ten pound poms

Old Mar 21st 2008, 7:25 pm
cavey wavey

ivorfatarse is just really niceivorfatarse is just really niceivorfatarse is just really niceivorfatarse is just really niceivorfatarse is just really niceivorfatarse is just really niceivorfatarse is just really niceivorfatarse is just really niceivorfatarse is just really nice
Default ten pound poms

Seen this programme advertised for the 31st march on the history channel should make interesting viewing.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 7:28 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ten pound poms

Is it the one on BBC2 recently? If it is I think it's worth watching.
J x
Old Mar 21st 2008, 7:30 pm
aka bunja

Off2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
Is it the one on BBC2 recently? If it is I think it's worth watching.
J x
Certainly sounds like it. I watched it on BBC2 recently and it was very interesting.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 7:33 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Off2Oz
Certainly sounds like it. I watched it on BBC2 recently and it was very interesting.
Found the recent thread about it too:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=10+pound+poms
Old Mar 21st 2008, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

CharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant future

This is the programme that set me & OH really thinking about our lives here and made us start looking seriously into making the move to OZ.
I have 2 aunties and uncles and a grandfather who went out on the £10 pom scheme and although my grandfather and an uncle are no longer with us, they were later joined by another aunt and uncle who have ended up in OZ after initially emigrating to New Zealand.

The programme gives an excellent range of experiences, it's not all rosy. One couple even ping ponged back!
Old Mar 21st 2008, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

flossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of light

bugger.......shame I missed it. My Uncle went out o Aus in the late 60's with his wife and kids. Tesco sent him out there 4 work. Them my Nan and Grandad went out as 10 pound poms. My auntie was 14 and my mum at the time was 18-she had met my dad at this point and dint want to go.

The last time I went out to aus in 2004-I had a good chat to my grandad. He said that originally he got told that there were seats left on the plane...then they got a call to say there were 3 seats from a cancellation for the next day-they took 'em and headed for sydney. He said it was real hard work and my nan found it hard with my mum still in the uk-although my nan had a sister out there in perth. My other uncle went out in the 70's.....and went by boat. My Grandad now lives with my uncle in perth. My uncle works at cottelsloe golf course. When my nan died-my grandad became an aussie citizen as he though that if he died and he was in the british army years ago-his body would end up back in the uk-and he wanted to be with my nan. So he went through the ceremony to finally become an aus at 86years of age!!! They were married for 64 years-so aussie life must have done some good!!!!

My mum is still in the uk-she has made attempts to emigrate-but has never quite made it. She is all for me going-which is nice.

It was intresting hearing my grandads story...my aunt got bullied at school for her pommie accent.

Sorry to bore the pants of you guys-thought some people may find this intresting!!!-I would have like to have seen the programme

x
Old Mar 21st 2008, 11:26 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ivorfatarse
Seen this programme advertised for the 31st march on the history channel should make interesting viewing.
Advertised for viewing in Aus or UK?
Old Mar 21st 2008, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

flossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of light

looking back on the threads-I think it must have been on in the uk
Old Mar 21st 2008, 11:30 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by flossie22
looking back on the threads-I think it must have been on in the uk
Thought the one on the 31st may have been for here. It has been on here but I missed it.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

thats a shame!!
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

Baltibabe is a jewel in the roughBaltibabe is a jewel in the roughBaltibabe is a jewel in the roughBaltibabe is a jewel in the roughBaltibabe is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by flossie22
bugger.......shame I missed it. My Uncle went out o Aus in the late 60's with his wife and kids. Tesco sent him out there 4 work. Them my Nan and Grandad went out as 10 pound poms. My auntie was 14 and my mum at the time was 18-she had met my dad at this point and dint want to go.

The last time I went out to aus in 2004-I had a good chat to my grandad. He said that originally he got told that there were seats left on the plane...then they got a call to say there were 3 seats from a cancellation for the next day-they took 'em and headed for sydney. He said it was real hard work and my nan found it hard with my mum still in the uk-although my nan had a sister out there in perth. My other uncle went out in the 70's.....and went by boat. My Grandad now lives with my uncle in perth. My uncle works at cottelsloe golf course. When my nan died-my grandad became an aussie citizen as he though that if he died and he was in the british army years ago-his body would end up back in the uk-and he wanted to be with my nan. So he went through the ceremony to finally become an aus at 86years of age!!! They were married for 64 years-so aussie life must have done some good!!!!

My mum is still in the uk-she has made attempts to emigrate-but has never quite made it. She is all for me going-which is nice.

It was intresting hearing my grandads story...my aunt got bullied at school for her pommie accent.

Sorry to bore the pants of you guys-thought some people may find this intresting!!!-I would have like to have seen the programme

x
not boring at all
keep those stories coming
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 8:51 am
cavey wavey

ivorfatarse is just really niceivorfatarse is just really niceivorfatarse is just really niceivorfatarse is just really niceivorfatarse is just really niceivorfatarse is just really niceivorfatarse is just really niceivorfatarse is just really niceivorfatarse is just really nice

Originally Posted by annqldau
Advertised for viewing in Aus or UK?
Sorry i never said, its for the uk totally missed it on bbc2 didn't even know it was on doh!
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 10:20 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hope they put it on here again. I missed it first time and wanted to see it.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 11:10 am

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

wish it was still a tenner to get over there!

and before anyone gets smart, yes i do mean without inflation and intrest rises
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 11:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
wish it was still a tenner to get over there!

and before anyone gets smart, yes i do mean without inflation and intrest rises
Then any old Tom, Dick or Harry would be trying to get in. Not that there's anything wrong with Toms, Dicks or Harrys of course

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.