East, some Wahabis must have planned something in Dubai.

Its only about time.

I know this post is harsher than the orginal, but facts are out there. Though I agree with the other poster writing that one should enjoy life!

Amrohvi

What does the thread starter want to have gained from posting their drivel. There have been bombs going off in London, Glasgow Airport, Madrid and many other places throughout the world.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Many thanks to all those who answered my query in a sensible way. As stated previously, I was merely trying to ascertain whether this was just a rumour or whether there was any substance to it. By following the link posted I was able to access the previous thread, which I had not seen, and by following this found that there was probably no substance to it. I have no intention of changing my life due to such threats, but have been able to put my daugher's mind at rest, so my post did in fact achieve something.

The fact that other people had posted on this subject shows that my post was not naive or indeed stupid. If the post had been inappropriate then I am sure the moderator would have deleted it.

I find this forum in the main very informative and most people are quite helpful. However, I feel that if people are unable to join in the discussion without being insulting then they should refrain from posting as I did not join this forum to be insulted by people who are obviously, ignorant, narrow-minded and ill-informed. Perhaps the moderators should be a bit more strict about allowing people to post insults on here.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 11:18 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

I find this forum in the main very informative and most people are quite helpful. However, I feel that if people are unable to join in the discussion without being insulting then they should refrain from posting as I did not join this forum to be insulted by people who are obviously, ignorant, narrow-minded and ill-informed. Perhaps the moderators should be a bit more strict about allowing people to post insults on here.
Well said, dont let the ignorant, arrogant rude people put you off. For every one of them there is many that are not.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 1:03 pm
Cad and bounder

I thought it was a naive post because your original post stated something along the lines of "my collegues husband says...." That to me is plain stupid. Should the event in which you spoke about occur and no formal warning (i.e from the government or embassies in that region) is given then not only to me but everyone else who reads that post (bear in mind everyone in the world with internet access can read what you post) may think you know more information than you care to let on.

To put it bluntly and in simpletons terms if I started a thread that next saturdays lotto numbers would be 1,2,3,4,5,6 then on saturday those numbers were drawn in that order would you not assume that I had inside info?

Just remember people from all aspects of life can access these forums (not just brits thinking of moving abroad). Theres even rumours that the boffins at GCHQ have filters on internet traffic so they can monitor whats being said.

As I said previously maybe I was harsh in addressing you but maybe you should have looked at the middle east pages of this forum first and then backed up your posting with official quotes or press release. Just remember the internet is a useful tool but you need to learn to use it properly
Old Jun 24th 2008, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Amrohvi is an unknown quantity at this point

END OF DISCUSSION! **)

Isnt the weather just great!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.