Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Tenants that are a pain in the @rse

Tenants that are a pain in the @rse

Old Mar 4th 2013, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light
Default Tenants that are a pain in the @rse

New tenants have moved into our UK property and have complained that the downstairs radiators aren't heating up - Now I know that is because they need bleeding (the house has been empty for a couple of months) and a friend is going round there to bleed them and show the tenants how to do this.....
I'm worried that the new tenants could be a bit hopeless and also about a scurry of stupid requests from the managing agent ('The windows are a bit dirty - could we send round a glazier to fix them... etc)
The managing agent suggested sending a plumber around... But, as a tenant I wouldn't think twice about whipping out a radiator key and bleeding the radiators - am I some kind of DIY superhero, or am I expecting too much?
Where do I draw the line when people are taking the p1ss?
Old Mar 4th 2013, 10:36 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tenants that are a pain in the @rse

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
The managing agent suggested sending a plumber around... But, as a tenant I wouldn't think twice about whipping out a radiator key and bleeding the radiators - am I some kind of DIY superhero, or am I expecting too much?
The only problem I would have (as a tenant) with bleeding radiators myself is if the nut isn't tightened properly afterwards (perhaps there is some corrosion in the thread and bleeding through it exacerbates the issue, so it wasn't possible to properly do the job) and the consequent slow oozing of water causes not only damage to the walls behind the radiator and the carpet but potentially causes issues for the central heating system itself if too much water drains out, oh yes, and if the dodgy landlord has the pressure set too high and scalding hot water squirts out when I start to bleed, causing third degree burns.

Would you accept responsibility for all of the above as you're expecting the tenant to do DIY on your property?

You know that stupid tenants are generally handy with a solicitor
Old Mar 4th 2013, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Checking the heating system should have really been done before tenants moved in - it's part of maintaining the property. How is a tenant to know that the radiators need bleeding, it could be the heating system has broken. They may never have experienced that kind of heating system before (e.g. quite a few rentals have storage heaters).

I think you're presuming a lot over one issue that was raised when tenants moved into the property.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
I think you're presuming a lot over one issue that was raised when tenants moved into the property.
Hee Hee - I wish you could see the house I'm renting here - not been touched for 20 years, so far we have replaced all flyscreens, installed a door (to the lounge, landlord said we could have one only if we put one in), cleaned throughout, re-set the water tank to a sensible temp (was putting out scalding water) and hubby spent 2 days on flood prevention work in the garden.... I wish I could rent a property here with one minor problem......
I've just spent about $10K refurbishing my UK property - everything is brand new and recently fixed. Despite this we have had a request if the new tenants could 'paint over the kitchen tiles with tile paint' FFS. It's fully managed and I paid my agent megabucks to check everything on exit
I think I've been spoiled with previous tenants....
Old Mar 5th 2013, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

I've just spent about $10K refurbishing my UK property - everything is brand new and recently fixed. Despite this we have had a request if the new tenants could 'paint over the kitchen tiles with tile paint' FFS. It's fully managed and I paid my agent megabucks to check everything on exit
I think I've been spoiled with previous tenants....
If everything had been fixed and the rental agents had checked everything then I would get a plumber to go round but get the rental agents/whoever fixed everything to cough up for it.
And I would be extremely wary of giving them (the tenanats) the go-ahead to do anything in case they muck it up, or decide that they can then just take on any jobs they think they can do/need doing and your house ends up wrecked.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 9:48 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Pay for a plumber and ensure windows are clean on them leaving. Sell your home if you cannot take landlord responsibilities.
New tenants have moved into our UK property and have complained that the downstairs radiators aren't heating up - Now I know that is because they need bleeding (the house has been empty for a couple of months) and a friend is going round there to bleed them and show the tenants how to do this.....
I'm worried that the new tenants could be a bit hopeless and also about a scurry of stupid requests from the managing agent ('The windows are a bit dirty - could we send round a glazier to fix them... etc)
Old Mar 5th 2013, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Your tenants are paying you for a service. Get on with it and provide the service.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 4:20 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

As a tenant it doesn't matter if they are hopeless. As a renter you expect everything to be in working order and if it isn't then it should be sorted. Imagine how fed up you would be if they tried to fix it and it went tits up and you had to fork out a massive amount of money to fix it. You are the landlord, fix the problem as it's your responsibility.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 10:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't bleed a radiator if my life depended upon it. No it is your responsibility to take care of these things as landlord.

People often talk about the disadvantages of renting, not having to attend to DIY matter is one of the advantages. If my heating was not working, I will ring the management agent and I would expect it to be fixed. (And I do the same for my UK tenant).
Old Mar 6th 2013, 4:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I couldn't bleed a radiator if my life depended upon it. No it is your responsibility to take care of these things as landlord.

People often talk about the disadvantages of renting, not having to attend to DIY matter is one of the advantages. If my heating was not working, I will ring the management agent and I would expect it to be fixed. (And I do the same for my UK tenant).
I agree. I do next to nothing DIY around my house and that's the please of renting.

I've rented a lot of places in my time and when I first move into a place there's always a few bits and pieces that need a bit of attention. After all you are trying to turn what either the owners or previous tenants home was into yours.

That's not a bad thing for a landlord because if you have happy tenants then they will stay on for longer and treat the property with respect.

After the initial requests of getting this done and that done, it usually settles down as the new tenants settle into their home.

I think its a small upfront price for a landlord to pay for piece of mind
Old Mar 6th 2013, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Bermudashorts;10586093]I couldn't bleed a radiator if my life depended upon it. No it is your responsibility to take care of these things as landlord.
QUOTE]

Totally agree with this

Tenants should not be bleeding radiators FFS.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

My hubbie would be the first to whip out the radiator key and drain it, however he is a DIY superhero and knows what he is doing. In our rental before we bought the owners installed a gate over the drive to stop the random dogs we seemed to have running into our garden ( lived by a popular dog park ).

The guy installing the gate who was being paid by the owners was useless, hubbie ended up showing the guy what to do.

Having said that as a landlord it is your responsibilty and you cannot underestimate how somebody who doesn't have a clue about plumbing etc could stuff it up!
Old Mar 7th 2013, 2:36 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

I think you just need more Lube.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 3:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't seen hydronic heating since I was at school. Would I/Could I bleed is probably yes.... Then I read Dreamy's post and didn't realise all the issues. So probably not. I think the Scalding hot water is the main possible issue.... not that yours is probably set that high.

Having said that, seems strange that they would paint tiles, but not bleed a radiator. I reckon I'd much rather give the radiators a go than paint.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 5:29 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Kill them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.