Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Teen birthday party activity ideas... please!

Teen birthday party activity ideas... please!

Old Feb 12th 2012, 4:37 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Teen birthday party activity ideas... please!

Doing a 16th soon... am thinking pass the parcel just isn't going to work!

I would really love some help with ideas for activities to keep the not quite adults entertained please.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 4:42 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teen birthday party activity ideas... please!

Open bar ?
Old Feb 12th 2012, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

male/female/mixed group? at home or out and about? are they active?

Think the open bar will be for the adults
Old Feb 12th 2012, 5:03 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

This would involve you telling a horrible tale.The kids are blind folded.You tell horrible story about a ghastly murder or the perils of drug use or under age sex,what ever floats your boat.As you tell the story pass along a bowl with icky stuff in and invite them to rummage around.Example:Gouged out eyeballs could be a couple of peeled plums(not testicles) Heaving maggots, 'spaghetti' Vomit, a bowl of vegetable soup.The more gross the better.Let your imagination run amok.Warning some kids can freak out and throw the bowl in the air making a mess of the Axminster.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 5:10 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bikergirl
male/female/mixed group? at home or out and about? are they active?

Think the open bar will be for the adults
Yes, mixed... boys and girls.

Not sure how active they are. Kid wants to invite 70 as apparently a fair percentage doesn't show up.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 5:12 am
Not actually a squirrel

Originally Posted by ukecadet
This would involve you telling a horrible tale.The kids are blind folded.You tell horrible story about a ghastly murder or the perils of drug use or under age sex,what ever floats your boat.As you tell the story pass along a bowl with icky stuff in and invite them to rummage around.Example:Gouged out eyeballs could be a couple of peeled plums(not testicles) Heaving maggots, 'spaghetti' Vomit, a bowl of vegetable soup.The more gross the better.Let your imagination run amok.Warning some kids can freak out and throw the bowl in the air making a mess of the Axminster.
Quite like this idea... not sure I will be allowed to tell a story in front of friends, but could have a row of shoe boxes with "body parts" inside with a written horror story next to the boxes... dunno... will have to work on that.... thanks!
Old Feb 12th 2012, 6:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

First Born's 16th was on the beach. She wanted it at one beach, I said no, too much trouble happens there so suggested another one and she agreed. Left them at 11 next to a surf club, picked a crowd up at 8pm. They were all (generally speaking) sober, about 50 had rocked up and the Surf Rescue guys hadn't had to say anything to them all day. She had a ball and I didn't get stressed.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 8:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I can't imagine catering for 70- DD had 5 guests to her 16th, and it was a combination of pool party, filmfest, dancing on the wii fit, and a sleepover.
Had to ensure all the food was gluten and lactose free.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 8:54 am
Not actually a squirrel

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
I can't imagine catering for 70- DD had 5 guests to her 16th, and it was a combination of pool party, filmfest, dancing on the wii fit, and a sleepover.
Had to ensure all the food was gluten and lactose free.
Now that sounds like hard work!

We're planning bbq sausages on bread, bulk-buy lollies from cash and carry, punch, chips, and a few (affordable) other bits.

Also bought some very cool looking "Angel candles" for the cake on ebay last night. Apparently the flames glow assorted colours to match the candle body.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
Yes, mixed... boys and girls.

Not sure how active they are. Kid wants to invite 70 as apparently a fair percentage doesn't show up.
Errrm I think you'll find it's the other way around...

This will be your oldests by the sound of things ?

I've been surprised by how different how 3 girls were at that age. My youngest 16th was interesting in as much as it was suprisingly robust and energetic. Not much sitting around. I had to stop them chasing each other around and bashing burning sticks at one another... and I mean the Girls.. I think thats the only time I've had to intervene at a birthday party at my house. All of our parties were outside in the garden

Daughter no 2 (Nyz) lot spent most of their time trying to outdo each other in the posing and looks stakes.... Whereas Daughter no 1 spent their time chatting.

I've heard and seen some real horror stories around 16th birthdays... I personally reckon it's the worst age for Parties... as by 18 they got more awareness of what can go wrong. Girls I mean.

Nyree my middle daughter went to one that ended up in a full scale riot with the police helicopter being called in... Police vans and dogs and barricaded in a house to keep out a ethnic gang of about 50 kids... Two kids got stabbed that night and the house trashed. It was awful hearing her phone us for help to get her out of there. She ended up OK though.... the gang were after the boys. Twas in Keilor East here in Melbourne.

Have fun

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 12th 2012 at 10:53 am.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 10:51 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Advertise it on Facebook and see how many turn up

You will gets lots of nice policemen attending as well
Old Feb 12th 2012, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

We just do a barbie and pool party, with some music...they pretty much entertain themselves...

But dont ask how
Old Feb 14th 2012, 12:08 am
Not actually a squirrel

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Errrm I think you'll find it's the other way around...

This will be your oldests by the sound of things ?

I've been surprised by how different how 3 girls were at that age. My youngest 16th was interesting in as much as it was suprisingly robust and energetic. Not much sitting around. I had to stop them chasing each other around and bashing burning sticks at one another... and I mean the Girls.. I think thats the only time I've had to intervene at a birthday party at my house. All of our parties were outside in the garden

Daughter no 2 (Nyz) lot spent most of their time trying to outdo each other in the posing and looks stakes.... Whereas Daughter no 1 spent their time chatting.

I've heard and seen some real horror stories around 16th birthdays... I personally reckon it's the worst age for Parties... as by 18 they got more awareness of what can go wrong. Girls I mean.

Nyree my middle daughter went to one that ended up in a full scale riot with the police helicopter being called in... Police vans and dogs and barricaded in a house to keep out a ethnic gang of about 50 kids... Two kids got stabbed that night and the house trashed. It was awful hearing her phone us for help to get her out of there. She ended up OK though.... the gang were after the boys. Twas in Keilor East here in Melbourne.

Have fun
Er, thanks for that!

Have told kid we want to see her list of guests before she invites anyone. Should be mostly outside, but holding off on the new carpet just in case.

Will lock back gate and screen arrivals at the front door. No alcohol (except for we olds) so that will hopefully keep any unwanteds away.

Kid has friends of 6' 4" and we appreciate any Tom Foolery will have to be met with significant cowardice on our part. Was astounded to hear on radio today that bad outcomes at teen parties could see the adults charged with negligence! I mean wtf are we to do if the six foot plus brigade decide to do anything?

I am a little afraid now Ozzie. I think we need a stun gun.

Any other teen party activity tips welcome. (I think).

Last edited by brissybee; Feb 14th 2012 at 12:10 am. Reason: Name brain drain
Old Feb 14th 2012, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
Er, thanks for that!

Have told kid we want to see her list of guests before she invites anyone. Should be mostly outside, but holding off on the new carpet just in case.

Will lock back gate and screen arrivals at the front door. No alcohol (except for we olds) so that will hopefully keep any unwanteds away.

Kid has friends of 6' 4" and we appreciate any Tom Foolery will have to be met with significant cowardice on our part. Was astounded to hear on radio today that bad outcomes at teen parties could see the adults charged with negligence! I mean wtf are we to do if the six foot plus brigade decide to do anything?

I am a little afraid now Ozzie. I think we need a stun gun.

Any other teen party activity tips welcome. (I think).
Dont underestimate the threat of an agitated 15 YO boy... I honestly believe that this really is boys must unpredictable age. They may pose a greater threat when older... but older kids are certainly easier to reason with.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/tw...1212-6xnm.html

What I'm trying to get across is... there is no way I would invite more than 20 kids under the age of 18 to my house at the same time. If it become more than that I would cancel the party. Thats just me though.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 14th 2012 at 12:39 am.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 12:22 am
Not actually a squirrel

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Dont underestimate the threat of an agitated 15 YO boy... I honestly beleive that this really is boys must unpredictable age. They may pose a greater threat when older... but older kids are certainly easier to reason with.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/tw...1212-6xnm.html

What I'm trying to get across is... there is no way I would invite more than 20 kids under the age of 18 to my house at the same time. If it become more than that I would cancel the party. Thats just me though.
Must admit I'll be screening that guest list pretty closely. If I haven't met or heard (a reasonable amount) about them, they won't be coming.

Have to say, most of the friends I've met do seem really nice... but I will take on board your voice of experience. Kid doesn't think everyone would come, but you're right... if all 70 did turn up it could be really scary... thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.