Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Technology and your childhood

Technology and your childhood

Old Dec 12th 2012, 2:29 pm
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Technology and your childhood

Originally Posted by Cheetah7

I want one of those robo maid things for my living room but they are so expensive. Mr PP looked at it with suspicion and said 'thats lazy' - which is rich as its me that vacuums every day.
I've got one of those! It's lush
Old Dec 12th 2012, 7:42 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78
Typing at school then graduated to RSA Word Processing at adult training

I wonder how much easier our exams would have been if we had the technologies back then. I might have passed my Maths GCSE at least
I remember my parents refusing to allow me to learn typing at school when I was 14. They said I would never need to use a keyboard every day of my life I WISH I had fought my corner & learnt to touchtype, its one of my few regrets from school.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I remember my parents refusing to allow me to learn typing at school when I was 14. They said I would never need to use a keyboard every day of my life I WISH I had fought my corner & learnt to touchtype, its one of my few regrets from school.

I just talk to my PC these days and it does the typing for me.

Old Dec 12th 2012, 8:16 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a techie so I find all of it interesting.

I started coding on a ZX81 and have been marvelling at how things march forward ever since. It's paid my bills so can't complain about progress.

I agree that the evolution of the Internet is huge in so many ways and, yup, we are only at the beginning.

Then again I am the kind of person who still finds it amazing that you can hop into a tube with wings to fly great distances AND be given a choice of chicken or fish.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 8:56 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I'm a techie so I find all of it interesting.

I started coding on a ZX81 and have been marvelling at how things march forward ever since. It's paid my bills so can't complain about progress.

I agree that the evolution of the Internet is huge in so many ways and, yup, we are only at the beginning.

Then again I am the kind of person who still finds it amazing that you can hop into a tube with wings to fly great distances AND be given a choice of chicken or fish.
Do ya remember the magazines with the 8 billion lines of code for the ZX81 that you'd input and then all it did was flash 'you're a geek' (or similar)

I loved those

Our year was the first one to be offered computing at school - it wasn't timetabled, we had to do it in our lunchtimes on giant BBC computers. Our electronics teacher taught it, he was an ubergeek.

I think that set me on my way
Old Dec 12th 2012, 8:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I just talk to my PC these days and it does the typing for me.

Mine can't understand my accent - I had the same problem earlier with the telstra automated phone line thingy, it only speaks Aussie not English
Old Dec 12th 2012, 8:59 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

I remember when my Aunt and Uncle got PONG! Hours of fun.....
Old Dec 12th 2012, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

The first program I wrote was in Fortran IV and it ran on an IBM 360.

I have operated an old analogue computer to read 1 inch tapes.

We had the first Sinclair calculator, and then a ZX81 - with cassette recorder.

Pre-high tech I remember my parents getting a fridge, first TV (which broke down with amazing regularity), a phone (a party line), a car. First thing I bought was a transistor radio.

I have progressed from a box Brownie camera, to a Brownie 127, a 35 mm camera, a Zenith SLR, various Nikon SLRs, a 110, experimenting with the first little digital cameras then on to DSLRs.

I don't think I'm a technophobe.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 9:55 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I learned to type when I was 14, I can touch type roughly 80-90wpm and it is a skill I am glad that i have.

I have kept my shorthand books as well so I can brush up on that and I periodically do as well as that is a useful thing to know.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 10:07 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Do ya remember the magazines with the 8 billion lines of code for the ZX81 that you'd input and then all it did was flash 'you're a geek' (or similar)

I loved those

Our year was the first one to be offered computing at school - it wasn't timetabled, we had to do it in our lunchtimes on giant BBC computers. Our electronics teacher taught it, he was an ubergeek.

I think that set me on my way
I do remember typing in a few of those, madness when you look back on it.

We couldn't afford a BBC in our house (or school), I had to settle for an Electron at home ... It run Elite, Repton and Aviator so I was happy

Some years later I picked up a Model B at boot fair complete with disk drive, monitor and a pile of floppies. When I was travelling I left it at my Mum's, she chucked it out thinking it was rubbish

Can emulate all the old stuff now for a quick hit of nostalgia ... Right On Commander!
Old Dec 12th 2012, 10:45 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Can emulate all the old stuff now for a quick hit of nostalgia ... Right On Commander!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...toys.beebdroid
Old Dec 13th 2012, 12:29 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Mine can't understand my accent - I had the same problem earlier with the telstra automated phone line thingy, it only speaks Aussie not English
Try being Scottish
Old Dec 13th 2012, 12:36 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Try being Scottish
Good lord, why?
Old Dec 13th 2012, 12:57 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Good lord, why?
Old Dec 13th 2012, 1:06 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.