Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Teacher's aide jobs - questions

Teacher's aide jobs - questions

Old Aug 23rd 2008, 12:11 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Teacher's aide jobs - questions

I'm thinking about trying for a teachers aide job when the new school year starts in January.

I'm hoping that someone can help answer some questions for me.

1. When are these jobs usually advertised? I'm going to assume sometime in December so that they have it filled for the end of January.

2. How are they advertised? Are most of the jobs on websites like SEEK or would it be best to talk to a couple schools directly to see what they've got. I'm really only interested in the 2-3 schools around me so that might be the best way.

3. What sort of qualifications would they require? I'm actually a registered teacher in QLD so I would think I'd be over qualified. Would they still expect me to hold the teacher's aide qualifications or would they accept my degree?

4. Do you think they would even look at me? I see my degree as a bit of a down side actually. I would think they would assume I wasn't serious or that I wouldn't be able to handle working under another teacher. My reasons for wanting the job are simple. I don't really want to work full time, I want to avoid casual relief work it I can. Most of all though I just love working at the schools and with the kids and teachers. I don't really care what kind of work I'm doing. I just want to be able to help out. I like that there's less responsibility because I don't really want to have to bring home lesson planning or marking everyday like I used to.

5. What sort of hourly rate should I expect to see?

6. How many hours a week are they usually, and how are they spread out? I'm hoping for about 15 hours a week, possibly up to 20. I assume it would work out to about 3-4 hours a day.

Lastly, I already know that teachers aide jobs might be hard to come by. So it's not the end of the world if it doesn't work out. I still have the option of doing a day or two of relief work teaching high school math. I'm sure I can get lots of work that way. Or my other alternative is just to find a part time job doing office work, which I also enjoy.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 1:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teacher's aide jobs - questions

You may find some of the information you are seeking here It looks as if recruitment is at the local school level but the basic information about job vacancies seems to be here with links onwards.

I think getting yourself out there in the schools that you are interested in and maybe doing some volunteer work is going to help - it aint what you know in Aust, but who you know!
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 2:26 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the links. Unfortunatley that doesn't really answer my question about qualifications. I've had a look at the certificates that are mentioned and basically I've already done all that and much more in my teacher training. Whether or not the would recognize that is another story. I'm not sure if they'd ignore me because I don't have the right certificates, or whether they would look at me because I have an appropriate degree.

In my mind if a teachers aide is helping a teacher with some of the duties he/she would normally perform. So, you'd think that a qualified teacher would be able to fill the role of a teachers aide quite well.

As far as finding a job goes I have been checking out the Queensland website as well as SEEK. I would like to go around and talk to a couple of schools around me, or alternatively, email them to see what their responses are.

Unfortunately at the moment I still have two little kids at home so it's not the best time to do a face to face talk. Which is why I'm trying to get all my questions answered on here. I will have relatives visiting during November & December so I will have lots of babysitting to go and talk to the schools.

Come January my oldest will be in prep full time and the youngest will go into daycare (part time) if I can find a job.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 4:40 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

My neighbour is a qualified teacher but gave it up to have her son and now is a teacher's aide - not sure if she had to do the TA course or not. I think in a lot of schools the jobs often go to parents that are already helping voluntarily - but not always. I'll ask my neighbour next time I see her.

Rebecca
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 4:46 am
Canuck/Aussie

Thanks good to know. I would love to get back into teaching but I know that I couldn't put the time & effort into it that I'd like to. Not unless I had the kids in day care full time, which I don't really want to do.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 5:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

One of the mums I've met at the girls' day care centre used to be a principal in the UK and is now a teacher's aide (perhaps teacher now? I can't remember exactly) at a local state primary. You shouldn't be discriminated against because you're overqualified.

Mrs JTL
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Got a couple of mates who do it. Both did a Tafe course, pay $18 an hour approx.

Downside is the work mostly done by parent volunteers and the few paid positions seem to go to those with contacts in the school or a lot of volunteer hours first. Most of the jobs are casual on call. One lady moved right opposite the school as the hours are usually by a phone call at 8.15 be here now, interesting if you have to get kids to childcare etc . I think the positions with regular hours are very highly sought after.

The way OZ loves certificates and qualifications surely you being a teacher would go down very well so you might have an edge on some applicants.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 5:32 am
Canuck/Aussie

I guess we'll see what happens then. I know in Oz they seem to love their qualifications that's why I wasn't sure if they'd like the substitue. I don't think they should hold the degree against me, but you never know.

If it does seem to be on an 'on call basis' then I wouldn't be able to do it. I would need some definite days so I could set up the youngest in childcare. Once I've got the childcare arranged it really doesn't matter if one day it's a morning, and the next an afternoon, as long as I get some work those days.

Oh well. I guess I'll be making a few phone calls or emails next week to see what I can find out. I'll update if I find anything interesting.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Cant help about Queensland but in ACT all you need to be a STA is a clean police record and given the low rates of pay it is probably the same all over. A first aid cert would seem to mandatory.

Advice from this site indicates that no formal qualifications are required. I would think that any school worth their salt would be grabbing a qualified teacher in the role with both hands - you have a whole lot more to offer than a cert III aide.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 9:26 am
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by quoll
I would think that any school worth their salt would be grabbing a qualified teacher in the role with both hands - you have a whole lot more to offer than a cert III aide.
I hope you're right!
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 2:14 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,,

Might be worth while contacting a local school and discussing with the principle. Hope it all comes good for you.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 6:00 am
Canuck/Aussie

I know this is an old thread now but thought I'd post an update anyway.

I decided that once my daughter started Prep in January that I would put the youngest in daycare for 2 days a week. This has given me a bit of free time and an opportunity to do casual work on those days if it's available.

I spoke to the person who handles these roles at my daughters school back in November and again 3 weeks ago and officially put my name on the casual teachers aide list. I finally got my first call last Friday and worked the whole school day. I also got another call yesterday for a full day, so that was good.

I think there has been so many people out sick lately that they must be running out of casuals to call! I'm pretty sure my name would be at the bottom of the list, but good for me though because I've managed to get a bit of work.

The rest of the time I enjoy my day off and spend an hour or two volunteering in my daughters class during daycare days. It works for me and I'm happy even if I only get called in once a month. So we'll see how often I get the call.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

comet555;

do you have any qualifications at all, if not then most schools now seem to advertise via the education Website for positions.

the time fraction for employment in schools depends on there Finances & demand for the position withing the education system.

at the very least you shall have to get the working with children certification in any state, if your a teacher qualified then you may get work in your area as a CRT.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 6:25 am
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
comet555;

do you have any qualifications at all, if not then most schools now seem to advertise via the education Website for positions.

the time fraction for employment in schools depends on there Finances & demand for the position withing the education system.

at the very least you shall have to get the working with children certification in any state, if your a teacher qualified then you may get work in your area as a CRT.
I have a Bachelor of Education (high school mathematics) and I am a current Queensland registered teacher.

So qualifications don't seem to be an issue. The person responsible for managing the teachers aides was very happy to have a qualified teacher and didn't mention undertaking another other training or certificates. She did ask if I had a blue card and I said no, but she said as I was a registered QLD teacher I wouldn't need one as they do their own checks on registration.

I did also speak with her about doing some relief teaching work. Basically that doesn't really work for me though as my daughters prep has a different schedule than the senior campus, so I would not be able to drop her off or pick her up on time. So not interested in that at the moment, although I did say if they just needed to fill one class in the middle of the day then I could do that.

I'm not concerned about how much work I get. I've decided that my son will be in daycare 2 days a week anyway and if I'm not working then I can take some time to relax and volunteer in my daughters class if I want. We don't need the money, mostly I would like to just get back to work on a small scale and also that little bit of money I will make will pay for the childcare I use.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 9:26 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought i'd add that here in Perth a special needs assistant earns approx $24 per hour.... job are advertised on the government web site

I got in on my UK qualifications, i have never had to do an Aus course/conversion

I hold a 2 year degree in child and youth studies which led into education degree had i continued in UK

Best way to get in though is submit CV to all local schools for relief and then from there you get to hear when the jobs are going to be advertised so you can apply .. plus you have that school as experience for the selection criteria