Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Teenage Leaving Parties....aaagh!!!

Wikiposts

Teenage Leaving Parties....aaagh!!!

Old Jan 7th 2006, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teenage Leaving Parties....aaagh!!!

I will be in the same boat, as my oldest will be 17/18 when we leave and she has already requested her own party. I was thinking along the lines of having it in a licensed venue but stipulating that no one gets served without ID, so if you don't bring it or your under age you don't get served. Also the onus is not on you as it will be on the landlord/lady. Mind you at the age of 17/18 they are going to drink whether you like it or not so let them have a blast and deal with the hangover, they will soon learn. My daughter is very sensible so no worries there but can't comment for her mates some ok, some not.

What do you do for the best? Teenagers who would have em. Thank god its not my youngest all hell would let lose if she was a teenager. No worries with her party, crisps and pop. Thank god

Tracey
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DebraH
work out how much the party would cost -food, dj, hall and drink - them give them half the money and tell them to go and have a good time :scared:

I would be worried in case there were gate crashers and also in case one of them ended up paraletic. I wouldn't fancy having to explain to their parents why their son/daughter is in A&E. :scared:
Old Jan 8th 2006, 12:07 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

When our middle one was 16 she had a party at home. We arranged to go round to our friends next door so that we could eavesdrop at an easy distance. We had always let our kids try a drink of alcohol here and there under supervision but were aware that, while they were under our roof, other people's children would be our responsibility. The day of the party I emptied a bottle of vodka into a flask and refilled the bottle with water (unseen by daughter). With daughter in sight I made a huge vat of punch, and emptied the "vodka" into the punch saying "sshh, don't tell your dad" Word soon spread round the party that there was a whole bottle of vodka in the punch. The kids were all happy, carrying on as if they were drunk because they thought they had been drinking vodka, we were quite happy knowing full well that they had only been given water In fact, now I think about it I don't think I have yet confessed!

We then allowed all the boys to sleep outside in tents, while all the girls slept indoors and we kept the keys to the doors!

It has often been proclaimed the best party ever.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 1:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
When our middle one was 16 she had a party at home. We arranged to go round to our friends next door so that we could eavesdrop at an easy distance. We had always let our kids try a drink of alcohol here and there under supervision but were aware that, while they were under our roof, other people's children would be our responsibility. The day of the party I emptied a bottle of vodka into a flask and refilled the bottle with water (unseen by daughter). With daughter in sight I made a huge vat of punch, and emptied the "vodka" into the punch saying "sshh, don't tell your dad" Word soon spread round the party that there was a whole bottle of vodka in the punch. The kids were all happy, carrying on as if they were drunk because they thought they had been drinking vodka, we were quite happy knowing full well that they had only been given water In fact, now I think about it I don't think I have yet confessed!

We then allowed all the boys to sleep outside in tents, while all the girls slept indoors and we kept the keys to the doors!

Very clever tactics I've got to admit.

My oldest daughter (now 22, 23 in March) hasn't been much of a problem with parties etc, her freinds seem to be so alternative, that some of them have the morals from the Victorian era. Whilst they are talking about the way the adults have stuffed up the planet, and allowed dreadful things like seal culls, and let drugs destroy their minds and bodies. They kind of look disapprovingly at Mum and Dad wandering around with tinnies in their hands, very very disconcerting.

However Daughter no 2. (21 in March, and now residing in the UK) Has been a major social butterfly since she was about 11. 14 years old, is when all these party problems started with her. 16 years old is actually the worst age of the lot, Especally if they are as mature and socially skilled as Nyree was as that age. Having watched close freinds of ours go through a dreadful Experience with a 16 year old birthday (for a girl) They had about 60 Teenagers turn up, They were bonking in the street, throwing rocks through neighbours windows, Fighting. Cops turned up, things got stolen. One of the attendees even got so pissed that they ended up in hospital, with the parents threatening to sue, our freinds. It was everyones worst nightmare.

Nyree has even been to a 16 year old party over in Keilor, which got gatecrashed, by a ethnic group, that has been in the news lately. Which resulted in a house getting trashed, and people getting stabbed, and running battles in the street, with a hell of a lot of police attendance to that one, The police helicopter got called out that day.

So it was with much trepidadation, that we had Nyree's 16th here. We insisted that it be held totally outside, got a marquee, and a lot of finger food, Said to Nyree, Dont invite anyone that you think cannot handle their drink, and tell the parents that there will be alcohol here. That cut down some of the attendees, We lit up the inside of the house like a christmas tree, and kept the outside of the house relatively dark, Teenagers hate bright light. I also talk the precaution of inviting about 5 of my mates over, We stayed inside out of the way. When there was a hint of trouble, we had warned Nyree to come and tell us straight away. At a certain point she said to us, I want so and so chucked out, he is starting to get aggressive. Which was easy to do with the presence of, from what must have looked to them so quite burly blokes. All in all our one went smoothly.

Nyree at 18, had a joint birthday party, with a freind, About 300 people in attendance in a hall, We let her handle the whole lot, from invitations to the theme and style of the party. We paid for half of the Hall along with the other parent, and most of the food. Plus the bond, Which we said Nyree could keep if there were no incidents. She actually went as far as hiring security for the door. It was a lot more controlled and mature than a 16 year old party. My wife and I, nor the other parents or any other adult that I'm aware of attended that one. We had a seperate family get together. It all went smoothly, Well lets put it this way. I didn't hear anything negative about it and she got her bond money.

Best of luck, Hope I havn't put you off too much. Also and thinking about this subject in hindsight, I think the party will probably reflect a lot of the charactor of your child.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

That was a stroke of genius. I will do the same when Zeke is a teenager. Eek scary thought.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 10:28 am

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by KatieStar
That was a stroke of genius. I will do the same when Zeke is a teenager. Eek scary thought.
I have promised my youngest a party before he leaves. Because we live in a country suburb I have decided to hire a hall up at the next village so that we don't get gate crashers as it is only accessible by car
Old Jan 9th 2006, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

I have promised my youngest a party before he leaves. Because we live in a country suburb I have decided to hire a hall up at the next village so that we don't get gate crashers as it is only accessible by car
Sounds pretty remote, and as long as gate crashers can't drive you should be right.