Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Tenants that are a pain in the @rse

Tenants that are a pain in the @rse

Old Mar 11th 2013, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tenants that are a pain in the @rse

Originally Posted by paulry
I did something like that with the current one. At first she wasn't happy to sign my huge list of differences to the list that she provided me with so I emailed it to her instead. She subsequently signed it on the first inspection.

So far so good, I haven't lost a cent out of the deposits of any of the three tenancies we've so far had here in Aus. The first two landlords were good but I'm not so sure about this latest one, but everything is covered so we are as safe as houses really. The tenants we've had in the UK so far have not been that good. The first one burnt our kitchen down, costing our insurers more than UKP20k to make right and the current one doesn't report anything wrong until things are beyond the state of uncostly repair. I'm not generally in favour of hiking up the rent but the only way I can manage this tenant's extra costs is by increasing their rent. In the house we're at I carry out minor zero or next-to-zero cost repairs myself and report anything that I notice that needs pre-emptive action to avoid greater downstream costs. As far as it goes with our tenants and landlords, all we can do really is to treat them well and hope they'll return the compliment.
If you have an agent managing the property often they are slack, in that they do not pass on the requests for tenants. My daughter has excellent landlords and their agent is good so things get done. A friend of hers has a stinker, they report stuff all the time and nothing gets done.

Good and bad, goes with the territory